Shimano SLX

Started by LgMouthGambler, September 10, 2018, 10:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Just watched a video on this reel while having my morning breakfast. It looks pretty good in the $100 mark, and the size is rather impressive. Low bearing count, but I believe there is plenty of "room" for my tuner habit. Anybody order one yet? Anyone used one yet? Thoughts?

I am asking because I was a ble to take Daiwas Fuego CT and make it perform like a $300 reel, so Im intrigued to do the same with the SLX.

In the video he took spool weight, compared size to the Curado 70 and Casitas,  and showed the features of the brakes. Im highly thinking of picking one up to play around with. I kinda like the blue accents.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

I came across it the other day and spent some time looking at it. Didn't see the video yet. But at the price, the spool capacity and 8:1 retrieve, I was thinking it could be a good frog fishing platform that I can trash through the year and rebuild each season.

I have burnt my Mentanium in 18 months. It needs new gears and bearings bad.  :surrender: If I have to go through replacements versus just cleanings every year, I may as well look for a cheaper platform.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 10, 2018, 10:55:15 AM
I came across it the other day and spent some time looking at it. Didn't see the video yet. But at the price, the spool capacity and 8:1 retrieve, I was thinking it could be a good frog fishing platform that I can trash through the year and rebuild each season.

I have burnt my Mentanium in 18 months. It needs new gears and bearings bad.  :surrender: If I have to go through replacements versus just cleanings every year, I may as well look for a cheaper platform.

Yeah, I knew that was gonna happen with Mets, those gears are weak. One of the reasons I built the Citica I for Lou was the cost, and for frog fishing is a killer reel. This SLX seems like it would be a good contender for what you said about frog fishing. Hmm, Wife needed an idea for my Birthday gift... I am in the process of finding out what the levelwind and pawl materials are.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

I'll bet it is the new stuff. I personally haven't had a problem with the gear, nor have I had a single customer have issues with it.

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Metal pawl, plastic levelwind shaft.

Mike Cork

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 10, 2018, 12:42:29 PM
Metal pawl, plastic levelwind shaft.

So is that a no go for you? I know your opinion on the levelwind being space age plastic :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 10, 2018, 01:15:53 PM
So is that a no go for you? I know your opinion on the levelwind being space age plastic :surrender:

For a reel thats $100, Im not gonna be as picky. Now, when you wanna do that garbage in a reel thats $200 and up, then I get a bit pissed.  lo

Im sure I can get the reel for a good deal under MSRP, I just have to be patient.  ~rant

Mike Cork

I hear ya about money and materials.

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 10, 2018, 02:24:11 PM
I hear ya about money and materials.

Yeah, just makes no sense. Im just still boggled why they would use a metal pawl if they are using a plastic levelwind? They should have stuck to using the plastic pawl with the plastic levelwind.  ~b~

Mike Cork

Plastic and metal don't make sense to me either. But they test, retest and field staff test this stuff so I have faith. Besides, I don't keep reels that long, well I still have several E models in service but the rest don't last a year or so before I resale. I imagine you could move it quick if it didn't work for ya.

Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Just got confirmation on a few other things with this reel. There is no dual bearing support on the pinion, nor is there micro module gearing. Its got Super Free, and a VBS system. So basically, its like an E series with updated looks, and brakes. Im wondering how that is going to work with sales, as you can get the Citica I all day for $100 off ebay. Looks like they may pull the plug on the Citica I , and maybe bring out a Citica based on the K. ?

SteelHorseCowboy

How do the specs compare to the Caenan? Only reason I ask is because I've got that older model Caenan that I've beaten the absolute hell out of, and it's been great for what I've put into it: $15, clean and lube, and some spray paint.

Really, if anyone put me through the hell I put that reel through, I'd just roll over and die. But it's still kickin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dangerfield

This one should be interesting LMG I think we watched the same YTer "The Reel Test", he did a good job of breaking the reel down. I think it might be more solid then the Canen, as it has an aluminum frame with graphite side plates. Depending on what they charge for these north of the border, I might get ones of these add some new bearings over the pricier Tatula 3.0

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Dangerfield on September 12, 2018, 09:20:35 AM
This one should be interesting LMG I think we watched the same YTer "The Reel Test", he did a good job of breaking the reel down. I think it might be more solid then the Canen, as it has an aluminum frame with graphite side plates. Depending on what they charge for these north of the border, I might get ones of these add some new bearings over the pricier Tatula 3.0

Yep, that was the channel.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Dangerfield on September 12, 2018, 09:20:35 AM
So would you say it's about the same class as the Caenan but stronger?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on September 12, 2018, 11:21:02 AM
So would you say it's about the same class as the Caenan but stronger?

Yes. And a bit "updated".

<")))>{

SFL BassHunter

Looks like a decent reel. Whats the frame made of?
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on September 12, 2018, 01:47:30 PM
Looks like a decent reel. Whats the frame made of?

Aluminum frame, graphite sideplates.

SFL BassHunter

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 12, 2018, 11:54:12 AM
Yes. And a bit "updated".

<")))>{
Excellent. I've been happy with mine, may just get one of these sometime or another.
But I'm also really digging this round Black Max I picked up a few months ago, so may sink some money into it instead with some upgraded bearings and handle.

LgMouthGambler

Finally got around to ordering one of these. Lets see what I can do with it.

Pipepro

Watching to see what you can do with it.

I also like the blue accents and for the $100 price range some of the video reviews say it fishes way above its price.

I am going to pick one up so keep us posted on the upgrades you make and your opinion on durability and value.

2017 Stratos 186 VLO 115 SHO

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Pipepro on January 12, 2019, 11:46:28 AM
Watching to see what you can do with it.

I also like the blue accents and for the $100 price range some of the video reviews say it fishes way above its price.

I am going to pick one up so keep us posted on the upgrades you make and your opinion on durability and value.
I will have a full tear down coming.

<")))>{

BrandonK

Buddy of mine seems to absolutely love his

rb-nc

I bought my son two of these for Christmas. I personally saw him catch 15 on a jerkbait with it on New Years and he won a tournament flippin with the 8.1 last week. He seems to like it so far. He fishes every day and is going to evaluate and decide before the Classic if he wants more. The other he loves is the Daiwa Cr80