Issue with Lowrance Hook 5 TS

Started by BlackStrat, September 18, 2018, 07:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackStrat

Hello all, having some issues with my Lowrance Hook 5 TS and hoping someone may can help.....

Chart worked perfectly....Sonar, Down scan and side side scan wouldn't work at all.  Didn't get any readings whatsoever.  Worked perfectly in Demo mode.  I reset it back to the default and still no readings on Sonar, DS or SS.

Maybe a bad unit?....bad transducer?  I didn't think about getting any pictures.  Would it hurt if I removed the transducer and put it in a bucket of water?....so I can mess around with the settings more?

Has anyone every experienced this?  Did you find a cure?  What are some things I should check?

Insert witty comment here

<><

fishin couillon

Was this testing done on the water or on the trailer at your house???

Sonar will NOT work while sitting on your trailer at home.

IF on the water:  Dont have a Hook unit but the demo mode is nothing but a recording and does not use anything on the unit so to speak.  I'd check the connection of xdcr to unit, make sure its plugged in correctly and all the way. Also check the pins on the plug or unit to make sure none are missing, bent or broken. Unit should recognize transducer when plugged. Now it is also possible that the issue is the transducer but only way to know is if you had another one or a friend had on you can swap the head unit around with. Would it work in a bucket of water, likely but you still may not get a reading....i tried it with my Garmin unit recently and the signal would come and go, so i'd say not trust worthy. Best place would be on the lake where you have depth and can hang xdcr on side of boat or temporarily mount it and wiggle the wires and such to see if that could be the issue.

BlackStrat

Quote from: fishin couillon on September 18, 2018, 12:40:31 PM
Was this testing done on the water or on the trailer at your house???

Sonar will NOT work while sitting on your trailer at home.

IF on the water:  Dont have a Hook unit but the demo mode is nothing but a recording and does not use anything on the unit so to speak.  I'd check the connection of xdcr to unit, make sure its plugged in correctly and all the way. Also check the pins on the plug or unit to make sure none are missing, bent or broken. Unit should recognize transducer when plugged. Now it is also possible that the issue is the transducer but only way to know is if you had another one or a friend had on you can swap the head unit around with. Would it work in a bucket of water, likely but you still may not get a reading....i tried it with my Garmin unit recently and the signal would come and go, so i'd say not trust worthy. Best place would be on the lake where you have depth and can hang xdcr on side of boat or temporarily mount it and wiggle the wires and such to see if that could be the issue.

Yes sir, I was on the water.  Got no readings at all.  I emailed Lowrance and got this reply back :

You can put the transducer in a bucket and it won't hurt anything, but it would also not five accurate readings. The transducer has a tight connection and all 3 circles on it would need to be pushed in . If it is, then the problem is likely the transducer.

I replied stating that I'm not sure what or where the 3 circles he is referring to......and received this:

The 3 rings would be on the transducer connection near the plug that goes in the unit. This connection is also the part that can be tight, which makes some think it is fully pushed in but it isn't. Once you see all 3 circles be pushed in it would fully connected.

That reply really didn't help much...but I'll look for those 3 circles/rings when I get home.  Fingers crossed!!

<><

fishin couillon

Probably the 3 'circles' they are referring to is on end and they are there to keep the plug hole sealed and plug tight.....see pic below of what they talking about.....

BlackStrat

Quote from: fishin couillon on September 18, 2018, 09:06:27 PM
Probably the 3 'circles' they are referring to is on end and they are there to keep the plug hole sealed and plug tight.....see pic below of what they talking about.....

Ahh...now that makes sense!!

Thank you Fishin Couillon!!!!

<><