Practicing For My COORT Tournament

Started by D.W. Verts, October 25, 2018, 08:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

COORT= "Coming out of retirement"...

Although this derby isn't until December, I thought I'd better start practicing. You can never get enough practice.

Well, maybe you can, but I'm not practicing by looking for fish, or trying different patterns. My "practice" is learning how to use a net, by myself. Something I have almost zero experience at. And after watching all the netting screw-ups on FLW, I see the need to have a plan in place. And that's how my brain works, right there. Prayers are welcomed.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

All my single events allow netting and it can be challenging to hold a rod and net at the same time. A lot of it is don't grab the net before you have the fish close enough. I see a lot of guys run out of arm a foot or two before the fish is in the net. For me, I've learned if it's less than four pounds I consider boat flipping...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Nutoy

Yes, it's good to have a plan in place BEFORE you need it.

I'm with Mike. If it's 5 lbs or less, it usually gets boat flipped, unless it's on a bait with tiny treble hooks. And it's rare that I'm throwing a bait with tiny trebles anyways.
I've usually got a 7'6"- 8' XH or XXH flippin rod with 65-80 braid in my hand.

I see those guys on TV and think how lucky some of them are to not have lost some good fish. The ones that crack me up is when they throw the rod down and grab the line on a green fish.
Or they grab the net and it's tangled up in their other rods and baits. DUHHHH.
My net stays on the drivers seat with the handle layed across the windshield.

Lipripper

Yelp Dale get all the practice in you can so come December it will be second nature for you and you will have it all worked out. Oh and good luck on your COART  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

I get lots of netting practice in April and May on big smallies on light line. And this happens every year before my tourneys really get going. It is good practice as I find myself making minor mistakes for the first few fish every year.

Best of Luck on the COART tourney.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Bud Kennedy

Dale, is this event a one day or multi day deal? and is it gonna be at LOZ?

D.W. Verts

Bud- It's a two-day event, December 1st and 2nd, the Webb Outdoors Elite Circuit, and yes, it's at LOZ. Out of Robyn's Resort. I don't even know exactly where that even is.

And I'm working hard to get into the minimum of good health I'll need to participate.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff