Chipmunks

Started by Wizard, October 05, 2018, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

The wee little beasts are destroying my yard and damaging the foundation of my house. I've trapped about 10 of them since 1 Sep. It seemed like the numbers stayed the  same. I would take them a mile or two away but the numbers didn't decrease. I painted a red spot on the last 3 I caught. Sure enough, they returned. I hate to kill things but I have to stop the damage to my property. If anyone can think of a humane way to get rid of them without killing them, let me know.

Wizard

Lipripper

Sounds like you might need to take them on a longer trip like maybe 40 miles.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

I hate them. They are very destructive and build nests everywhere. Last year I replaced the passenger cabin air filter in my Toyota (which gets driven a lot). When I pulled the old filter out, a nest of pine needles, shredded paper, and acorn shells came out.  ~rant   Many years ago my mother's brand new car had to be towed back to the dealer to have the wiring harness and fuse panel replaced because the chipmunks had chewed everything in half.

Kill them! Kill them all!  >:D

I keep spring traps, glue traps, along enough TomCat poison pellets spread out in my garage and crawl space that it could kill a heard of buffalo.  A 12 gauge loaded with bird shot, works wonders but, an accurate pellet gun or a 22 loaded with subsonic rounds can also be a lot of fun. Eucalyptus, eucalyptus oil, and moth balls are all supposed to keep most rodents away but, who wants their place smelling like halls cough drops or grandma's closet.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

PM I would of suggested some of them things also but Wizard did say a humane way to get rid of them without killing them. lo lo

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Lipripper on October 05, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
PM I would of suggested some of them things also but Wizard did say a humane way to get rid of them without killing them. lo lo
It's humane as long as they die quickly.  >:D

Could also get a couple cats, don't feed them and leave them outside.  :-*
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Quote from: Princeton_Man on October 05, 2018, 12:15:10 PM
It's humane as long as they die quickly.  >:D

Could also get a couple cats, don't feed them and leave them outside.  :-*
That would make a good video. lo lo I don't think you can get rid of them without killing them unless you trapped them all and moved them like 40 miles away to another location. I was a little surprised that them three came back from a couple of miles away. I guess they are like dogs or cats and will find there way back home. ;D

Lee Smith

Choot um'! Chhhhhhooooooooott um'!  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fishballer06

Quote from: Lee Smith on October 05, 2018, 01:39:36 PM
Choot um'! Chhhhhhooooooooott um'!  ;D

Bwahahaha  lo ~roflmao

I have some 22 ammo that has him on the box and it says "Choot um!" as well. Cracks me up every time I grab a box to go shoot.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

SteelHorseCowboy

There are all sorts of suggestions online to keep them away, just google "how to repel chipmunks".
I didn't go through them all, but it looks like most of the suggestions are scent related; garlic, ammonia, predator urine, stuff like that.

I know moles hate mothballs, as do lots of other pests, and you can get it in powder and pellet form these days.

If you can't repel them, then Lip's suggestion of a longer road trip is probably the next most humane way to get rid of them.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Terry G

Fish them like a frog

Oldfart9999

Try mothballs in the nests, they do work for some pesky varmits.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Deadeye

Get a good "mouser" cat and your done. Leave it live outside.

My Mom's house used to get overrun each year. A couple of good Outside Cats and problem solved.

D.W. Verts

I've got some good recipes around here somewhere...
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX