Finally bought a Motor Mate

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 14, 2018, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

After many years, I finally decided to try the Motor Mate product.  At one time they were a board sponsor on my site and we used to give one away from time to time.  For some reason I never got one for myself.  The new trailer has changed this a bit.  The traditional transom savor just is not the best deal for my trailer since it does not have a keel roller.  So, while the traditional unit is kinda ok I thought it was time to try something different.  I guess only time will tell if it was a good purchase.

adurbin

I absolutely love mine. I will never go back to a traditional Motor Toter set up. The motor mate is much easier and faster to remove and put back on after taking out of the water. Money well spent.
"I'm confused Everett. Did he mean all of 'em, or just this particular branch?"

Mike Cork

These are neat tools and if you fall on the right side of the fence, in fact, they are an excellent product. I caution Mercury owners that are still under warranty though. There is a little ground wire that the Motor Mate can accidentally pinch and brake. If this happens any issue, even obvious mechanical failure will be blamed on this broken ground and is cause to void the warranty.

It's been argued that the broken ground wire caused a computer issue which then caused a spark timing issue and at 6k rpm, this caused a reed failure and the blown motor. Had the wire been in tack the computer would have worked properly none of this would have happened. So the blown motor is the user's fault and the user is responsible for all repair costs.

Just a word of caution as I've seen it happen. This is not the fault of the Motor Mate, just watch for the wire when installing.  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

With my old Fast Strike there are no wires or anything else to get in the way or pinched.  Should be fairly simple.  Years ago they did not make one for my motor but since they were sold to epco they expanded the product line to include these old motors.  I hope it works.  Was supposed to be here today but everything is quite delayed due to the storm.  Should have it sometime fairly soon.

Mike Cork

Should work great. When I had an Evinrude Venom I switched to it and loved it. They are very simple. Your motor may have a built-in one?

Mine had a foot that could be rotated and the motor lowered to basically jam the foot into the motor mount.  :-* Most people didn't use them though because it was believed that the long Motor Toter took pressure off the transom by putting it on the trailer when going down the highway hitting potholes.

Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

You are correct, my motor does have a flip down deal but I never trusted it much.  I am hoping the motor mate will provide a much better angle and the extra heft is just a feel good factor for me although it probably don't make that much difference. 

Mike Cork

I don't know which exact model you purchased but it will do great.

Have you ever heard of one failing ~bb and if it did you know the internet would make it easy to hear about.

Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Congrats on the new purchase.  I was checking Mike's out a the UBCS event.  It does seem more user friendly than a motor totter.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

SteveTX

Congrats on the MotorMate purchase. They look simple to install and remove.

Not being a extremely long time boater I wondered why the flip down deal was not used for toting down the road? My 2000 Johnson 115 has one built in and I would love to use it instead of that transom saver bar that I have two bungee straps to deal with to keep it in place. The MotorMate appears to be placing the leverage point very close to the same place as the factory device. Can I use the built in device instead of the transom saver? 

Bud Kennedy

Steve many people do use the flip down deal on the Johnson motor, I just never have for reasons I mentioned earlier.  I suppose it is alright.  I still like the idea of something a bit more substantial especially if towing a distance and especially with a larger motor.  Could be like a lot of our fishing tackle and not really be necessary but what the heck. 

I'll post my feelings about this gadget after I get it installed and will take some pictures.  It has not arrive as yet as mail into this area has been cut off for about a week.  We got some mail today for the first time on since last Tuesday.  Maybe I'll get it tomorrow just don't know yet because there is a lot of flooding coming into Myrtle Beach and my unit is currently is in Columbia Sc and is on a hold status pending the opening of some other roads. 

SteveTX

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 17, 2018, 07:33:05 PM
Steve many people do use the flip down deal on the Johnson motor, I just never have for reasons I mentioned earlier.  I suppose it is alright.  I still like the idea of something a bit more substantial especially if towing a distance and especially with a larger motor.  Could be like a lot of our fishing tackle and not really be necessary but what the heck. 

