Use of Smart Pads

Started by Mike B., September 13, 2018, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike B.

Anyone using a smart pad like an iPad or other brand in the boat?  With all the new technology apps and such I have read many articles from sailors and such that now mount smart pads in there boat to utilize mapping and other apps.  I know its hard to see an iPad or phone for that matter but they must have some solutions.  anyone else heard of this practice becoming more popular? 

Mike Cork

I've read the same thing and even seen some of the mounts. However, I don't know how they are beating the glare issues.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

Solution: take your wife and have her hold it....it qualifies as a date.....kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: WTodd on September 13, 2018, 03:21:44 PM
Solution: take your wife and have her hold it....it qualifies as a date.....kill 2 birds with 1 stone

That might work for you, but won't work in this household.  ~roflmao ~roflmao
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

WTodd

Nor for me; wifey says it's too hot although I do use occasions like this and call them dates

fishin couillon

I would think any type of tablet would overheat and shut down, especially in the south....ive tried to play music with my phone a few times and after 30 mins. it stopped cause it was reached a high temp. Acutally put it in my cooler on ice to help cool it down.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike B. on September 13, 2018, 02:01:10 PM
Anyone using a smart pad like an iPad or other brand in the boat?  With all the new technology apps and such I have read many articles from sailors and such that now mount smart pads in there boat to utilize mapping and other apps.  I know its hard to see an iPad or phone for that matter but they must have some solutions.  anyone else heard of this practice becoming more popular?
I've read about it in some boating mags. I have no idea how they make it work for them but it dows seem like a natural progression of technology to me.

My personal opinion is that soon we will be seeing large (24 + inch) computer monitors being used with marine electronics.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

CaptainSolo

I use my ipad all the time.  I use my phone too, but the ipad is alot nicer to have the big screen.  I like it for using google earth, imaps and the Navionics app satellite imagery, as well as being able to use it for the Navionics app, which I use the color shading quite a bit to cross reference my cards in my units. 

Mike B.

CaptainSolo,  Thank you for the insight, do you use your pad on the boat?  If so do you use a mount?  The Navionics app. with the ability to use color shading and satellite views is a great tool for me as well and I use them regularly to help setup my day on the water.  Personally, I use every tool I can to make my day on the water successful.  I agree the larger view is more helpful from the iPad especially for my old tired eyes Lol...I have heard many anglers using smart phones and iPads when possible.  I have my pad and phone in a Otter box case and it has always worked really well as far as protection goes.  seeing it with bright sun is a problem however, the shade of the console usually works fine.  I guess i'm pretty fortunate having good reception on all of my home waters, living and fishing mostly in Northern VA.  Thanks again for the input, just trying to get a feel of how other anglers are taking advantage of the technologies.  #FishSmarter

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike B. on September 20, 2018, 07:10:22 PM
CaptainSolo,  Thank you for the insight, do you use your pad on the boat?  If so do you use a mount?  The Navionics app. with the ability to use color shading and satellite views is a great tool for me as well and I use them regularly to help setup my day on the water.  Personally, I use every tool I can to make my day on the water successful.  I agree the larger view is more helpful from the iPad especially for my old tired eyes Lol...I have heard many anglers using smart phones and iPads when possible.  I have my pad and phone in a Otter box case and it has always worked really well as far as protection goes.  seeing it with bright sun is a problem however, the shade of the console usually works fine.  I guess i'm pretty fortunate having good reception on all of my home waters, living and fishing mostly in Northern VA.  Thanks again for the input, just trying to get a feel of how other anglers are taking advantage of the technologies.  #FishSmarter

Do you have an auto-brightness setting on your phone/tablet? It makes a huge difference for me on my phone. Under bright sunlight I can see everything almost crystal clear.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire