EBay question

Started by Bankbeater56, October 14, 2018, 07:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

So I want to find out if I'm being overly picky. I received my Pflueger Supreme today and I'm a tad disappointed. The description in the listing said OPEN BOX LIKE NEW. When I took a good look at it I noticed so scratches and a tiny gouge. In the bail arm. I paid 82.00 for it and feel as a demo or floor model it should have been a little cheaper. I sent an email to the seller asking him to refund me 7 dollars as this reel was clearly a floor model. Am I wrong? Should I have known this by the description?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTodd

I don't think so; it doesn't sound to me like he was completely honest with you

Capt. BassinLou

You are learning some tough Ebay lessons bud.
Unless it says New In Box,  the rest is open to the interpretation of the seller. What are the ratings of the sellers you are interacting with?

Bankbeater56

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 14, 2018, 07:45:18 PM
You are learning some tough Ebay lessons bud.
Unless it says New In Box,  the rest is open to the interpretation of the seller. What are the ratings of the sellers you are interacting with?
Last seller has 100% positives. I normally have no issues with EBay, I've had a lot of success, last two, not so much. But yeah your right, need to really pay attention to the description.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on October 14, 2018, 08:28:33 PM
Last seller has 100% positives. I normally have no issues with EBay, I've had a lot of success, last two, not so much. But yeah your right, need to really pay attention to the description.

The last seller that sold you the Tatula was 100%?

Bankbeater56

Contacted the seller about getting a 7 dollar refund to offset price to where I thought it should have been and got an email this morning from PayPal notifying me of a 7 dollar refund

Bankbeater56

Quote from: Bassinlou on October 14, 2018, 08:29:54 PM
The last seller that sold you the Tatula was 100%?
No the last seller was for the Supreme Spinning Reel.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on October 15, 2018, 06:15:01 AM
Contacted the seller about getting a 7 dollar refund to offset price to where I thought it should have been and got an email this morning from PayPal notifying me of a 7 dollar refund

Well now that's pretty cool of the seller!
I look at pictures when shopping ebay. Haven't bought anything on there in a while, but one thing I'd say is if the description says "Pictures not of actual item" or something to that effect, I'd pass.
Most good sellers would take clear pictures of any marks, exactly as you did.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

I agree with SHC, Look over the pics very carefully and check the rating of the seller. Demo equals used is the way to look at at a demo anything, kit gets picked up and handles turned, bails flipped etc. etc. I've bought reels off ebay and have done well, the first thing that gets done is a cleaning, tuning and relube before it goes on a rod. I've only bought 1 New in Box and it was, dealer had a 99% rating, the rest were used but in good shape, one needed parts, Matt took care of that reel because I was wearing a cast, he did a great job. You just need to be picky.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteelHorseCowboy

I also don't mind some scratches, but like you said, the price needs to reflect a USED reel price. I don't care if the seller pulled it out to take pics then dropped it while putting it back in the box, it's now "used" and marred in my opion.

the_huber_show

Like new now days means I used it a couple times and want to sell it.  You are correct the seller should have shown pictures with any damage which scratches are as they don't come new that way
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Bankbeater56

Out of the box this thing was not very smooth. Handle would abruptly stop turning, not the gradual stopping one would expect. I took handle and side plate off and the gears were loaded with grease. I removed a good portion and oiled the bearings, now it is a lot smoother but still needs some work. I will give it to one of the guys here in the future.

Wizard

I've found some bad sellers that had 100% rating. One was a boat dealer at LOZ. He was one of their "Power Seller"  companies. I bid on a new bass boat, went to pick it up and he said the trailer didn't come with the boat but I could buy it for $6000. He wasn't on the lake and you had to have a trailer to move it off his premises. The cost of the trailer from the manufacturer was $2000. I turned him in to ebay. They cancelled the deal and gave him a warning. When he did something else very shady, ebay kicked him off the site. I had some successful buys but seldom visit the site now.

Wizard

the_huber_show

Quote from: Wizard on October 16, 2018, 09:35:52 AM
I've found some bad sellers that had 100% rating. One was a boat dealer at LOZ. He was one of their "Power Seller"  companies. I bid on a new bass boat, went to pick it up and he said the trailer didn't come with the boat but I could buy it for $6000. He wasn't on the lake and you had to have a trailer to move it off his premises. The cost of the trailer from the manufacturer was $2000. I turned him in to ebay. They cancelled the deal and gave him a warning. When he did something else very shady, ebay kicked him off the site. I had some successful buys but seldom visit the site now.