I'll post my feelings about this gadget after I get it installed and will take some pictures.  It has not arrive as yet as mail into this area has been cut off for about a week.  We got some mail today for the first time on since last Tuesday.  Maybe I'll get it tomorrow just don't know yet because there is a lot of flooding coming into Myrtle Beach and my unit is currently is in Columbia Sc and is on a hold status pending the opening of some other roads.
Thanks I will look forward to seeing what you think about it once you get it. I just thought man for my deal it would be so much easier to use the built in one. I just assumed it was for maintenance reasons they put it there not for hauling. I usually don't go far however about 4 miles is a bumpy blacktop road.

Bud Kennedy

The USPS has finally been able to get the motor mate to Myrtle Beach and it will be delivered tomorrow September 19th.   It had been held in Columbia pending opening of some of the roads in this area.

Polaris425

I loved mine. I'll never go back to traditional style.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Bud Kennedy

The Motor Mate has arrived today.  Immediately installed on the motor and I just gotta say it was an absolutely perfect fit.  Installation time was about 10 seconds.  I have attached some pictures to show it before and after install.  Yes I did select this color since us vision impaired guys like things that are easy to see.  As it turns out it was no big deal and any color would have been just fine.

Princeton_Man

While I've been following this thread, I haven't felt I had a whole lot to contribute. I've never noticed/seen the Motor Mate in use and never really considered one because it doesn't accomplish the same thing that a Transom Saver does which is prevent flex & stress on the transom while locking the motor in a fixed position.
With the flip down device in addition to not relieving any stress/flex on the thransom, I've always felt that the motor swinging from side to side in the curves and turns as it does with the flip down device was hard on the steering components, particularly with cable steering.

Seeing it installed on that Johnson I can say it looks like a lot better choice than the flip down support that's included on the Evinrude/Johnson motors. It appears the Motor Mate does prevent the motor from turning from side to side which is a big issue with the integrated flip down support.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Jim, I admit that I too was skeptical.  As this has turned out I could not be happier.  The motor absolutely is locked down and is not going anywhere including from side to side.  This thing is rock solid would be the best way to describe it.  No don't forget this is from someone who for the past 40 years has always used a transom savor from the lower unit to the trailer.  FYI there is no lower unit contact with this device.and is amazingly solid.  I think this was $100. well spent

adurbin

Quote from: SteveTX on September 17, 2018, 07:17:59 PM
Congrats on the MotorMate purchase. They look simple to install and remove.

Not being a extremely long time boater I wondered why the flip down deal was not used for toting down the road? My 2000 Johnson 115 has one built in and I would love to use it instead of that transom saver bar that I have two bungee straps to deal with to keep it in place. The MotorMate appears to be placing the leverage point very close to the same place as the factory device. Can I use the built in device instead of the transom saver?

I never used the flip down for anything more than moving the boat around the yard/driveway. On my old 'Rude, it held the motor up, but didn't do anything to hold it straight, meaning that the tension was on the cable steer all the way left, or right. I never felt comfortable with that to drive down the road with it that way. I felt like any bump could break a steering cable.
"I'm confused Everett. Did he mean all of 'em, or just this particular branch?"

SteveTX

Quote from: adurbin on September 21, 2018, 09:32:14 AM
I never used the flip down for anything more than moving the boat around the yard/driveway. On my old 'Rude, it held the motor up, but didn't do anything to hold it straight, meaning that the tension was on the cable steer all the way left, or right. I never felt comfortable with that to drive down the road with it that way. I felt like any bump could break a steering cable.
Yeah I didn't comment after reading and being reminded it didn't hold the left to right movement I ditched that idea.

FlatsNBay

I did find a big fault with them. I've had to buy two.  If you forget and leave it on the back deck of your boat and go over a wave, they don't float!!!! Ask me, I know.