Motor Mate Paint Issue

Started by Bud Kennedy, November 10, 2018, 07:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

A few months ago I bought a motor mate.  The product works great and I am happy with how it performs.  I do have a problem though.  The paint is actually pealing off in fairly large strips as if during the painting process it did not bond to the Stainless Steel Surface.  I will call Motor Mate on Monday to report this and will take some pictures of it today that I will post a bit later.  Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Princeton_Man

I would have thought they were powder coated.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Went out this morning and took the Motor Mate off of the motor and I noticed that the paint damage is a self inflicted wound.  I had selected a set of mounting holes that allowed the mate to rub onto part of the motor mount frame causing the paint to peal off.  This is not a motor mate problem but my poor choice of mounting holes.  The Johnson's have 8 holes and I have simply moved the motor mate to another set of holes to avoid contact with the motor frame.

FlatsNBay

Mine did the same thing. I repainted it myself with some good Rust-Oleum paint. Also the plastic/rubber stoppers eventually worn off so I added some big rubber chair tips that seem to be working ok. I later learned that they have a good warranty and I probably should have sent the Motor Mate back to get a new one.

Bud Kennedy

Motormate has asked for some pictures to support my complaint.  Thought I would also share them with Ultimate Bass.

Bud Kennedy

Motormate has determined that my paint problem is due to metal to metal contact with the motormate device.  I do agree that the original install I did was not appropriate.  I had selected mounting holes that allowed the product to touch elements of the motor frame itself.  I have since changed which holes I use and not metal to metal contact is possible.  So I guess you could say it is a self inflicted wound.  Motormate did confirm that any metal to metal contact will indeed cause the paint chipping as depicted by the photos I provided earlier in this post.

Motormate is unwilling to replace the unit for the above reasons but has offered me another unit at a greatly reduced price in leu of replacement.  While I am not totally happy with this result, I do appreciate the discounted price and have taken them up on this deal.

The customer service rep has been very good to work/negotiate with during this process.  I am very happy with the product overall and will continue using on my boat.

Oldfart9999

Not a bad deal Bud, sounds like they are standing behind their product.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

The new replacement Motormate arrived today.  Went with the black color this time.  You can bet I will be careful how I install it so I don't mess up the paint again. Thanks Motormate, you kept your promise.

Oldfart9999

Looks nice Bud, do you have a pic of it installed?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.