Help me frogger

Started by the_huber_show, October 18, 2018, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_huber_show

I have watched video on top of video and frogging still isn't clicking.

I have attached two videos of last night using a spro 55 (I believe....I know forsure it's a Spro)

I appreciate any advice of what I am doing wrong or right  lo

I just wanna play frogger like the rest of you  :st:)

https://youtu.be/4ozimgbQwk4

https://youtu.be/FHG0qC0ZfJQ

Sorry youtube was the only thing I could find to host the videos
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 18, 2018, 02:50:38 PM
I have watched video on top of video and frogging still isn't clicking.

I have attached two videos of last night using a spro 55 (I believe....I know forsure it's a Spro)

I appreciate any advice of what I am doing wrong or right  lo

I just wanna play frogger like the rest of you  :st:)

https://youtu.be/4ozimgbQwk4

https://youtu.be/FHG0qC0ZfJQ

Sorry youtube was the only thing I could find to host the videos

From what I could see, your rod is going away from the frog. If you are trying to walk the frog, switch your rod direction, keep the rod low, and slightly point your rod at the frog. Give yourself a hair more slack and use a light tapping cadence vs jerking. The light tapping cadence will cause the frog to slightly dart the side. The next light tap should cause the frog to dart back to the opposite side. Continue that cadence and you will be "walking the frog"  Lastly, give yourself more distance to work with to practice. Start with a long cast and work on your cadence that way. Good luck!! Keep practicing!!

the_huber_show

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 18, 2018, 03:08:57 PM
From what I could see, your rod is going away from the frog. If you are trying to walk the frog, switch your rod direction, keep the rod low, and slightly point your rod at the frog. Give yourself a hair more slack and use a light tapping cadence vs jerking. The light tapping cadence will cause the frog to slightly dart the side. The next light tap should cause the frog to dart back to the opposite side. Continue that cadence and you will be "walking the frog"  Lastly, give yourself more distance to work with to practice. Start with a long cast and work on your cadence that way. Good luck!! Keep practicing!!

:-* thank you for the tip Lou!  I will give those a shot this weekend

Capt. BassinLou

A good sign that your keeping your rod low enough is if the tip of your rod is taps the water from to time. Careful to make sure you don't tap the bank, dock, or boat by accident because you can have a broken tip on your hands.  :surrender: :surrender:

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 18, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
:-* thank you for the tip Lou!  I will give those a shot this weekend

Best of luck to you. Wish I could just show you versus typing and trying to explain myself correctly. The good news is, there isn't a shortage of videos of anglers showing how to walk a frog.

the_huber_show

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 18, 2018, 03:18:42 PM
A good sign that your keeping your rod low enough is if the tip of your rod is taps the water from to time. Careful to make sure you don't tap the bank, dock, or boat by accident because you can have a broken tip on your hands.  :surrender: :surrender:

Noted!  Def don't need that lol

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 18, 2018, 03:21:29 PM
Best of luck to you. Wish I could just show you versus typing and trying to explain myself correctly. The good news is, there isn't a shortage of videos of anglers showing how to walk a frog.

Trust me I wish that too!  I wish I had a frogging buddy lol

I def learn better in person then watch.  What happens is I watch all these videos and then overload myself for the next time I get to fish

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 18, 2018, 03:25:16 PM

What happens is I watch all these videos and then overload myself for the next time I get to fish

Next video you watch, pay careful attention to the anglers rod position, slack on line, and how light their tap's are. Their cadence may be very fast or slow, depending on the bite.

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 18, 2018, 03:08:57 PM

one other piece:  to get anything to walk, there has to be slack in the line to let the bait move to the side.  the 'jerk/tap' process is not just down, it has to be 'down/back' with as much attention paid to the back part as the down part. 

that's where you put the slack back in the line so the bait can sashay to the side.

once you get that down, you can then start playing with one down/back being 'light' and the other 'hard'.  this is how you get it to walk one side or the other.  or around a tree.

cport

Quote from: coldfront on October 18, 2018, 03:29:58 PM
one other piece:  to get anything to walk, there has to be slack in the line to let the bait move to the side.  the 'jerk/tap' process is not just down, it has to be 'down/back' with as much attention paid to the back part as the down part. 

that's where you put the slack back in the line so the bait can sashay to the side.

once you get that down, you can then start playing with one down/back being 'light' and the other 'hard'.  this is how you get it to walk one side or the other.  or around a tree.
LOL you said sashay

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteelHorseCowboy

Kinda like walking a spook?
I've only had a handful of frog bites and it was last year. I've been working it almost like a popper, but faster and in pads and vegetation.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

coldfront

Quote from: cport on October 18, 2018, 03:34:35 PM
LOL you said sashay

well, you are aware of how the zara spook got it's name?

and down south I think it's PRO-nounced SA-SHAY!

~roflmao

That minnow, it do the hoochie coochie, just like the girls on Zaragosa Street   

or:  wish I had a swing like that on my back porch!

Stren_g

Great tips so far, one thing I can add is to "play the slack". Try not worrying about the frog, leave a bit of slack and work it with short twitches. The frog will walk with some practice.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: coldfront on October 18, 2018, 04:23:29 PM
well, you are aware of how the zara spook got it's name?

and down south I think it's PRO-nounced SA-SHAY!

~roflmao

That minnow, it do the hoochie coochie, just like the girls on Zaragosa Street   

or:  wish I had a swing like that on my back porch!
Haven't seen one in rainbow colors though!

cport

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 19, 2018, 07:47:08 AM
Haven't seen one in rainbow colors though!

LOL nice

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

SteelHorseCowboy

It's got me laughing about some funny chit that happened in J-ville NC many many moons ago.

coldfront

to get back on track  ;D

it's not the pull that creates the 'walk', it's the slack you put back in the line.
has to happen quick so the momentum of the bait is allowed to continue and line tension doesn't dampen the 'run'.

the_huber_show

All great tips! 

I know I have a few frogs....Spro (believe 55), river2sea spit, lunkerhunt mouse yappa and another one or two.

Is there one I should buy that will allow me to learn a bit better???

Stren_g

If you get the technique, they'll all do what you want. I like the plain ol spro bronzeye 65 and the booyah pad crasher.

coldfront

with right technique, you can walk a 1/4 oz rebel PopR

looks like a baitfish feeding in the surface film.  subtle

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 19, 2018, 08:56:06 AM
All great tips! 

I know I have a few frogs....Spro (believe 55), river2sea spit, lunkerhunt mouse yappa and another one or two.

Is there one I should buy that will allow me to learn a bit better???
The Terminator frog will have you walking the frog like a pro inside of 10min.

the_huber_show

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 19, 2018, 09:58:03 AM
The Terminator frog will have you walking the frog like a pro inside of 10min.

Oh ya I forgot you said that in your review!  I'll check it out

SFL BassHunter

I find the River2Sea BullyWa2 to be the easiest frog I have walked.

Second to that is the Terminator followed by Booyah Pad Crusher.

Spro and Live target have been the more difficult ones to walk for me. BUT they happen to be the best in durability.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

There are several brands of frogs out there that making walking very easy. The most important step in learning how to walk the frog is practice, and PRACTICE A LOT. Once the light bulb goes off and the angler learns how to walk the frog, they will quickly see that virtually any frog can be walked.