New rod model in news letter

Started by rb-nc, September 16, 2018, 10:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rb-nc

SteveTX

Quote from: rb-nc on September 16, 2018, 10:56:44 AM
The Xtasy series is coming soon
I got my newsletter and honestly skimmed through it but I must have missed that part.  :shocking:

Smallie_Stalker

I saw that. Sounds very impressive. The price point is gonna be steep for the average angler, but then again these aren't designed for the "average" angler.

Gary just keeps improving his lineup.  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

loomisguy

I'm not crazy about the name but I'm looking forward to trying one.

mygreenihc

I saw that in the newsletter.  I think they will be a little out of my price range,  but I sure would like to play around with one.  On second thought,  playing around with one might be an expensive mistake.  I would bet that these new rods are incredible.

Brad

spencerinstl

So, when are these going to be available to purchase?  When can we see what they look like?

Gary Dobyns

We do have these in stock. We're behind a bit with website info. I'm pleasantly surprised at sales with such limited info available from us.

Torizite Guides is what really drives price up on these rods. But, I couldn't try and build the best rod without that Fuji guide.

The name Xtasy, it was a challenge for me. I had great dealer convince me to use it. His reasoning was simply too good.

These are all "feel" rods so I made only limited models. Spinning 721,722,723,752,753 and in casting 723,724,753,754,755. So far sales are best in 7'2" models in both casting and spinning. This is a shocker to me. I love the 7'5" models.

Thanks guys!!

rb-nc

Gary do you think the 7'2" is doing so good is because they are comparing them to the Megabass rods? That length is their bread and butter

Mike Cork

I've got the swear word jar on the desk and it fills up fast at the first of the month around here. I might be able to get one before too long. :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

rb-nc

Bring your jar and come work with me in the chicken house and on the farm for a while. In two days you can afford it, a week and you can buy me one too

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 24, 2018, 09:15:46 AM
I've got the swear word jar on the desk and it fills up fast at the first of the month around here. I might be able to get one before too long. :-*

sounds like inspiration?   ~roflmao

agreed:  LOVE my 7 5's

Ranger621

5-8 lb smallmouth on the Great Lakes!!!
7'5" for me all day long

spencerinstl

the_huber_show

Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

LgMouthGambler

Hell, for that price id rather go custom. Over $300 for a factory rod is really pushing the envelope for me.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 11, 2018, 08:52:26 AM
Hell, for that price id rather go custom. Over $300 for a factory rod is really pushing the envelope for me.

+1  I agree totally

Sc Bassin

My Cardiologist Was very surprised on how well I am doing. I have to take my B/P & heart rate  twice a day, log them in & bring my log next month when I see him. If I get the ok to get back in my boat I see a DRX 753 C in my future. Looking at the specs I think that line will be hard to beat.

Mike Cork

You guys mention custom and that's basically what this rod is. It's all the quality blank, best eyelets, threads, handles that one might choose in a custom rod. I get what you're saying though, you'd rather pick the pieces.

Gary knew a rod of this price would not be for everyone, but the market is there.

SC Bassin, I'm with you, as soon as I can pull the trigger I might have to try one.

Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Mike, what makes you think the market is there?  I don't question that it will be a very fine rod but I am having a bit of a problem thinking that market for a product like this is somewhat limited.  If limited market is the target then fine.  Then again, what exactly is a limited market and what kind of quantities does that expect.  Sure enough folks will buy them but how many folks and how many rods?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 11, 2018, 10:47:32 AM
Mike, what makes you think the market is there?  I don't question that it will be a very fine rod but I am having a bit of a problem thinking that market for a product like this is somewhat limited.  If limited market is the target then fine.  Then again, what exactly is a limited market and what kind of quantities does that expect.  Sure enough folks will buy them but how many folks and how many rods?

The market is there. Gary wouldn't have created these rods if that was case. Just because people don't post about their high end rods doesn't mean the market isn't there. There are plenty of bass fisherman with disposable income. We just don't hear from many of them.

loomisguy

There's a market. They wont sell like a Fury but how many Archangels does 13 sell ?. Or Shimano/Loomis the Conquest and NRX, And Phenix has the K2.
It calls attention to the rest of the line So I would guess it's good from a marketing standpoint and they will sell some.
As to the custom, always ask who's going to warranty it. MHX, Rainshadow ect. will cover the blank but will the builder cover the labor to wrap the new blank put on the grip ect.

Mike Cork

To say a full half would be too much, but I would say probably 40 percent of the anglers in the tournaments I fish wouldn't be caught dead without the best of the best in their boat.

No kidding, if you sit in the morning light just before launch at most of the events I fish, the horizon is lit up with electronics. Somewhere between a quarter and a third of the boats have two 12 to 16-inch graphs on the console and a third on the bow (these three graphs are about $12k). Those that don't have three will have two for sure. Not to mention the best of the best power poles and talons holding them in place while we wait for our number to be called.

Tournament anglers are always looking for an edge. If my rod only cost $200 it must not be as sensitive as your $500 rod and you're going to feel bites that I won't. So I have to get the $500 rod. OR if I can fish just one or two tournaments before everyone buys their own super sensitive and lightweight rods I might have the advantage and win.

It's just the way of the new anglers. Put this mentality together with the fact that they can charge it. Now they just got the brand new best of the best rod and it didn't cost them anything.

I used to be like this, but when I was in my late twenties and early thirties, chasing every tournament I could get into, high dollar rods were $150-$200. A $200 rod was insane but I wanted them and found ways to get them.

Now I'm like Gary, I fish a lot of Champions. The Extremes are awesome, but the Champions just fit better. I'm sure the Xtasy is truly amazing but I don't think I could own one. If I did, it wouldn't come out in the rain, I wouldn't lay it on the deck to get stepped on, and I wouldn't fish it around any above water structures that I could accidentally hit it with  :o

Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

I do not have unlimited funds but a rod like this makes more sense than a custom.
All the best components put on what Gary would consider the best blank for the job. All that and the best warranty you can get anywhere.
I consider it better than a custom because you also get Gary's expertise in knowing what a rod should be for the job. Which is better than my opinion. I bought a custom which I designed for a specific purpose only to find it is not exactly what I wanted. I still love it but use it for different aplications.
Every Dobyns I have bought is used for what it was intended.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

bobsquatch13

I have  Dobyn's Extreme's now and if this new higher end rod was made in a 7' 5" or 7" 6" five power or maybe even a four power I would jump all over it. I only have one rod under a four power and that one I use only for drop shot in Calif. Delta - it's an extreme DX743SF and I use it with a 2508 Daiwa Luvias reel with 12# FC Sniper line and it is very effective. Also works well the rare times I go to lakes even with the same line. I only have very limited number of rods I use, 4 spinning and 1 casting. 

Stren_g

These look awesome! If I wasn't so hard on gear...  ~b~ I'm not keen on dropping over $200 for a rod that I know will get banged around and beat up. As far as custom vs factory, I reckon it's all different strokes right? I like the idea of being able to buy a factory rod off the shelf/quick ship if I need a replacement in a pinch.