Is the TWing a gimmick?

Started by Bankbeater56, September 22, 2018, 01:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

I have the Fuego CT and love them and never gave it a thought about spending more for the Tatula with TWing. I recently saw the Tat type R at a decent price but was wondering, is the TWing worth it or a gimmick?
Gregg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

I have 5 of them and all I know is they work well.  Not sure the T Wing makes that much of a difference but for sure the SV spool is a must have for me.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 22, 2018, 01:33:33 PM
I have 5 of them and all I know is they work well.  Not sure the T Wing makes that much of a difference but for sure the SV spool is a must have for me.

Why is that May I ask? Fairly new to Baitcasters and trying to learn as much as I can.

Bud Kennedy

I guess the first thing is the Daiwa Tat is such a fine casting reel that the T wing becomes un noticed.  I guess the physics of the t wing does provide for better line distribution on the cast.  I do know that on the re wind it does a wonderful job at putting the line back on the spool so I guess that could be credited to the T Wing.  If you decide to purchase a TW SV product you can say goodby to backlashes.  I have not had one in two years and I used to be the backlash king with my other reels.  I not sure you can really isolate just one feature for this product.  The combination of everything just works for me.  I have absolutely no complaints on my 5,

PSUangler

Like Bud, I can't really comment on the T wing thing.  I have 2 Tat TW SV reels and a few Lews.  Those Tat SV reels are always the first thing I reach for.  Just a pleasure to fish.  As far as backlashes go, the SV is pretty damn good at preventing them.  Two days ago I got distracted when I was about to make a longer cast and smacked the lure on the water directly in front of me.  If it had been a different reel,  I would have been getting the knife or scissors out.  I love that reel!

LgMouthGambler

To me, the TWS system isn't something to write home about. But that SV spool technology....well....that's something no other reel company can mimic.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

I think it is a gimmick. Other reels cast just as well from my experience some better. I believe If there was any measurable gains someone would have already come out with a different version to accomplish the same thing. After years not one other company has, that I am aware of. And we all know in the fishing industry copying others ideas seems to be the norm.
To me it's annoying the very audible clunk it makes when engaging the reel on the one I have. It's much more pronounced than the non twing reels I have.  It's also annoying when you like to hold the reel with the line over your finger. It sometimes pushes the line up out of the slot.
This is just my take there are many here like Bud who love them. Reels are kind a like car makers people have their likes and dislikes for all sorts or reasons.

Pacific NW Ron

Quote from: SteveTX on September 23, 2018, 08:31:29 AM
I think it is a gimmick. Other reels cast just as well from my experience some better. I believe If there was any measurable gains someone would have already come out with a different version to accomplish the same thing. After years not one other company has, that I am aware of. And we all know in the fishing industry copying others ideas seems to be the norm.
To me it's annoying the very audible clunk it makes when engaging the reel on the one I have. It's much more pronounced than the non twing reels I have.  It's also annoying when you like to hold the reel with the line over your finger. It sometimes pushes the line up out of the slot.
This is just my take there are many here like Bud who love them. Reels are kind a like car makers people have their likes and dislikes for all sorts or reasons.
I've only got one of these and I don't have it on a rod now.  I have it in a box on the shelf.  To me it feels heavy and doesn't feel as good in my hands.  The way I hold my reels on retrieve it almost feels like an old round reel.
Personally I don't think the twing makes any difference in cast distance.  On average my other reels cast just as far.
I agree with Steve about the louder click on engaging the reel.  The other thing with me is with my arthritic hands it feels like it takes more pressure to release the spool to cast. 
Of course this is my personal opinion.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SFL BassHunter

The only time I have run into an issue with the TWing is with a long enough leader the leader knot doesn't go through it well depending on line diameters.
This was a one time occurrence for me, since I never use leaders anyways. You can always make sure your leader is shorter so it doesn't affect you.
Oh just remembered one other thing they do not recommend you put your finger under the line it pushes it up out of the groove where the line is supposed to sit. I have adjusted the way I hold my reel and now I put my thumb inside the spool to feel the line that is running out.

Other than that I have not had an issue with TWing. Comparing the Fuego CT with the Tat CT for me is a no go because I have upgraded bearings on the Tat CT. So it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
I couldn't tell you if the Twing makes a difference in casting or not.

