My 2nd Meat Shoot

Started by the_huber_show, October 08, 2018, 11:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_huber_show

Well yesterday I did my second meat shoot with my buddy.  Used his match 12 gauge.  The gun was hammering boards but we just where not hitting our marks we made  ~b~

My last board I apparently didn't rack the gun hard enough and the shell blew up in the chamber.  The pellets went down range but it made a load bang and scared everyone.  (was the 3rd one to happen that day)

When I racked the gun I heard it click but guess it wasn't racked fully.  Anyways luckily no one was hurt accept my pride  lo

I don't play around when it comes to weapons and I felt like an idiot but apparently it's somewhat common.

Anyways I didn't win any meat but a few pounds of bacon which is a win in my book
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Lipripper

Sure glad you escaped with only a hurt pride.  ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

the_huber_show

Quote from: Lipripper on October 08, 2018, 11:25:22 AM
Sure glad you escaped with only a hurt pride.  ~sweat

Oh I agree!  The metal casing broke off the hull casing.  Had to take the pieces out and shoot my last shell  lo

Lipripper

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 08, 2018, 11:38:51 AM

Oh I agree!  The metal casing broke off the hull casing.  Had to take the pieces out and shoot my last shell  lo
I don't think I have every had that happen to me.  ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

the_huber_show

Quote from: Lipripper on October 08, 2018, 11:56:55 AM
I don't think I have every had that happen to me.  ~sweat

Oh you would know if you had  ~roflmao

Oldfart9999

You might want to go through yourself or have a smith go through the action, it shouldn't be common.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

Did this happen all three times with the same gun?
I could help understand this issue and how to correct it with more details, but it sounds to me like worn and/or dirty bolt and shell lifter.
What I'm getting from your story is that what's really going on, is that the gun is basically auto ejecting. Going off, then the slide and action are slamming to the rear on their own. As you can tell, a pump action is obviously not supposed to do that.
I've never seen one that's even capable of being fired without the bolt all the way forward, but I've seen many dirty and worn bolts and lifters cause a pump action to do what I've described.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

SteveTX

I don't know the reason for it but Ive been around shotguns my entire life and it's not somewhat common from any of my entire life or any of the men I know who shoot. :shocking: I would most definitely take the gun down and go over it thoroughly piece by piece. If I couldn't find the issue I would seek extra help from a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Its not worth taking the risk. If a shell blew up in the chamber something is definitely wrong. You get one face and from what I have seen in plastic surgery even a ugly mug from God is a 1000 times better than mans best attempt.

You said it, "I don't play around when it comes to weapons."  I highly recommend that gun get fixed for your safety something is definitely wrong.

the_huber_show

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 08, 2018, 05:16:59 PM
Did this happen all three times with the same gun?
I could help understand this issue and how to correct it with more details, but it sounds to me like worn and/or dirty bolt and shell lifter.
What I'm getting from your story is that what's really going on, is that the gun is basically auto ejecting. Going off, then the slide and action are slamming to the rear on their own. As you can tell, a pump action is obviously not supposed to do that.
I've never seen one that's even capable of being fired without the bolt all the way forward, but I've seen many dirty and worn bolts and lifters cause a pump action to do what I've described.

No all different guns.

My guess is it being dirty.  My buddy said he hadn't cleaned it since before the last shoot in July. 

Quote from: SteveTX on October 08, 2018, 09:37:04 PM
I don't know the reason for it but Ive been around shotguns my entire life and it's not somewhat common from any of my entire life or any of the men I know who shoot. :shocking: I would most definitely take the gun down and go over it thoroughly piece by piece. If I couldn't find the issue I would seek extra help from a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Its not worth taking the risk. If a shell blew up in the chamber something is definitely wrong. You get one face and from what I have seen in plastic surgery even a ugly mug from God is a 1000 times better than mans best attempt.

You said it, "I don't play around when it comes to weapons."  I highly recommend that gun get fixed for your safety something is definitely wrong.

Oh I agree!  I was kinda shocked when everyone acted like it was so common.  I thought I had it racked all the way but I've never seen a shotgun shoot if it wasn't either.  It was a learning experience forsure and I was lucky that is wasn't a hurtful one!

