Big Bass In the Pads

Started by D.W. Verts, September 11, 2018, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Well, not as many as I hoped. I fished the pond today that I haven't been in all year 'cuz the sucker dern near dried up.

Recent rains brought it up to maybe 2-1/2' low, so I drug my kayak thru the tulies and puckerbushes for just one decent bass to fill out my IBass limit. A SKINNY brute, too-

I caught maybe six fish for about fifteen bites, all on the frog. And getting to the fish was a bad deal. This thing is a JUNGLE. It was hard to get the frog into the water on many casts.

I really figured that fishin' would be a little easier, but we're just one day post-front (and it was a GOOD front). I did lose, or miss (it happens) three right in a row that were all very decent with one of them being a little better than decent.

I reckon I'll save this place for October. Maybe we'll get some more rain, and with the cooler weather I won't have to share the boat with so many spiders.

Lake of the Ozarks tomorrow.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

the_huber_show

Nice catch.  Sounds like a rough but over all decent day
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Donald Garner

Dale, tks for sharing the trip and report with us.  Congrats on the catching also  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Dale and I would be happy to catch one like that any day. heck I would just be happy to catch one any size.  :'(

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteveTX

Looks bassy enough. Many places in your pic I would feel confident about a potential. I have a lot of area on my lake that is very similar. The lake was up 3ft the pads came then the lake dropped making the first wave of pads a great way to dangle a toad. But that's all they are good for. As you said they make it hard to get a toad in the water and a fish of any size out. I loose fish when I go in them like that too. Still fishing beats working  ;D

Mike Cork

I like the looks of that ~c~ ~c~ We got a ton of pad fishing around here and love every bit of it.

Nice bass, just can't compete with those pond giants in the IBass ~bb ~bb

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Dale, even your skinny ones make me drool.   :surrender:
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 12, 2018, 12:07:41 PM
I like the looks of that ~c~ ~c~ We got a ton of pad fishing around here and love every bit of it.

Nice bass, just can't compete with those pond giants in the IBass ~bb ~bb

Okay, so here's one from Lake of the Ozarks today...

Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Pacific NW Ron

Some nice fish and thanks for sharing the story. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

the_huber_show

Quote from: D.W. Verts on September 12, 2018, 08:28:09 PM
Okay, so here's one from Lake of the Ozarks today...

Dang I need some fish like that in my life!
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

basss

Wow, I thought I fished some pretty gnarley spots, but not like you.  I wouldn't have gone in there.

Nice catch(es)!
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard