Accidental catfish catches

Started by BrandonK, September 02, 2018, 08:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonK

Anyone else catch some nice cats while bass fishing? I've caught some really decent blue cats by me. Thinking I am going to start targeting them sometimes, on artificials. The larger blues and flatheads are predators for sure.

coldfront

yes.  10-15 pound class blues.  have one channel in that range.  one 20+flat.

I routinely encounter them along rip rap, and the bait of choice here has been a Rapala DT6 in either river shad or real bluegill.  that current thing really seems to help.

I like the river as there are bass 'to keep me engaged' while waiting on that big BAM!

big drum jump on those baits too.   ~shade

caught on on the lake.  was seeing surface activity with a shad school getting 'slashed'.  tried topwater with no takers.  tied on a strike king flatsided crank and ran it about 8 feet down under the school.

saltystick

This cat took a while to get in:

I've caught others in the same lake also on soft plastic lures:

SteveTX

Just posted a thread and saw this afterwards. Caught on a 1oz Oldham Trailer Hitch jig.

apenland01

I weighed in a 3.75 pound catfish last month as my goon fish for a tournament.  It slammed a craw colored Terminator Shudderbait.  Never caught a bass on that bait, but it sure pulled the catfish up out of the muck.  I thought I was winning the tournament until I saw it in the net.....

Unfortunately, another guy caught a 6.5 pound catfish on a jig.....

SteelHorseCowboy

I can't tell you how many cats I've caught, but I've never caught one on artificial bait.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 26, 2019, 02:06:22 PM
I can't tell you how many cats I've caught, but I've never caught one on artificial bait.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I've only caught three. One 17lb on a Gene Larew Rattlin Crawler in Blackberry Sapphire color t rigged and this one I just posted earlier on a 1oz Oldham Trailer Hitch jig in Black/Blue/Purple. The last was a small 2 lb or so one on a 3/8oz Pro Series NuJig.