Fall feeding frenzy on the way down South!

Started by Lee Smith, September 25, 2018, 01:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Smith

No, not yet,it's freaking HOT, but it's gonna so us old ones better start getting ready! 

I have three very strong patterns for fall fishing, they are different than most, but have worked well for me over the years, here's mine, what do you guys and gals do?

1. Frogs-Until the water temps get too cold and the bass are chasing a white bottomed popping frog is awesome, but don't pop it, make it spit, go fast, don't stop, no matter what, keep it spitting.  They will tear that thing apart trying to get it.  One thing is also with the frog, the big girl at the bottom of the pile will blast through and grab it first.  My only thinking on this is, the size and commotion of the frog says too her pea brain that it is worth the effort and energy expended?

2. Bo's NuTech Crazy Blitz, yes I use these all the time, preach about how good they are but in the fall is when the White/Chartreuse really shines.  The tick tick tick as the blade hits the head and the flash you get from that thing are awesome!  I add a small white swim bait to it and trim the skirt back to the hook bend.  This lure works well with a yoyo pattern through schoolers also.

3. Rattle trap in the grass-if you can find a 'cut' in the grass where a creek comes out, or it has a sandy bottom in an area and the grass grows around it, put the poles or anchor down and start chunking to it over and over, ripping it, splashing it, just keep at it for a minimum of 20 cast in the one area, they will come out from the grass to see what the commotion is and they will attach when they see the trap.  My 2nd personal best was caught with this technique, along with a 1st place check it was one heck of an hour for me.  I culled out over 10 times in that hole! BTW, the big fish came out in the middle of all the cast!

So what do yall have that is different and works for the fall feed?  I'm all ears and eyes!!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

cport

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 25, 2018, 01:16:58 PM
No, not yet,it's freaking HOT, but it's gonna so us old ones better start getting ready! 

I have three very strong patterns for fall fishing, they are different than most, but have worked well for me over the years, here's mine, what do you guys and gals do?

1. Frogs-Until the water temps get too cold and the bass are chasing a white bottomed popping frog is awesome, but don't pop it, make it spit, go fast, don't stop, no matter what, keep it spitting.  They will tear that thing apart trying to get it.  One thing is also with the frog, the big girl at the bottom of the pile will blast through and grab it first.  My only thinking on this is, the size and commotion of the frog says too her pea brain that it is worth the effort and energy expended?

2. Bo's NuTech Crazy Blitz, yes I use these all the time, preach about how good they are but in the fall is when the White/Chartreuse really shines.  The tick tick tick as the blade hits the head and the flash you get from that thing are awesome!  I add a small white swim bait to it and trim the skirt back to the hook bend.  This lure works well with a yoyo pattern through schoolers also.

3. Rattle trap in the grass-if you can find a 'cut' in the grass where a creek comes out, or it has a sandy bottom in an area and the grass grows around it, put the poles or anchor down and start chunking to it over and over, ripping it, splashing it, just keep at it for a minimum of 20 cast in the one area, they will come out from the grass to see what the commotion is and they will attach when they see the trap.  My 2nd personal best was caught with this technique, along with a 1st place check it was one heck of an hour for me.  I culled out over 10 times in that hole! BTW, the big fish came out in the middle of all the cast!

So what do yall have that is different and works for the fall feed?  I'm all ears and eyes!!
Thanks wiz, that is great info. We are blessed to have you as an UB member.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Lipripper

Them some good tips Mr Lee and hope your going to be well enough soon to put them to use. I might have to try them up in Michigan this weekend.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: cport on September 25, 2018, 01:20:35 PM
Thanks wiz, that is great info. We are blessed to have you as an UB member.

~roflmao Wiz? Chris check who the OP was again.  ~roflmao

@ Lee.... great seeing you post fishing info again. About dang time!  ~beer~

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 25, 2018, 01:27:01 PM
~roflmao Wiz? Chris check who the OP was again.  ~roflmao

@ Lee.... great seeing you pot fishing stuff again. About dang time!  ~beer~

C hris you need to check your glasses.  ~beer~ I tis nice seeing Mr Lee post again and will be even better when we can see him back out fishing again.  ~c~ ~c~

cport

DOH! Sorry Lee, easy to confuse two great contributors.

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: cport on September 25, 2018, 01:30:24 PM

DOH! Sorry Lee, easy to confuse two great contributors.

~c~ ~c~  lo .... great save.

Lee Smith

We're both OLD Wore the Hell out grump Patriots!  It's an honor to be called Wiz brother!!  An honor!

Even if he is more grumpy than me  ;)  ~roflmao  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Lipripper

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 25, 2018, 01:36:09 PM
We're both OLD Wore the Hell out grump Patriots!  It's an honor to be called Wiz brother!!  An honor!

Even if he is more grumpy than me  ;)  ~roflmao  ~roflmao
~roflmao ~roflmao I'll drink to that.  ~beer~

Mike Cork

Well, those three techniques are money over here too, just one state over.

The only thing I'd add or change would be the trap. As well as it works and as big as the fish get that chase it, I HATE trap fishing... But I do it because it works. If the grass is topped out and the mats are big enough I'll put the trap away and go dive bombing with a punch rig and catch my big girl that way.

Great info Lee. I don't think many can understand it but the frog gig is no joke, the faster you can work it the better. One might argue why not just use a buzzbait. The profile is all I can answer back with. A buzzbait will work sometimes but that pop'n frog will work every time.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 25, 2018, 02:00:23 PM

Great info Lee. I don't think many can understand it but the frog gig is no joke, the faster you can work it the better.

Good stuff!! And those blow ups are what I call "kill blow ups." Meaning... that bass blew up on that frog to literally kill it!!  :)

Lipripper

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 25, 2018, 02:29:18 PM
Good stuff!! And those blow ups are what I call "kill blow ups." Meaning... that bass blew up on that frog to literally kill it!!  :)
I'm going to have to try that this weekend up in Michigan.  :-*

Smallie_Stalker

Great info Lee. ~c~

The way you describe fishing the popping frog is the way I fish regular poppers a lot of the time but I never thought about doing it with a popping frog.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Wizard

Good info, brother. Let's add some southern knowledge along it's northern boundary. The fall frenzy is different because we don't have your extensive vegetation. Frogs work. Just not as well as further south.
1) Top water: any shad imitating top water will work. I use a Spook, Chug Bug and Crazy Crawler. In calm water, the Crazy Crawler often works the best especially if it is Musky sized.
2) Square Bill: a shallow wonder fished over 2-10 FOW. Also a great lure around docks.
3) Swim Jig: around any cover, docks or even open water.
4) Tube: because it works anywhere, anytime.
5) Lipless Crank: because they cast a mile and flat out catch bass. My favorite is a 1.25  oz trap made for Musky.

Wizard

Lipripper

When I go to Michigan this weekend I'm going to load all my Bass lures in the van and try everything I have to try and get this skunk off my back.  ~bb I'm going to try popping frogs...non popping frogs...NuTech jigs and CrazyBlitz baits and Dales spinner Baits ...my GY Senkos .. some Doc Irv's baits some crank baits you name it I will throw everything I got at them  ~bb

Wizard

Those bass won't know what hit them, Lip. Think about a wire leader in case some toothy fish wants to play.

Wizard

Lipripper

Quote from: Wizard on September 26, 2018, 07:13:14 PM
Those bass won't know what hit them, Lip. Think about a wire leader in case some toothy fish wants to play.

Wizard
I don't have any wire leader and there are some big toothy critters in the big lake but the two smaller ponds just trout and catfish and maybe some Bass. But the big lake has lots of Bass and big toothy critters. If I loos some I will just have to lose them heck after all I can't catch any BASS with them anyway.  lo lo 

D.W. Verts

The only thing I would add to Wizard's post is the spinnerbait. I match the shad size, so I may be throwing a 1/4 oz. bait with a #2 Colorado and a #4 Willow Leaf, or a 3/4 oz. with a big blade up front, and a #7 or #8 Willow on the back, or maybe a pair of big Indianas or Colorados. BIG 'uns.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

merc1997

Quote from: Wizard on September 25, 2018, 09:45:01 PM
Good info, brother. Let's add some southern knowledge along it's northern boundary. The fall frenzy is different because we don't have your extensive vegetation. Frogs work. Just not as well as further south.
1) Top water: any shad imitating top water will work. I use a Spook, Chug Bug and Crazy Crawler. In calm water, the Crazy Crawler often works the best especially if it is Musky sized.
2) Square Bill: a shallow wonder fished over 2-10 FOW. Also a great lure around docks.
3) Swim Jig: around any cover, docks or even open water.
4) Tube: because it works anywhere, anytime.
5) Lipless Crank: because they cast a mile and flat out catch bass. My favorite is a 1.25  oz trap made for Musky.

Wizard
i am going to add to your list wizard.  fall bass often are up a bit more shallow on loz, but on table rock, very often, there are more bass that stay deep, especially after mid-morning.  therefore, i am going to add spoons, heavy jigs, heavy spinner baits, vibrating jigs, and heavy swim baits in the mix for this area.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Oldfart9999

Spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and medium diving cranks at least for a while before it's small tubes, dropshot, and ned rigs, spoons a bit later and deeper.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

Quote from: Wizard on September 25, 2018, 09:45:01 PM
In calm water, the Crazy Crawler often works the best especially if it is Musky sized.

quick question, Wizard.  how different do you see the crazy crawler and the musky sized jitterbug?  know thy're different, but does this suggest you've looked at the 'bug and moved on to the crawler?

and second question:  you know the guy who ran the all black (black on black) Ranger (think it was a 1990 model with a Merc 150 on the back?  the boys over at Ozawkie had put some time in on that one and he could flat out MOVE.  met him back at a Ranger owners txt back in mid-90's.  this was spring and he was using a crazy crawler around docks in the hurrican bend area.

zippyduck

Dang! I read every post and my tackle box is still as heavy as when I started.
Ok so I removed big worms.
But no one mentioned flukes, jerkbaits, and squarebills. And like mentioned before, get them moving and don't stop.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Lipripper

Quote from: zippyduck on September 27, 2018, 05:56:33 PM
Dang! I read every post and my tackle box is still as heavy as when I started.
Ok so I removed big worms.
But no one mentioned flukes, jerkbaits, and squarebills. And like mentioned before, get them moving and don't stop.
Funny you should mention that I just got through getting my gear ready for my trip to Michigan tomorrow and put some flukes in there. I even put some 6" bubble gum flukes in there also  ~shhh  lo lo Heck I'm going to try everything I can to get that skunk off my back.  ;D

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Lipripper on September 27, 2018, 06:54:52 PM
Funny you should mention that I just got through getting my gear ready for my trip to Michigan tomorrow and put some flukes in there. I even put some 6" bubble gum flukes in there also  ~shhh  lo lo Heck I'm going to try everything I can to get that skunk off my back.  ;D
That's what I caught my last fish on, trailing an Elite Blade. That pair makes a wiggling, jerking combo. I'd swim it to the surface then let it drop to the bottom.
I've no idea what that would imitate to a bass, but it worked.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on September 28, 2018, 06:21:11 AM
That's what I caught my last fish on, trailing an Elite Blade. That pair makes a wiggling, jerking combo. I'd swim it to the surface then let it drop to the bottom.
I've no idea what that would imitate to a bass, but it worked.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
You caught one on a  6" bubble gum flukes  ~c~