SteelHorseCowboy

I'd put my money on simply being dirty then.
I've been "fixing" guns for a while now, it's actually rare that I have to replace parts, 99% of problems I fix are done with copious amounts of cleaning solvent and elbow grease, any replacement parts usually end up being some springs. We have so many country boys and rednecks around here who think cleaning a gun means swabbing the bore and wiping down the outside, then get butt hurt when you tell 'em it was just dirty because "I've been around guns all my life, I know how to clean one!"

Your buddy said he hasn't cleaned it in months. Even if he hasn't shot it, the lubricants could have gummed up. Gummy oil is worse than none at all.

All of mine that I consider "in use", which means even home defense guns that haven't been fired, get scrubbed and relubed once a month, those in storage get inspected at the same time for rust.

the_huber_show

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 09, 2018, 09:12:08 AM
I'd put my money on simply being dirty then.
I've been "fixing" guns for a while now, it's actually rare that I have to replace parts, 99% of problems I fix are done with copious amounts of cleaning solvent and elbow grease, any replacement parts usually end up being some springs. We have so many country boys and rednecks around here who think cleaning a gun means swabbing the bore and wiping down the outside, then get butt hurt when you tell 'em it was just dirty because "I've been around guns all my life, I know how to clean one!"

Your buddy said he hasn't cleaned it in months. Even if he hasn't shot it, the lubricants could have gummed up. Gummy oil is worse than none at all.

All of mine that I consider "in use", which means even home defense guns that haven't been fired, get scrubbed and relubed once a month, those in storage get inspected at the same time for rust.

Oh I agree!  I am the same way with my guns.  I haven't dropped the money on a meat shoot gun yet because I was trying to see if it's worth it to me or not yet lol. 

D.W. Verts

Your gun is out of time if it fires without being locked shut.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

I was thinking about this. I have a Stephens 520 (old gun) 12ga pump and it is what they call a repeater. In other words I can fire it then continue to hold the trigger and pump out every round in the magazine as fast as I can pump the rounds into the camber. Ive read some call it slam fire. I guess because as you slam the shell in the chamber it immediately fires. I would think if any pump was going to have one explode in the chamber this would be a excellent candidate. I just cant imagine as I play with it like that having a shell blow up in the chamber. I mean things are happening so fast yet its so smooth and consistent. This gun is far from pristine yet it or any of my other shotguns never ever had a shell blow up in the chamber. It just makes me think that much more there is definitely a mechanical failure somewhere.   

Do you know what exact gun it was that did this?

This is my Stephens 520 right after several coats of tongue oil. Normally not near that shiny.

the_huber_show

I don't know what gun manufacture it is.  I just know it's a pump action 12 gauge with a custom match barrel. 

D.W. Verts

The Model 12 Winchester is the same way. If it gets out of time it can fire a shell early.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!

SteelHorseCowboy

Meh, I still think it's firing as it should, but not locking up properly because it's dirty or gummy.

D.W. Verts

But it shouldn't be able to fire until it's locked up. Out of time.

SteelHorseCowboy

Not necessarily. I've seen them slam open from recoil because of a dirty action.

D.W. Verts

But that wouldn't let the cases come apart... This thing is apparent firing with the breech OPEN.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: D.W. Verts on October 13, 2018, 10:18:30 PM
But that wouldn't let the cases come apart... This thing is apparent firing with the breech OPEN.

Not apparent, it is open, by a significant amount. This needs to be looked at by somebody trained and experienced enough to tear it down and tell worn and broken parts from dirt, it doesn't sound like a dirt problem alone to me.
Rodney

SteelHorseCowboy

Is this the picture you guys are talking about?

This has to be a picture taken after firing or during sighting, as it's impossible for a shotgun to fire a round in the receiver when there is no round in the receiver...
The action is clearly completely open and there is no round present in front of the bolt. At all.

Oldfart9999

It sounds like the bolt isn't locked in but still firing, the gap between bolt face and chamber has to be significant for the round to explode. By significant I mean tens of a thousand of unsupported brass.
Rodney

the_huber_show

The above picture was taken earlier in the day.  I was lining up the sight but had not put a shell in yet.

Deadeye

In any case, I'd never use that gun again until it was looked at by a Profession Gunsmith.

I've had lots of shotguns and I've never had one do that.

SteveTX

Quote from: Deadeye on October 16, 2018, 05:08:33 AM
In any case, I'd never use that gun again until it was looked at by a Profession Gunsmith.

I've had lots of shotguns and I've never had one do that.
That is exactly what I am thinking. One mistake and you need a new face. Aint worth it.