Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard hookset vs softer gradual hookset  (Read 394 times)

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Hard hookset vs softer gradual hookset
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

Cross their eyes hooksets have been around since flipp'n into heavy cover using a medium heavy rod became standard decades ago. Another hookset that seems appropriate that fit finesse lures and presentations is a gradual hookset which begins with a bass swimming off with the lure whether off the bottom or swimming it at any depth.

Braid has changed what we cast and how much power we apply to the hookset. Smaller diameter braid lines with no stretch allow the use of lighter lures that can be presented slowly when fish are less active but at the same time don't do well with heavy action rods. One thing sacrificed is strike sensitivity of light strikes as well as losing hooksets when fish feel resistance and then the lure is pulled out of its mouth when the fish turns its head away.

Granted, panfish aren't bass, but the same rules apply: when expecting a light strike, once felt, move the rod tip steadily in the opposite direction while reeling in line. When the fish panics once the fish starts the hook point pierce, the angler can set the hook more forcibly while maintaining rod angle. For this to work, medium action rods with a light action end portion insures less lost fish.

None of the above is recommended for top water and heavier lure/ heavy cover presentations.  But for slower presentations using light lures, rod action should be the first consideration as well as how the hook is set... at least in my experience over the last ten years.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:59:20 PM by saltystick »

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
Re: Hard hookset vs softer gradual hookset
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »

i've never been one to let the hooking of a bass be left up the the bass to basically hook itself.  some hook designs necessitate letting the fish hook itself though, but it seems to me from watching those that use that technique loss or miss many hook ups.

bo

Lee Smith

• CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »

i've never been one to let the hooking of a bass be left up the the bass to basically hook itself.  some hook designs necessitate letting the fish hook itself though, but it seems to me from watching those that use that technique loss or miss many hook ups.

bo

Bo is more about the "Neck Breaker" set like me!!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Lipripper

• LM Forum Staff
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »

Me too Mr Lee I'm a hard hook setter. ~bb

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »

I guess it would depend on the hook gap whether you set heavy or gradual. Most finesse lures use hooks with gaps from 2 - 2/0 and the metal is thinner than that of a skirted jig or spinnerbait. A gradual hookset take place in three steps: fish bump the lure or take it in its mouth, lets it go for a second and then grabs it a second later convinced the lure is escaping. The hookset follows the second bump which may be slightly felt.

I fished today in water that dropped in temperature to 62 from 70 degrees earlier in the week. The bite was slow, the fish in transition, but bass and panfish both hit the same way as described. I downsized my lures and rigged them on 1/16 oz ballhead jigs, catching fish in deep and shallow water (4-7'). The finesse plastics were hit mid- depth using slow unsteady retrieves and in almost every case the strike was a three-parter. Once felt, a very fast retrieve of the line caused the fish to panic and allow a more forceful hookset.

Again, this relates to the smaller lures and hooks used with finesse presentations. Even when a dropshot, the hook-set is the same.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »

I use jigs with thick hooks SK Hack Attack Heavy cover jig is my normal jig. When not tossing them I use the Owner 4X Jungle Flipping Hook on almost all my plastics. Almost always 50 or 65lb braid and a Heavy or Mag Heavy rated rod. Ill give ya one guess how I set the hook. lo If I think I feel a tick 255lbs ticks back. ~bb

I do own one Medium powered baitcasting rod I fish my smaller worms and some lures on with less than heavy wire hooks. This one rod and a couple Medium Heavy rods I fish my spinnerbaits and chatterbaits and some other moving baits. But even those I try to rip their face off, if its mono line I try even harder. ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:33:27 PM by SteveTX »
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »

I understand what you're saying and I agree about being gentle with light wire hooks but they still get some kind of a wrist pop. I like watching gills flying through the air.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »

The wrist pop does happen, just not initially.

I can catch bass into early Dec. as long as the ice hasn't formed with a water temp into the low 40's. Fish just don't need to feed near as much and getting them to strike is a challenge. Spinnerbaits and jigs don't work in the lakes I fish at that time of year but finesse lures do, which is why slowly worked hair jigs with trailers are popular - hits barely detectable.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »

Wack em hard! If the fish donít fly out the water you ainít doin it right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Champriderz

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »

If my feet didn't leave the deck I didn't set it hard enough :).

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 05:45:38 AM »

The only time I won't set the hook HARD is if I'm using a Crankbait or something of the like where the fish attacks the lure and hooks itself.

I don't do much finesse fishing with light line  and light wire hooks. If I did I might do a lighter hookset.

Circle Hooks are designed to let the fish get hooked by simply reeling up the slack, but they seem to be used more in Saltwater than fresh.

This weekend If I didn't set it with everything I had there was no way I was getting them up and moving out of the grass. A light hook set would of been complete failure.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »

where the fish attacks the lure and hooks itself.
(hookset is still required)
I don't do much finesse fishing with light line and light wire hooks. If I did I might do a lighter hookset.
Circle Hooks are designed to let the fish get hooked by simply reeling up the slack

Deadeye - thanks for the fine examples that didn't come to mind when I presented the topic.  ~c~
I forgot that when I use circle hooks there's no way can I set the hook hard immediately. I do use them but not often and have caught bass with nose-hooked plastic worms and flukes in shallow weeds with near-surface jerk retrieves.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:18:25 AM by saltystick »

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »

reminds me a bit of when I used to play softball. some guys would see the slow-moving ball, the short fences and just have to swing away.

long towering fly balls are still just 'outs'.

however you set the hook, it should be about effectiveness and efficiency.

if you toss baits with very heavy guage hooks, it has to be violent.
if you toss a lot of baits with lighter wire hooks, less violent sets work great.

i see guys swing for the fences a lot of the times.  very impressive.  but it's still about whether or not you hooked up and then got the fish into the boat.

however you set, I'm a fan of reeling down to the fish and feeling a bit of tension before sticking it to them.  I am not a fan of setting on slack, semi-slack line, although that IS a technique (woo daves?)

saltystick

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »

however you set, I'm a fan of reeling down to the fish and feeling a bit of tension before sticking it to them.  I am not a fan of setting on slack, semi-slack line, although that IS a technique (woo daves?)
  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Initial hooksets when using lighter wire hooks are pretty much what coldfront indicated - letting the fish let you know when it is time to set the hook harder. The instant a fish starts to panic after its escape-instinct kicks in is the time to simultaneously keep constant pressure on the fish winding line in at an angle and at the same time driving the hook point home with a harder hook set - kind of like driving in a nail. This also applies to setting the hook the smaller the treble.

Of course when I'm setting the hook using a 3/4 oz skirted jig, assuming a very sharp hook, power hook sets are a must.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.