Finesse baitcaster

Started by PSUangler, September 04, 2018, 08:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUangler

Hey guys, hoping I can get some advice here.  I'm looking for a finesse casting reel - 8# flouro, weightless soft jerkbaits, spybaits.  The more I read on here, the more lost I feel.  Plan on pairing it with a ML Phenix rod.  I'm looking for a good option that I don't have to immediately upgrade bearings, etc.  I have a few Daiwa Tats and a few Lews, have not fished a Shimano baitcaster yet - the Tat SV has treated me well, but no brand preferences here.  Thanks in advance.

LgMouthGambler

A reel that is a "true" finesse is gonna swing in some big dollars. However, you can substitute them for a reel that has a shallow light spool. After all, the spool is What is the major component in the equation, as well as having the right rod and line for the job. Whats your budget?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

PSUangler

LgMouthGambler

Right hand or left hand, and do you prefer a brand?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

PSUangler

LgMouthGambler

Are you looking for something fast? You are gonna need a bit of line capacity for long casts. Might limit you.

<")))>{

Sandman7925

For $350 you can get the Calcutta conquest BFS from japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

If you want to cast lighter with smaller line, just grab one of these and you are still ahead of the game

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122603272217

<")))>{

PSUangler

Wish I had given it more thought and asked all the right questions right off the bat.  Roughly 6:1, not really sure how far I can cast a weightless fluke on 6# spinning gear, but roughly that distance (not much help I know).  I was looking at the Shimano 18 Aldebaran MGL 30 on JapanTackle.

https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/shimano/low-profile-casting-reels/shimano-18aldebaranmgl.html

LgMouthGambler

Pixy is gonna be a superior reel overall. Newer Shimanos arent what they used to be overall build. Most people that have the newer Aldebarans arent that impressed for the money over the older options from Daiwa and Shimano. The only thing Shimano has brought to the table lately is the factory reels with more shallow lighter spools. About a decade or more late compared to Daiwa and spool/reel options.

<")))>{

PSUangler

Thanks!  I really appreciate the advice.

Mike Cork

You keep going back to a fluke and mentioned 8-pound line in the OP. That set up is screaming for a Shimano 70. It's about $200 but look around and you might get it between 180-90.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

redux

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 05, 2018, 10:01:00 AM
You keep going back to a fluke and mentioned 8-pound line in the OP. That set up is screaming for a Shimano 70. It's about $200 but look around and you might get it between 180-90.

I've been biting my tongue because I say this too often. The 70/71 is amazing finesse reel. I think it is worth buying a set of full or hybrid ceramic bearings for this reel, but the stock bearings are great too. Also, consider filling about half of the spool up with braid backing.

For the rod what length, power, and action are you planning to use?
You can't win of you're not in.

PSUangler

I have a 7'2", ML, Fast Phenix Feather arriving soon.  I didnt want to drop a bunch of $ at first, but after I see if I like fishing with a light baitcasting setup, I can explore different rod options.

FloridaFishinFool

I agree with mike and redux on the 70/71 reel. But I would like to toss the new curado DC into this thread because the DC technology helps the fisherman make longer casts especially with lighter lures.

I asked one of our shimano reps years ago - long before the 70/71 was even thought of what was his opinion on this very subject and without hesitation he said Calcutta DC. Hands down one of the finest casters ever made he said. The curado DC is derivative of this technology specially tweaked settings for American way of fishing. So shimano came up with only 4 adjustments to the new curado DC reel to simplify use.

Point is, the Curado DC may beat the 70/71 in casting distance for lighter lures but since it is so new there is very little data online about this issue for this reel.

But don't discount it!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

redux

Quote from: PSUangler on September 05, 2018, 11:15:57 AM
I have a 7'2", ML, Fast Phenix Feather arriving soon.  I didnt want to drop a bunch of $ at first, but after I see if I like fishing with a light baitcasting setup, I can explore different rod options.

Sheesh ML! Are you going to be casting meatballs with that noodle? ~roflmao

I do all my light casting on a 7' MH Fast rod. It is a very light rod. I would guess that a ML will be great once you dial in all the details on the reel.

The DC definitely seems like it is going to be a nice finesse reel, but since I ain't used one I wouldn't recommend it.  lo Also, I really like Shimano but I have to be honest when I say that I am suspicious of any "cheaper" version of a high-tech piece of equipment.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: redux on September 05, 2018, 12:07:01 PM
I am suspicious of any "cheaper" version of a high-tech piece of equipment.

If it were shakespeare or similar I'd probably agree with you. But we are talking about shimano. As in number one tackle company in all the world. They earned this reputation every step of the way to the top.

Point is shimano is not in business to make junk. Making the curado DC was an important step forward for shimano and I don't think they want to hurt their reputation by bringing top of he line high tech into a mid line reel. I trust shimano. They have not let me down like others have.

I'm sure this will be a point of discussion later Mr. Suspicious
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

LgMouthGambler

I think the key word you guys are missing here is "finesse". Hes talking about using a ML rod, and some are suggesting a Curado DC?  ~b~ Not a finesse reel guys, nor is the 70/71. But hey, what do I know.  ~beer~

Mike Cork

Finesse means a lot of things. He's talking about a fluke so the 70 will be fine if not perfect IMO on a Medium Light rod. The Shimano 70 is not a miniature reel by any means but it's small and light. I agree a DC will be pretty heavy for a Medium Light rod.

PSUangler, what other baits will you be fishing with this set up?

Are we talking lighter than a fluke, like a small bream beetle spin, tiny pop r's, weightless four-inch soft plastics...

Are you trying to get into micro fishing or are you just looking for something to through a fluke well on the rod you already have?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

I agree on the "fluke" point. That is by no means "finesse", unless its a tiny fluke that is only about 2-3" total, and would be in the 2-7 gram range. Otherwise, hes gonna have a helluva time with a hookset with a full size fluke on a ML rod and 8lb line.  lo

FloridaFishinFool

Mike are you talking about weight of the reel being too heavy for a ML rod? I did not consider that.

If any of you Google "curado DC light lures" you will find it is a part of the corporate sales pitch and hyped in reviews and articles on the reel.

Just think about what this reel offers... A true free spinning spool with a computer adjusting the brakes only when needed.

Now compare that to Daiwa a company that does not make a true free spinning reel because you can never turn off the magnets. No matter what the setting those magnets are still affecting the spool even on lowest setting. Always on while with the DC the on board computer checks spool rotation speed 1000 times per second and makes the perfect brake adjustment for you during every second of the cast. Blows magnets right out of the water.

DC technology improves cast ability and is proven which is why shimano worked to bring it to the masses in this new reel.

It is designed to cast lighter lures with precision.

LgMouthGambler

Where is the "palm in face" emoji?  ~fl

PSUangler

When I say "fluke", I mean soft jerks in general.  I use weightless 4" sluggos and 5" flukes quite a bit with light wire hooks exposed, or nose hooked and 6# flourocarbon with a 7' medium, fast spinning rod.  Some super weary smallies up my way.  That 'fluke' gets me some fish when I can't buy a bite on other lures.

I've also been reading a bit about spybaits and think they might be useful here if I can get the technique down.  Super clear water, easy to raise a bruiser of a smallmouth to the surface in 40' of water with a fluke.  Getting them to eat is a different story.

I'm looking at 6-8 grams for the sluggo/fluke.  10.5-15 grams for the spybaits.  So 3/16 oz - 1/2 oz.

redux

3/16 to 1/2 is not finesse at all  lo

IMHO you'll be gold with a 70/71 since that is not a finesse reel  ;D