Fishstranevgaza!

Started by basss, September 17, 2018, 09:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basss

A friend and I went on a fishing spree this weekend.  Three days of Space Coast fishin' started Friday and ended about 4 pm Sun.  We concentrated this trip in the Mosquito Lagoon.  The south lagoon Friday and Saturday and the North Indian River Sunday.  We caught a bit everything trout, reds, snook, sheepshead, Mangrove snapper, catfish, jack, and a few junk fish to boot.

I left work a bit early Friday. The truck was packed with rods, gear, and clothes for three days so no need to stop at home and we were on the water 1 1/2 hrs. after I left work .... not too shabby if you ask me.  We put in at Eddy creek and fished the area till the park closed at 8.  Due to the amount of time we had we mainly fished around Eddy Point, Hoeck Creek, and Pelican Island.  We saw quite a bit of activity but we didn't have much luck.  On the last cast, I got the skunk off the boat and landed a good sized trout ... aka dinner, pic below.

Saturday, we got started at 5:30 and headed to the Bio Lab ramp on the opposite side of the lagoon.  After launching, we headed across the lagoon and went straight to Galinipper Point.  We saw all kinds of action again but didn't get any to bites.

Looking around the lagoon we saw Pelicans dive bombing and area and headed towards them in the Middle Banks.  We got some bites on there but couldn't land anything.  Us not knowing the area, we headed back to what worked the day before, Pelican Island and Hoeck Creek.  It was there I broke the skunk yet again.  I caught a little red there, pic below.  We fished the area a bit more and got a couple more but nothing big and were off the water about 11.

On Sunday we got a similar start, we headed out at 6 and this time we went to the North Indian River; putting in at River Breeze and heading north to within about 1/2 mile short of Ponce Inlet.  We made several stops along the way fishing docks, pylons, and mangrove edges.  Again, yours truly got the skunk off the boat with a junk fish and we started putting them in the boat shortly there after.  Sunday was our most productive day.  My fishing buddy got two snook, one good sized one, and a Sheepshead (which we kept).  He also caught several smaller fish but none worth noting.  I got several cats, smaller mangrove snappers, a medium sized Jack, and a few junk fish.  We stopped to grab lunch at OutRiggers around noon and we saw a pod of Tarpon rolling around the docks.  We threw everything we had at them but they weren't interested.

On the trip we also saw some pretty cool nature activity too.  Manatees and dolphins galore.    Stingrays swimming around, redfish making wake corralling mullet, Bald eagles swooping down and grabbing fish feet from the boat, Dolphin chasing and catching mullet; also feet from the boat.

Can't wait to go back!
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

SFL BassHunter

Thanks for the report basss, I love me some sea trout.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Thanks ... the trout was yummy.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

LgMouthGambler

Wow. That sounds like it was just awesome to be out there and see all that activity! All them different fish makes for an exciting couple of days fishing the unknown. Good job to you guys.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Thank you for sharing the report Basss. Looks like it was a very fun trip.

basss

It was awesome.  I'm hooked!

Its the same amount of driving as it is getting to Lake Kissimmee.

Skipped school yesterday to go back. It was me and two other boats in all of the south lagoon.

Got a slot red ... but didn't know it till I got home and looked it up.  Doh!  Coulda had fresh caught dinner- again.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider