Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bearings  (Read 253 times)

Bankbeater56

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Bearings
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »

Might be a dumb question to some of you seasoned Baitcasting anglers here but not for me. As a novice who is still working on controlling backlash,would more high performance bearings make matters worse for me? What I mean is, I've been reading the threads on Fuego vs Tatula and it was mentioned that if you upgrade from the stock bearings on the Fuego it will perform like a much more expensive reel. I'm guessing that's because the bearings would spin "freer" in essence faster and longer. Could that relate to me having more backlash issues until I get my thumb braking under control?
I could see where the upgraded bearings would help a bank bound angler such as my self reach otherwise out of reach spots due to increase in casting distance but would, is, the trade off worth it?
Or am I looking at this all wrong?
By the way, I did go ahead and order a Tatula CT Type R. Could not pass up the deal, payed less than 90.00.........BAIT MONKEY STRIKES AGAIN!!

As always,I appreciate all that you guys are teaching me, all I ask is that you please be patient with me.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
Re: Bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »

Imho, the stock bearings in the reels you mentioned are more than fine for you. You need to build your water time with your b/c's and train your thumb in feathering that spool.  Bearings will be a cool a upgrade once you become proficient in using your b/c's (bait casting reel). Just my .02
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

Bankbeater56

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »

Imho, the stock bearings in the reels you mentioned are more than fine for you. You need to build your water time with your b/c's and train your thumb in feathering that spool.  Bearings will be a cool a upgrade once you become proficient in using your b/c's (bait casting reel). Just my .02
I tend to agree. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »

I upgraded some reels I have one time. I was looking at going with Abec 7 ceramic bearings and some other parts upgrades. I asked some questions on another forum ( many years ago, before I joined UB) and  a British fellow, who was a well known distance tournament caster, told me that for fishing, I was wasting my money, as I wouldn't see any real improvement over the factory bearings.

He also said a good cleaning & proper lube could do wonders for a reel that's not worn out, as many times reels have too much oil & grease in them from the factory and that can slow down the bearings. I ended up replacing some bearings on an older reel that needed it, and went with Abec 5 stainless bearings, and a proper lube. That reel casts great! Also just cleaned & re-lubed other, newer reels and they cast much better than they did before the cleaning.

I agree very much with Lou! Learn how to cast the reel, practice as much as you can, and unless the parts are worn out, you don't need to be replacing them.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »

Great advice here. IMO upgrading bearings versus proper lubrication equals just a couple of feet if any in distance. I can equal a smoother feel and reduced or increased noise depending on your upgrade. Stock bearings generally are just fine, it's the cleaning and lube that needs to be addressed.

So, get your thumb working like you want and then we'll teach you how to fix those stock bearings up. If after that you still want to turbo cast there are some bearings out there that can help.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 25 queries.