Daiwa TD Z

Started by LgMouthGambler, September 04, 2018, 08:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

A reel that is now officially 20 years old. The Daiwa TD Z was introduced in 1998. Its main appeal was the fact that it was amazingly light, and very versatile. Being another flagship baitcaster next to the Steez, they both had similar qualities, as well as sharing the same spool dimensions.

A couple of different models including the 103H, 100M, Type R, and Type R+ to name a few, all sharing the Magnesium construction. 103 models with the 34mm Gigas spool, and the 100M in the 36mm Gigas spool with more capacity. The Type R and Type R+ have the conical shaped red R+ inductor (also shared in the Steez 103H), the R+ model having a few cutouts on the frame hood, and red star drag and cast control cap. Also, the Type R was a 6.3 gear ratio, while the Type R+ had the 5.7 gear ratio.

Ive held off long enough dipping into one of these reels, and now that the frenzy is over, have found a few for a great deal. I managed to find a Type R and a 103H practically new. Being they are a 20 year old reel, its hard to find them in decent shape, let along looking like they have barely been used. The type R may never get used as its a rare bird, but the 103H on the other hand will be.

There are endless possibilities to tuning these reels, and making them totally customized. Colored anodized parts, and many different factory Daiwa parts that can be swapped. Sure, I could go all out and crazy, but Im not going to. Basically, just gonna give it a good "modernizing". The common things that are changed are alls im going to do. Removing the factory star drag to a swept one from a Steez, and by doing this I can add a swept handle. The other modifications are going to be to enhance the performance. With that its a simple changing of the drag discs and spool bearings.

Stay tuned as I am awaiting the delivery from Japan of the reels, and the delivery of my parts from my boys at Tackle Trap.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Here are some images of the 103H

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Here are some images of the beloved Type R.

<")))>{

1ReelFanatik

I kind of like the TD-Zs.  Don't have very many.  A TD-Z 103ML, three TD-Z 105H and a TD-Z 103HL Type R.  No pictures.  Ian has tuned all three 105Hs.  Sweet reels.   ;D

LgMouthGambler

They have arrived.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

God, they are just some of the nicest pieces of machinery Ive ever seen.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

This 103H seems to be unmolested.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

I'm done cleaning it, and now I'm just waiting for a few parts to come in.

<")))>{

Oldfart9999

Those look very nice, clean, sleek and all business.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cport

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 11, 2018, 08:18:09 PM
This 103H seems to be unmolested.

<")))>{

Consider it now molested, you reel perv!
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Put the TDZ together with the new parts.

Just a touch of red to let you know there is some "tune" in there.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

Spooled the reel with 17lb Stren Magnathin, and mounted it on the Dobyns Champ 704 to play with during lunch.

1ReelFanatik

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on September 14, 2018, 07:56:14 PM
How did playtime go?
Pretty good. This thing is very smooth, and launches. I was considering putting the Type R spool in it, but I don't need to. I was only using an 1/8oz weight a baby brush hog, which is pretty light for the line I was using. Just wanted to see what it was capable of. I'm gonna use a 1/4oz weight with this, and it should get an easy 30-40yds distance, but that's stretching the hookset ability with the mono line. Since I have the SV105HS to use with the lighter weights, this reel will be better for the heavier setup. Should be able to get out next weekend, and I'll bring the SV105HS, Steez, and this TD Z to play with all day.

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

Decided to go ahead and put the Type R spool in it, and spool it with 10lb Senshi mono. I also replaced the aluminum handle with a carbon fiber one. My next outing I am planning a canal trip to a place I haven't been in a while due to hyacinth growth. Should be pretty cleared up by now.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk