big g

Saturday 9/15/18
6:30-noon
Temp Super Hot & Humid
Partly sunny
W/T 86.5*
Current running east
Water clarity - heavy stain

Went this morning with Steve, we haven't fished together for some time.  We ran out west to the Indian Properties and fished back east.  We started on the south side and had a surface swing and miss on the frog.  Shortly after Hooked into a big mudfish that bent the hook with it's struggle.  Fishing was slow and once the sun started to get high, you had to cast into the shadows close to the cover.  After about two hours in the south canal I hooked a big girl that went airborne and did a big belly flip and spit the hook.  That's fishing for yah.  Ten minutes late a 2 lb beauty came out to play.  After another lull we moved up to the north side and had more of the same, tough! 

We got down by the weir and the action picked up.  Steve hooked into a nice one.  The big depth change and the increased current through the weir picked up the action.  The depth goes from 28 feet in the canal to 3 feet over the weir in a straight vertical drop-off.   From the weir east the action was on.  Down this stretch I hooked into the biggest of the day.  This fatty was close to four pounds.   We caught several more, but it was time for some AC.  Miserably hot day, but still better then sitting home. ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate the report George. Yes, the heat was brutal, but I it was good to read you guys came across a couple of big ones. WTG!!

Donald Garner

George, congrats on the catching and thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Lipripper

Thanks for the report George and glad you and Steve were able to endure the heat and humidity and catch some fish.  ~c~ ~c~ Sorry you lost some nice ones but like you said that's fishing.  ;D Them dang mud fish can tare up a bait bad.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 16, 2018, 01:13:05 PM
Appreciate the report George. Yes, the heat was brutal, but I it was good to read you guys came across a couple of big ones. WTG!!

Thanks guys, Rick is going to post some pics from yesterday's trip.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SFL BassHunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

You got yourselves some nice ones there George. It was a tough day but you found some quality fish.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

Thanks Rick for posting those, and the big one got away, but we both saw her do her thing.

basss

Now that's what I'm talking about ... stick and move, sick and move.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Lipripper

Them some nice looking Bass George.  ~c~ ~c~

LgMouthGambler

Yeah, Saturday was stupid hot. I figured this past weekend was rough on the fishing game. At least yall still managed some.  ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

big g

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 18, 2018, 09:13:57 AM
Yeah, Saturday was stupid hot. I figured this past weekend was rough on the fishing game. At least yall still managed some.  ~c~

Thanks guys, we managed some quality, not quantity.  We worked hard for those bites.  Most were real tight to cover, and back in those little pockets close to current.

Lipripper

George I was wondering that big mudfish that bent the hook was that on one of your frogs?

big g

Quote from: Lipripper on September 18, 2018, 10:29:16 AM
George I was wondering that big mudfish that bent the hook was that on one of your frogs?

No Lip, froggy is safe.  I threw it for twenty minutes very early, had a few swirls and misses, there was not much top water action.  I did switch to 65 pound Hi Vis. Power Pro.  It casts a mile and very smooth.  I'm very happy with that stuff.   ~c~

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on September 18, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
No Lip, froggy is safe.  I threw it for twenty minutes very early, had a few swirls and misses, there was not much top water action.  I did switch to 65 pound Hi Vis. Power Pro.  It casts a mile and very smooth.  I'm very happy with that stuff.   ~c~
I just bought some 50 LB  Hi Vis. Power Pro not to long ago but with all I have going on around here with my MIL I just never got around to putting it on my reels. Glad that froggy is safe  ~sweat them dang mudfish can destroy a bait real fast.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: big g on September 18, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
Happy to hear you took my suggestion with that yellow braid. It's very good when you can track your line, if you throw your frog in the pads, yellow is much easier to see.
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

I'm just happy it casts so nice being that strong.  The high vis help seeing, have you tried it with other top water lure like a devils horse or Zara spook?

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: big g on September 18, 2018, 01:36:29 PM
I'm just happy it casts so nice being that strong.  The high vis help seeing, have you tried it with other top water lure like a devils horse or Zara spook?
No, I am not a fan of throwing treble style topwaters on braid.
A few issues I have come across is bent hooks, and when walking a treble lure sometimes the front hooks grab hold of the braid.
The only topwaters I would throw on straight braid is them big heavy whopper ploppers. They come with extra stout hooks, and since you don't walk them the trebles don't get tangled with the line.

My topwater rod and reel is also my crank, spinnerbait, chatterbait, and jerkbait rod and reel. I have mono on that.
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

I'm going to try it today with my big zara spook & big Chug Bug.  They have heavy treble hooks. I'll see if it creates any problems.  I just love how smooth that braid is.  Let you know how it goes.

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on September 18, 2018, 02:30:24 PM
I'm going to try it today with my big zara spook & big Chug Bug.  They have heavy treble hooks. I'll see if it creates any problems.  I just love how smooth that braid is.  Let you know how it goes.
Well be looking for your report on how it works for you.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: big g on September 18, 2018, 02:30:24 PM
If you wanna use braid on treble baits, tie a leader with 15# mono. Use a snap clip so you can change baits without reties. All's you need is about a foot of leader.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 19, 2018, 04:28:41 AM
If you wanna use braid on treble baits, tie a leader with 15# mono. Use a snap clip so you can change baits without reties. All's you need is about a foot of leader.

<")))>{
Yeah just enough so the braid doesn't tangle up on the trebles.
I gree.   ~beer~
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

Went out last night with the 65 braid and the big spook.  Had no problem with the trebles and the line.  Casts a mile, no tangles or overruns and no bass either.  Like everywhere else the fishing is tough!  But the experiment worked better then expected.

Lipripper

Quote from: big g on September 19, 2018, 09:07:40 AM
Went out last night with the 65 braid and the big spook.  Had no problem with the trebles and the line.  Casts a mile, no tangles or overruns and no bass either.  Like everywhere else the fishing is tough!  But the experiment worked better then expected.
George glad the 65 lb braid worked and didn't give you any trouble with that big spook.  ~c~ ~c~ Sorry you didn't catch any fish but at least your experiment worked.  ;D Well as much as I hate to do it this must belong to you.  ;D

big g

Well thanks Lip, that's special!  You now put me in with some pretty unique company, this has apparently lowered my standards to deeper then whale shit.  Thanks again, I will cherish this for at least 10 minutes.  Lol!!!!! ~c~ ~c~ ~c~