Multiple Baitcasters

Started by Bankbeater56, October 02, 2018, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

For you guys with multiple Baitcasters, what do you spoil them with, do you stick with one type of line with different lb test or do you spool with different line all together? I've got 3 and trying to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

For the most part, I use Power Pro 30#.  I do have one spooled with Sufix Siege mono that I like to use for crank baits and spinner baits.  Everything else is braid.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 02, 2018, 09:53:46 AM
For the most part, I use Power Pro 30#.  I do have one spooled with Sufix Siege mono that I like to use for crank baits and spinner baits.  Everything else is braid.
Does Gear Ratio play into your decision making process, is your reel spooled with mono a lower ratio?

LgMouthGambler

It all depends on what you are planning to use as bait. Line/rod/reel/IPT all become a factor to determine the best combination.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 02, 2018, 10:09:05 AM
It all depends on what you are planning to use as bait. Line/rod/reel/IPT all become a factor to determine the best combination.
Soft plastics, some squarebills, chatterbait, every now and again frogs.

LgMouthGambler

You can technically use braid for all that, but I would use a good mono for the treble baits.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

As has been said it's depends on what you are doing. If you plan to use a rod for frogs and possibly pitching I'd do 50lb or 65lb braid on it the others 30 or 40lb braid. Either of those other two can have a mono leader added to work treble baits.

I would advise checking the recommendations on the rods for some guidance on what direction to start setting them up.  Pay attention to line diameter for better results.

Stren_g

I'm moving to braid on all of my reels. 65lb for froggin, 30lb for everything else. I've gotten pretty good at tying the fg knot for a flour to braid leader if I see fit to use one.

SteelHorseCowboy

I'll add to what Steve mentioned, line diameter recommendations for reels are listed on the reel, box, or online. The info is fairly easily obtained.
Most braided line will tell it's diameter on the label, and many list the mono equivalent, like this:

See where it says "12 EQ. DIA." right below the word "TEST"? That means 12# mono equivalent diameter.
Many labels are a bit more straightforward, some lines don't list the mono equivalent at all and you'll have to compare the actual diameters...

After a lot of time wasted picking out backlashes, I'd recommend NOT going with a smaller diameter than what the reel manufacturer recommends. Some reels and anglers can handle it better than others, but I get too many backlashes when my line's too light.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Pferox

I dunno, if I had three reels, I would set them up differently on different rods.

One would be a frog rig, of course.

The other a MH with mono, lb test depends on where you are fishin at.

The third would be a medium with braid.

I'm pretty sure that will cover a whole lot of presentations there.

Especially when you started playing the leader game.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

njpaulc

I have more reels that rods.  I spool my reels depending on how I'm going to be using them.   Heavy braid for frogging, lighter braid for fishing weeds,  Heavy fluro for docks, wood and rocks, mono for topwaters, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits.  I'll switch reels to match line to techniques.  For example, I might use heavy braid for frogging, later in the day change to a reel with lighter braid and use the rod for punching grass, and later change to a reel with fluro to pitch docks.

Pferox

Quote from: njpaulc on October 03, 2018, 08:41:50 AM
I have more reels that rods.  I spool my reels depending on how I'm going to be using them.   Heavy braid for frogging, lighter braid for fishing weeds,  Heavy fluro for docks, wood and rocks, mono for topwaters, crankbaits, and spinnerbaits.  I'll switch reels to match line to techniques.  For example, I might use heavy braid for frogging, later in the day change to a reel with lighter braid and use the rod for punching grass, and later change to a reel with fluro to pitch docks.

That works. Although I would add a few rods now so you don't have to do a lot of switching around all the time.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lee Smith

Ok, so I feel bad reading this thread, , , ,

1 7'6" XH 65# braid
1 7'3" XH 65# braid
1 7'3"  H  65# braid
1 7'3" MH 50# braid
1 7'3" MH mono  (I'll chunk a trap every now and then)

All these baitcasters, fire breathing speed freak reels! And my work horses are LMG certified!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Pacific NW Ron

I generally take three baitcasters with me.  Two have braid, one has fluoro.  It depends on what I'm using it for and some of it comes down to your personal preference. 
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 02, 2018, 10:09:05 AM

What he said.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

Quote from: Pferox on October 03, 2018, 09:38:05 AM
That works. Although I would add a few rods now so you don't have to do a lot of switching around all the time.

Find it hard to take more than 15 rods with me.  I like to have multiple setups for the same application, like a left handed and right handed punching set up, or pitching docks with a rod rigged with a jig and one rigged with a worm, or a different color or weight.  I really try to make things as complicated as possible ~roflmao

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: njpaulc on October 04, 2018, 10:26:54 AM
Find it hard to take more than 15 rods with me.  I like to have multiple setups for the same application, like a left handed and right handed punching set up, or pitching docks with a rod rigged with a jig and one rigged with a worm, or a different color or weight.  I really try to make things as complicated as possible ~roflmao

I have a similar attitude....except about 10 is all I feel like I can carry in my car.  Need a bigger vehicle!   lo

OP:  I prefer a mono/co-polymer.  Generally speaking I have settled on 17# on Heavy rods, 12# on MH rods, 8# on Medium rods and either 8# or 6# on ML rods.  Obviously there are exceptions.  Braid is the way to go on your frog rod.  I bought a new-2-me braid in 45# that I plan on using on a bottom contact rod.  Not much of a fan of fluorocarbon lines.