One reel ratio to own

Started by Bankbeater56, September 24, 2018, 04:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

If you could only use 1 Baitcaster what gear ratio would you use and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

The one with the most line pick up per handle turn.

You can always slow down with a fast reel but you can't make a slow reel go any faster.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bud Kennedy

If it was me and could only have one the speed would 8:1

WTodd

I get your point Smallie but it's easier for me to speed up than slow down but I'd go with a 7:3:1

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: WTodd on September 24, 2018, 04:10:39 PM
I get your point Smallie but it's easier for me to speed up than slow down but I'd go with a 7:3:1

I apologize. I have a bad habit of what I'm trying to say not coming out right. Let's see if I can get it this time.

What I'm referring to is a matter of the mechanics of the reel and not an angler's ability to speed up or slow down.

I believe line pick-up per turn of the handle is more important than gear ratio. IMO you always want to have the option of picking up as much line as possible on each cast because if, say, a fish hits a spinnerbait and runs straight at you, you need to be able do catch up with that fish by taking up as much line as possible.  If your reel takes up 35 in. of line per turn your going to have a better chance of catching up with him than if your reel only takes up 24 in of line no matter how fast you turn the handle.

I hope that explains it better and again I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

WTodd

You didn't have to elaborate; I was pretty sure what you meant and like I said I get your point. The one thing I've learned in bass fishing is the bass can always outrun whatever either me or the reel is doing   but you are correct in that sometimes more speed doesn't suck

Pacific NW Ron

For the way I fish most I'd go with the 6.3 +/- ratio. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Capt. BassinLou

My pick is a 7 speed, it's very versatile ratio.

cport

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

You mean reels come in speeds  ~shade  lo lo I never looked at mine but I think it would be a 7 also.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

Fast, you can always slow down by manual manipulation. :-*
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

SteelHorseCowboy

For bass fishing with many baits I use, I like low to mid speeds, 26-30 IPT.
Reason why is because it's not easy for me to slow down my retrieve, I'm too impatient.
But some lures just need more speed!
I'm very happy with my Curado XG, 8.1:1 and 36 IPT, but I just go too fast with it for certain applications and can't help it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

A good 26 to 30 IPT is a good "all around" speed. Will put you into the mid 6 to low 7 gear ratio in just about any reel.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

A 7.
This way you are in the middle. You can slow down or speed up.
A 7 is plenty fast for most applications and can be slowed down enough for slower applications.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 25, 2018, 12:02:01 AM
A good 26 to 30 IPT is a good "all around" speed. Will put you into the mid 6 to low 7 gear ratio in just about any reel.

<")))>{

I agree with LMG, if you need to work a bait at a slower speed then it's easier to do than with a high speed reel but if needed you can turn the handle faster.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Pro Reel

Medium. 6.3 up to 7.0,  because fast ratios use very small pinion gears and don't have much torque. When the pinion gear has to turn 8 times for every one turn of the drive gear they get 8 times the stress and wear put on them, but then once they develop that wear they transfer it to the drive gear. I replace a lot more gear sets on higher ratio reels. One of the reasons the old greeny curados were so popular and so durable was the slower , stronger gear ratio.
Yes, I probably have lost a fish or two that swam straight at me, but I'm also pretty quick about pulling the rod up and sweeping it to keep the line tight, and, no mater what the ratio or line pick up per turn is, the faster you turn the handle, the faster you pull in line.

Dink Dawg

I'm with a 7.something to 1.  I actually don't own an 8 to 1 ratio but have several 7.3 to 1, a good selection of 6.4 to 1 and two 5.4 to 1 for deep cranking.  Don't forget to consider handle length.