Froggy got me out of jam today.

Started by Capt. BassinLou, September 15, 2018, 08:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Fished the Everglades for a bit this afternoon and the fish were not making it easy for me,  but I did  manage to come across these two hungry beauties.

For the full report click here -----> Florida Bass Fishing Reports

FloridaFishinFool

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteveTX

Pacific NW Ron

Some nice fish.  Congrats on the catch.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

geneinnc

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 15, 2018, 08:10:40 PM
Fished the Everglades for a bit this afternoon and the fish were not making it easy for me,  but I did  manage to come across these two hungry beauties.

For the full report click here -----> Florida Bass Fishing Reports
What lb braid and what knot are you using
I finally went to braid/fleurocarbon this year. Tried 20lb braid with a bowline knot for its universal property. One more lost frog.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: geneinnc on September 16, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
What lb braid and what knot are you using
I finally went to braid/fleurocarbon this year. Tried 20lb braid with a bowline knot for its universal property. One more lost frog.

65 lb braid, and the Fish N Fool knot.

geneinnc

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 16, 2018, 10:31:35 AM
38lb braid is the heaviest i have, 12 lb Sniper leader. The only brush we have are dead trees. Ill try that knot. Should work well when im dropping lures in the trees and striper fishing.

Thanks

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: geneinnc on September 16, 2018, 11:07:12 AM
38lb braid is the heaviest i have, 12 lb Sniper leader. The only brush we have are dead trees. Ill try that knot. Should work well when im dropping lures in the trees and striper fishing.

Thanks

The minimum I throw for frogging is 40lbs in open to light cover conditions. When the cover is moderate to heavy I go with 50-65lbs. I do not use leaders for frog fishing.  The hooksets are too powerful, and leader knots will not withstand those forces for too long.

Lipripper

Them are a couple of nice looking Frog fish Lou.  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

geneinnc

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 16, 2018, 11:32:02 AM
The minimum I throw for frogging is 40lbs in open to light cover conditions. When the cover is moderate to heavy I go with 50-65lbs. I do not use leaders for frog fishing.  The hooksets are too powerful, and leader knots will not withstand those forces for too long.
Frog work in the fall i guess, until the sun hits the water? I never used the frog during the spawn. Have to remember, 20 year layoff was like starting over lure wise. I tried the Ned rig first, then the whopper plopper and stuck with sammy and buzzbaits up top. Caught my best bass on worm since i had used it forever. After getting used to new lures I caught more bass this year than ever and hit one stretch of 3.5 or bigger 6 straight weeks. To you thats nothing but up here its a lot. I didnt even know we had spotted bass. For some reason i really caught the spots. 4 on the NC trophy list.

Im not bragging, just telling you guys my progress. Its like any sport, listen to anyone thats better than me.

Im down to one solid black frog. Ive read black or white is a great place to start.

Im here to learn and guide anyone having trouble with Lake Hickory in tournaments since ive got 20 plus years there.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: geneinnc on September 16, 2018, 12:33:03 PM

After getting used to new lures I caught more bass this year than ever and hit one stretch of 3.5 or bigger 6 straight weeks. To you thats nothing but up here its a lot.
Im down to one solid black frog. Ive read black or white is a great place to start.

To me, I will take 3.5lbrs all day long. I'm an equal opportunity frogger. If a bass, regardless of its weight, is willing to play, I'm game.  lo lo

As far as frog colors, I vary colors base on situations. I have had lots of success since I was introduced to white frogs a few years ago, but sometimes I have learned, a change in color at the right time will increase the hook up ratio.

Donald Garner

Lou congrats on the catching and tks for sharing those pictures with us also. ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Donald Garner on September 16, 2018, 01:22:25 PM
Lou congrats on the catching and tks for sharing those pictures with us also. ~c~

Thanks Donald.

Capt. BassinLou

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 16, 2018, 10:31:35 AM
Guess I just learned me a new knot. I had never seen or heard of the Fish N Fool knot till I read your reply. I did some research and as soon as I saw how it went I was like  :-* I like the way that looks a lot. Not that I have a problem with a polymer knot which is what I use on my frogs but I will be trying this Fish N Fool knot. Thanks for the tip.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on September 16, 2018, 01:58:29 PM
Guess I just learned me a new knot. I had never seen or heard of the Fish N Fool knot till I read your reply. I did some research and as soon as I saw how it went I was like  :-* I like the way that looks a lot. Not that I have a problem with a polymer knot which is what I use on my frogs but I will be trying this Fish N Fool knot. Thanks for the tip.
Glad I could help Steve. I have been using the Fish N Fool for a couple of months now, and I gotta say, it's a solid knot. I had my go to knot  as well and used it for over 20 yrs. But as soon as I came across the old Fish N Fool knot, I knew it was the knot for me. I use 5-6 turns before I cinch the knot down, and with 65lb braid, this knot will hold a dump truck.

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 16, 2018, 02:03:18 PM
Glad I could help Steve. I have been using the Fish N Fool for a couple of months now, and I gotta say, it's a solid knot. I had my go to knot  as well and used it for over 20 yrs. But as soon as I came across the old Fish N Fool knot, I knew it was the knot for me. I use 5-6 turns before I cinch the knot down, and with 65lb braid, this knot will hold a dump truck.
That is what I liked about it was the design the way it looks to hold the line just makes sense.
Im looking for that dumptruck girl.  lo ;D

basss

1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard