Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunk board experment  (Read 92 times)

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
Bunk board experment
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:47 PM »

A while back I looked at Ultimate Bunk Boards. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger. I did some research online and found out some are saying they are a composite decking board.

So it just happens one of my bunks went south the other day. So off to Home Depot I went. I found some composite decking boards just like mentioned on the web. Not sure it was a great deal but they had some at 50% off. So I took a gamble on them and bought 2 of the 2 x 6 x 16ft boards at $47 total. My trailer uses two 5ft and two 9ft bunks so these should work great.

Considering they were $40+ a board at regular price I got to wondering what it was that was so special about them. I got online and found the company. MoistureShield is the company and man does it look like these should do well. https://www.moistureshield.com/water-applications/
Water Applications

Building a dock, pier, marina or by a pool? Never compromise when building by water. MoistureShield® is the only wood plastic composite that can be installed on or in the ground, or underwater, without voiding the industry’s best warranty.

I will be connecting/extending each brace that the bunks bolt to with a metal brace that runs the length of the bunk. Welding the same size metal as the perches should last as long at the trailer. This will essentially do what the aluminum bracing that Ultimate Bunk Boards uses to stop the sagging.

I would imaging they will be slick as described by others so caution unloading will be taken.     

So how crazy is this idea?  lo
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
Re: Bunk board experment
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 06:01:14 AM »

Steve,
are you sure that your route is actually cheaper?  I replaced my bunk boards a few months back with the Ultimate product.

and yes, I did upgrade to the aluminum backed version.

think I spent $250 although today they're priced at $288.
I figured amortized over the life of the boat (it's aluminum so it'll outlive me) and knowing I no longer have to re-carpet (basically maintenance free) that it was at worst a break-even proposition. 

might not be for everyone, but seemed the logical solution for me.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:16:56 PM »

Sounds like you have a good deal going. All in all what do you think you've spent, mounting hardware included.  :-\ Assuming you have the hardware laying around or cheap access, you're back together for a fifty spot?
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »

Sounds like you have a good deal going. All in all what do you think you've spent, mounting hardware included.  :-\ Assuming you have the hardware laying around or cheap access, you're back together for a fifty spot?
Well I have been working lately and haven’t decided but I was going to try and find stainless hardware. 16 bolts, 16 washers, 16 nuts, in stainless might be pricey. I can do it with other hardware that I have and yeah it won’t cost me a penny more than the $47 and the gas I spent to go 2 min up the road to Home Depot.

Will have to get a new cordless though mine just quit a few weeks ago out of nowhere. Worked great then nothing.  ~rant or guess I could jack it up off the trailer here at the house.  :-*

I don’t see how this max price for me would be over $75 with stainless hardware.  Otherwise $50 is what I’ll have in materials.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 23 queries.