Wizard

Unfortunately with eBay "Power Seller" only means so much now too!  I sold a Galaxy S8 a few weeks back.  Guy bought it with in minutes.  I mark it shipped the next day and eBay deleted the user for suspicious activity.  Then reposted it and the same buyer bought again with another account and messaged me.  Literally both accounts had well over 3000+ feedback and 98% or higher.

Bankbeater56

Quote from: the_huber_show on October 16, 2018, 09:48:11 AM

Unfortunately with eBay "Power Seller" only means so much now too!  I sold a Galaxy S8 a few weeks back.  Guy bought it with in minutes.  I mark it shipped the next day and eBay deleted the user for suspicious activity.  Then reposted it and the same buyer bought again with another account and messaged me.  Literally both accounts had well over 3000+ feedback and 98% or higher.
Sad! I have had a lot of success with EBay, only negatives have been because I did not do my due diligence. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to tell the good from the bad. Used to be if they had "power seller" and at least 98% positive feed back you figured to be pretty safe, not anymore.
I purchased a Tatula CT a few days ago. Description said it is in MINT condition. We shall see, pictures that accompanied the post were not very good quality, but again we shall see!

the_huber_show

Quote from: Bankbeater56 on October 16, 2018, 10:11:38 AM
Sad! I have had a lot of success with EBay, only negatives have been because I did not do my due diligence. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to tell the good from the bad. Used to be if they had "power seller" and at least 98% positive feed back you figured to be pretty safe, not anymore.
I purchased a Tatula CT a few days ago. Description said it is in MINT condition. We shall see, pictures that accompanied the post were not very good quality, but again we shall see!

Oh I agree 100%

eBay has always been my go to but it's getting much harder to tell the good from bad

Bankbeater56

Received the reel today. Very sweet, this thing looks brand new. I'm very pleased

SteelHorseCowboy

Wow. I've only had two bad experiences, but I admit I mostly window shop on eBay, rarely actually buy anything.
One experience I mentioned earlier in another thread I believe. I expected a scam, hoped for the best, ended up getting my money back.

The other bad experience was a bit worse but resolved faster. This was back when eBay and PayPal were fairly new and security was a bit of an issue. I bought a $10 desk decoration, an old school looking spyglass like you'd see in Pirates of the Caribbean.
No problem with the purchase, but a couple days later my bank account was wiped out of about 4 grand. I resolved it through my bank, got my money back in less than a week, and they told me later the theft was through "online fraud".

Their security's gotten much better since then, along with bank and credit company security. As far as I know there's been no widespread issues like this in recent years with those two companies, but on the rare occasions I purchase something through eBay, I usually use a pre paid visa gift card. Limits my losses if I get robbed online again.

WTodd

I have only bought ONE thing on eBay (a good deal on some Power Pro); I just don't trust them. I know I can save $$$$ but I just don't want the hassle. I'll probably buy something else in the future but I doubt I'll buy a lot

Capt. BassinLou

I have bought a good amount of fishing stuff on ebay. From reels to baits. But, I only by from reputable dealers, who sell fishing supplies.

bobsquatch13

I have over 400 buys off ebay over some number of years and only had problems with 3 or 4 of them - all of which got money refunded by ebay fairly quickly. Normally don't buy unless seller rating in the 99.3 up range, maybe less if minor items. Have bought from same sellers a lot of times with major type dollar items thru well known sellers with great reputations. Something that appears too good to be true likely is.

Pacific NW Ron

That's why I don't buy from EBay.  I don't think you're being unreasonable at all, in fact from what you say about what the description was I'd ask for more or a full refund, or a prepaid return label.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bankbeater56

Quote from: bobsquatch13 on October 20, 2018, 12:10:25 PM
I have over 400 buys off ebay over some number of years and only had problems with 3 or 4 of them - all of which got money refunded by ebay fairly quickly. Normally don't buy unless seller rating in the 99.3 up range, maybe less if minor items. Have bought from same sellers a lot of times with major type dollar items thru well known sellers with great reputations. Something that appears too good to be true likely is.