Matching baitcasting reels to rod power

Started by Bankbeater56, October 11, 2018, 08:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

I've got 2 Tatula reels, one in 6:3:1 and the other is a 7:3:1. I have a MHF 7' rod and will be buying another rod on Black Friday. Wondering what power to get, another MHF or go with a M this time? If I get a med( which I'm leaning towards) what reel would you pair it with? Or does it really matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zippyduck

It all matters in what techniques you will be using.
I use 6:3:1 for cranks and spinnerbaits.

The faster the reel the more I use it for bottom contact baits. I use it to get fish out of cover fast and to get the bait back in faster to make more casts.

A 7:3:1 is a great all around speed reel.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Pferox

I would go with a medium moderate as a second rod, something more parabolic in response.  This allows you a very wide range of action for different techniques with just two rods.  Length should be considered too, but that should be a different thread IMO.

I would experiment with which reel to which rod, it would depend on how you fish each rod, and how it feels to you.  As a start though I would go with the 6:1 on the medium rod this would help when cranking, IMO.

Back when I was buying my reels 7:? reels were just coming out and the 6s were the standard for a long time, so I'm a little biased towards the slower reels.  I also don't fish Bass like I used to, so I tend to gravitate to lower geared reels now for the winch factor. 
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

loomisguy

I would be more inclined to match the reel speed to the bait rather than the rod.
What are you wanting to do with the new rod ?

SteveTX

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on October 11, 2018, 08:29:04 PM
I've got 2 Tatula reels, one in 6:3:1 and the other is a 7:3:1. I have a MHF 7' rod and will be buying another rod on Black Friday. Wondering what power to get, another MHF or go with a M this time? If I get a med( which I'm leaning towards) what reel would you pair it with? Or does it really matter?
I think to answer your questions there should be some factors to consider. One is your location. If your fishing is like a lot of vegetation then a heavier rod may be more suited. If your plan is a lot of open water maybe lean the other way. 

Either way in order to pick the rod you would want to have you first would need to know what type of fishing are you planning to do. If you like or plan to throw baits that fall into a lighter weight (finesse) category then by all means look for a rod that is suited to the weights you plan to throw.

As to what reel to what rod, ultimately either will work. It would be imho better based on what is tied on to the rod and where and how you plan to fish it if you were really trying to refine your approach.

Burbarry

Check out a good rod reel brand that I'm starting to like a lot. The brand is SIXGILL I got in on one of the sales of BOGO for the rods and got a coupon for BOGO reel on a holiday. But their site tells you what they recommend for each rod and as for the reel higher gear will retrieve line faster. So I use higher gear reels on crankbaits, spoons, jigs, ect. Lower gear on worms, finesse type lures.

loomisguy

Why would you want a faster reel to crank with than one you would fish plastics with ?

Burbarry

I fish plastics slower usually weightless and don't want the line coming in to fast. Think of bass sitting on nest that won't bite anything. Drop a worm or craw plastic on the eggs they will go crazy. Now getting it right on the nest spot is hard if you reel once and it comes in just past it.

loomisguy

I'm not a huge fan of bed fishing but I'd want to pitch it on the bed and be able to get it back as quickly as possible for the next pitch.. I move the bait with the rod tip .

D.W. Verts

Hmmm. I am most definitely gettin' to be an old guy.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

zippyduck

Quote from: loomisguy on October 12, 2018, 04:41:37 PM
I'm not a huge fan of bed fishing but I'd want to pitch it on the bed and be able to get it back as quickly as possible for the next pitch.. I move the bait with the rod tip .

Exactly,

Moving your bait with the reel will make you miss so many bites. Moving a bait with the rod at 10 - 12 O'clock will give you the feel and the tip action to not spook fish.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Burbarry

I move the bait with the rod but sometimes you need to adjust a little and get a little closer to the egg sac they laid.

loomisguy

Your fish must bed really shallow if you can see that.

Burbarry

I'm usually a shore fisherman. Only recently just bought my first boat. But yeah walking the shore line I can usually see where they are trying to protect.