What Pain REALLY Does

Started by D.W. Verts, October 10, 2018, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W. Verts

Well, for me it's a mind thing. It really is is messin' with my head, I mean. Something new every few days, a new ache, the return of my Gout, and then there's this (almost) Gone Today But Here Tomorrow thing with my back is getting very very old. I keep telling myself that there are folks who have it way worse than I do and that I'm lucky to be where I'm at.

But the day-to-day chores that come with our small farm and the restaurant can be overwhelming. The wood is not cut that we heat with both at home and in the business. And fishing? Well, I didn't go again today even though I had the time. I just felt a little extra rest/healing time would be good for me. But my head says "well, CRAP." You know?
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Mike Cork

Dale I hear ya, I've got chronic pain that can't be described in words. Most of us over 50 do I reckon.

I was talking with my 74-year-old father last night and we were talking about how it's a crap shoot every time we go to bed as to what will hurt when we wake up. He laughed... I asked him what's so funny and in his sadistic sense of humor he said, "you're just getting started, I've lived it for 25 years already"

Between my back, shoulder, and elbow, I'm guaranteed to have something hurt tremendously each morning. It's the mornings that something unexpected hurts as well. I get up, drink my coffee and start stretching. Some mornings I have to think about Clay Dyer and if he can stay positive and keep pushing then anyone can and I'm in zero position to complain about my problems.

Hang in there, it only gets tougher I promise. But for me, my drive gets stronger too. When I beat the young guns on the lake with all their attitude and energy, it feels good and overrides my pains.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Dale you've got a long way to go, see a Dr. about your back to make sure it's not a problem, have him/her check your heart also, when you know what's up join a gym and see a trainer for 2 or 3 sessions then do what he/she recommends. That's basically what I did and now I can stand all day in the boat and I have enough stamina to keep going when it's tough out there, I'm 73 and am not ready to cash it in, I'm too freaking miserable to give up.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Only the strong survive. We'll see.

Rodney, I have my own Gym at Casa Del Dale (my man cave) because it's way too far to go anyplace to work out consistently.

Wizard

Sometimes the day after a workout, the body is really hurting. The pain is so bad it makes me physically ill. The cardiologist took all pain meds away for a year. The dr.'s told me to cut back workouts until the pain goes away. The problem is the pain never goes away. Only remedy is a nightly meeting with my old buddy, Jack Daniels.

Wizard

SteelHorseCowboy

I used to do the same, but Maker's Mark is my drink of choice.

https://youtu.be/nuT6REHEAEU

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

DocIrv

I am 72 and know all about pain. We all get a large share of the pain gene which seems to be timed to begin to go off at your 40th birthday. I cannot stand in a bass boat and have not been able to for over 10 years. Right hip go ugh, left knee go ugh after a few hundred yards of pained walking. I am so fortunate that I live in a time when a replacement hip and knee are routine, as are all of us who have joint maladies. It's the choice we are asked to  make regarding how we treat the pain that is fraught with peril. The drugs for my neuropathy make me non functional. Dam, I hardly function  normally without drugs. The gout attack in my case is not from elevated uric acid, mine is in middle of the normal range so the meds do not work. Can't take nsaid pain killers like ibuprofen and acetametaphin ( I just wanted to see if I could spell those two words) because of cysts and problems in the kidneys. Does not leave much for pain relief other than opioids and no thanks. Tried it once and made me crazy (crazier). Yes, we all  have our aches and pains and challenges and yes it seems to increase but as Mike said we also get tougher and more resistant, to a point.... I hope none of us ever has to get to that point. By the way I kayak fished two days ago in the upper Chesapeake area a river called Northeast. Did about 3.6 miles and caught over 30 bass. The best day I ever had on the Northeast. Felt no pain for 8 hours while sitting and pedaling my Hobie Outback kayak. Got out and there it was waiting for me at the dock, the pain.
UB members get a 20% discount. Use the coupon code UB20 during check out. If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
*But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I ret

geneinnc

I'm back to using a cane after 4 hours on the trolling motor. Sciatic nerve impingement is the doctors term. Ive got to ride it out until the first day of 2019.
Dolt on the phone said lower copays are the goal. Laying 10 to 1 the $750 copay drops to $700 or more. When you start to collect the small portion of SS that you paid your working years, SS goal is to pay as little as possible before you hopefully die before you surpass your expiration date.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

D.W. Verts

Wow. The whole world is a scam.