One thing I will mention to you is that the reels that say CT on them are smaller form factors than the ones that don't.
A Tatula Type R and a Tatula CT Type R have 2 differences. The color scheme and the size. The regular type r is a bigger bulkier reel.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Dink Dawg

It is not a gimmick, just as the Magforce system is not a gimmick.  The T wing is a design concept to reduce line friction from the spool.  Does it reduce friction to separate itself from a standard line guide aperture?  Not really but it certainly doesn't hurt. It's different but not a detriment. I also agree with the comments about SV spool.  That design improves cast control. All my Diawas perform exceptionally well,                     T wing or not.

SteelHorseCowboy

I've never used one, but the concept isn't new. Abu Garcia had an earlier design that features a line guide that is disengaged and becomes free floating during casting. It allows the guide to follow the line rather than vice versa. It was on the old Ultra Mag XL Plus.
Maybe the same thing you're talking about DD?
Like everyone else, I'd ask "Does it really work as advertised?"
Well, this particular design won several distance casting competitions in the past, so I'd say, "Likely."

What I think would be a very cool idea comes to me when I think of medieval arrow slits. These were windows in the walls of fortresses and castles back in that era. From the outside, these windows were tall and narrow, sometimes less than 6" wide, and usually reached from about knee high to head high.
But INSIDE the window, it was funnel shaped along it's full height. This would allow archers to move side to side, aiming at somewhat extreme angles to hit enemy ground troops while presenting a very small target to enemy archers.
I think a level wind guide that completely disengages during the cast, but is ALSO funnel shaped may be an even better design than a relatively complicated system wherein most of the line guide basically drops away.
The funnel shape would allow the line to come off the spool at it's harsher angles possibly with less resistance, and free floating would reduce friction even more.
Maybe I should patent this idea?
Right now my furthest casting reel is my pawn shop Caenan. I may pull that levelwind and see if there's enough metal in it to chamfer it. Or it could be all plastic, I'm not sure, but that'd make the project easier.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Bankbeater56

Thanks for all the replies. So here is my last question. I have a couple of Fuego CT's and was wondering if there is a significant upgrade if I were to go to a Tatula CT type R? Bait monkey is really biting me hard to buy one. I really like the looks of the Type R but don't want to spend money foolishly.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on September 24, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. So here is my last question. I have a couple of Fuego CT's and was wondering if there is a significant upgrade if I were to go to a Tatula CT type R? Bait monkey is really biting me hard to buy one. I really like the looks of the Type R but don't want to spend money foolishly.

I have a Tat Type R, not the CT Type R but they are the same reel.
I'll tell you the cheapest upgrade you can make, is upgrade the bearings on your Fuego CT. Get yourself some ZPI bearings and replace the ones inside the CT. The cost of a CT Type R is not worth it in my opinion.
The Fuego CT with ZPI bearings will be phenomenal. I have the Tatula CT with the ZPI Bearings and it's a beast!

You could upgrade your 2 Fuego CT's for less than it would cost you to get a Type R and still have money left over.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on September 24, 2018, 03:45:56 PM
I have a Tat Type R, not the CT Type R but they are the same reel.
I'll tell you the cheapest upgrade you can make, is upgrade the bearings on your Fuego CT. Get yourself some ZPI bearings and replace the ones inside the CT. The cost of a CT Type R is not worth it in my opinion.
The Fuego CT with ZPI bearings will be phenomenal. I have the Tatula CT with the ZPI Bearings and it's a beast!

You could upgrade your 2 Fuego CT's for less than it would cost you to get a Type R and still have money left over.

I have to agree 100%. Get the upgraded bearings and you have a reel that will perform like a $200 reel.
Actually it will out perform the CT Type-R. IMO and I have a CT Type-R.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bankbeater56

Went ahead and ordered a Tatula CT Typr R which came in yesterday. Man is that thing sweet! Smooth as silk and great looking. Now I need to figure out what line to put on it.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on October 02, 2018, 09:44:23 AM
Went ahead and ordered a Tatula CT Typr R which came in yesterday. Man is that thing sweet! Smooth as silk and great looking. Now I need to figure out what line to put on it.

Braid, and give it hell.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.