Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a finesse reel?  (Read 174 times)

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
What is a finesse reel?
« on: September 06, 2018, 06:10:47 AM »

Some on here seem to not realize what makes a reel a "finesse" reel. In an average, a finesse reel is one that is specially designed for casting light baits in the 1-7gram range. More of the extreme versions are aimed to the 1-3grams. But, most of USDM marketed products are not in the lighter end of the "finesse" spectrum. So, for arguments sake, lets just cap it at the 7 grams.

The most important feature of the reel is the spool. It has to be very light for it to get that "start up" speed, and get it quickly. The brakes and bearings are also an important in the equation as that you have to be able to control the spools action. Being able to cast effortlessly and not worry about the possibility of an over run is a plus. Thats where the many different types of braking systems come into play. Daiwas magnetic control is very nice as it has almost a "variable" control as you cast, and will emit more brake force if you cast hard to help regain control. Shimanos VBS system has the ability to use different brake tabs that have a different weight to them, which allows different brake pressures to be set and customized to your liking.

Here I will show you a few images of what I mean about reels that have shallow spools, or spools designed for lighter baits&lines. The first reel is my Daiwa PX68R, one of the best "all around" finesse reels IMO. The next picture will show you my Shimano Scorpion XT1000 with a Yumeya shallow spool. The spool outside the reel shows yoj how shallow it is. The next reel is my 09Aldebaran MG, which has a Avail honeycomb spool. 2 pictures without and with line on the reel.

Hopefully this thread helps some to understand what a "finesse" real really is.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Stren_g

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: What is a finesse reel?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »

LMG how about a comparison shot with a stock spool from something like a tatula ct or a curado 200, or any other popular reel you may have laying around? Something to give folks a reference to get their "bearings". I've been thinkin bout a PX68R for the tiny stuffs.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »

LMG how about a comparison shot with a stock spool from something like a tatula ct or a curado 200, or any other popular reel you may have laying around? Something to give folks a reference to get their "bearings". I've been thinkin bout a PX68R for the tiny stuffs.

Good point. Ill have to do that when I get home tonight.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »

Here are a few pictures to maybe help understand what the whole "finesse" idea with the whole "spool is important" thing.

First picture, from left to right: Yumeya spool (aftermarket Shimano 50Eseries spool), Curado100D spool (factory), 50E spool (factory), 200I spool (factory). Notice how shallow the 100D spool is. These reels were great back in the day for lighter baits, better in my opinion than the 50E factory spools. Even better when you took the ScorpionMG spool and put it into the 100D, as its got a more wiffled spool like the one in my 09Aldebaran.

The second picture will show you a few Daiwa spools. The left one is a stock spool out of a TD Fuego, which is also the same dimensions as the TD Zillion. This is Daiwas 100 size spool. Daiwas spool sizes are opposite of how Shimano does things. 100 is the deeper, then its 103, then to the most shallow the 105. The spool on the right is the stock spool from the Daiwa Pixy PX68/ Pixy Type R. Its more on the 105 side, but a bit more shallow.

<")))>{

Stren_g

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »

That'll put things in to perspective!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.