Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry lube for baitcast spool bearings  (Read 486 times)

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Dry lube for baitcast spool bearings
« on: October 20, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

Has anyone tried a dry lube for spook bearings? I have some 3-in-1 oil branded dry lube and also some Blaster dry lube that has worked wonders on my power tools in my wood shop. Seems as though dust wont even stick to surfaces where this has been applied. Im wondering if it will be good on my baitcast spool bearings.

FloridaFishinFool

• Fisher Person
Re: Dry lube for baitcast spool bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »

Lubricant viscosity and granulation size of dry lube matters because reel bearings are so small and the weight turning them is also small.

3 in 1 oil is too heavy and too thick of a general purpose lubricant for reel bearings. 3 in 1 has an additive that makes the oil stick or stay in place that could slow the bearings down.

3 in 1 is designed as a light to medium weight general purpose lubricant for heavier equipment than reels. It is for bicycles, skateboards, locks, door hinges, etc.

Remeber the Lucas oil demonstration display in automotive parts store? The clear plastic display with gears inside so you crank the handle and watch the oil stick to the gears? That additive is good for cars but bad for reels.

I'd avoid sticky oils.

I would go down in weight density and viscosity for reel bearings to a lightweight machine oil the type commonly found used on sewing machines and barber clippers works well. But even most of these are petroleum based. In the rod and reel shop we use all synthetic lubricants as required by most manufacturers because some petroleum lubricants can dissolve internal reel parts.

This type of lubrication may work well on larger bearings from power tools to trailers to automotive and train bearings, but on small reel bearings could slow them down and impede operation.

Dry lube only does not protect steel from rusting.

On steel and ceramic hybrid bearings I use a very lightweight synthetic oil and then use an air compressor to blow and spin out excess. No dry lube.

On full ceramic bearings I use no lubrication at all. Just keep them clean.

The full ceramic bearings spin easily because the ceramic material is so hard and slick that lubrication does not help them to spin better. Adding oil actually slows these down.

But it can't hurt to experiment. You can always flush it out.

I have no experience with blaster dry lube.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:55:47 AM by FloridaFishinFool »
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »

Is there a common oil sold at hardware stores that I can get? I still have some of the oil left that came with my reel but its almost gone. I have a good sized container of oil made for paper shredders that seems to be very lightweight like the clipper oil I also have and thought about trying it just to see what it would do. Otherwise, what do you suggest? Id like to avoid the need for ordering but I would if I had to.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

I have two "go-to" oils for most things.

One is Zoom-Spout. Can be found at ACE hardware stores and is dirt cheap, like $2.99 for a six ounce bottle.
It's specifically turbine bearing oil. Paraffin based.

The other I like to use is harder to come by, MAY find it in some sporting goods stores, but not likely any more.
Beware, it smells like dirty gym socks and the fumes can irritate your throat. Ballistol. A white mineral oil based lubricant/cleaner that's good for just about anything.
Just don't clean the toilet seat with it, you'll slip off at the worst possible time. Or the floors, for obvious reasons.

I use that stuff to clean and polish the kitchen table, my desk, lube anything that needs lubing, soften rust and carbon, clean glass, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

FloridaFishinFool

• Fisher Person
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »

A white mineral oil based lubricant/cleaner that's good for just about anything.
Just don't clean the toilet seat with it, you'll slip off at the worst possible time. Or the floors, for obvious reasons.

That had me laughing.

Super Lube is a common lubricant. For bearings look for spray. It is lighter and thinner.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »

Hot Sauce, Ardent Reel Butter and sometimes others can be found at most any tackle store, they'er all very good. I've used Hot Sauce and can tell you it works. A half ounce bottle will do a whole lot of reels, all you need is one drop per bearing, anymore is waste and can slow a bearing down.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

FloridaFishinFool

• Fisher Person
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »

FYI... Some brands will void warranties if unapproved lubricants are used. If the reel or reels are out of warranty it does not matter too much until repairs are needed. If shimano receives a reel for repair with hot sauce found inside of the reel, shimano has been known to send it back to its owner without a repair. Not sure if this was done in or out of warranty, but I would guess it was a warranty claim shimano denied. Shimano does not like hot sauce.

Reel manufacturers are now putting parts inside of reels that work fine with manufacturer recommended lubricants, but when an end user uses certain lubricants not recommended by manufacturer then parts inside of reels can be ruined, damaged, and even dissolved by the wrong lubricants.

Today shimano uses 2 different drag greases. The question is how would an end user know which drag grease goes in which reel?

Reel manufacturers know end users often work on their own reels. So manufacturers are making it more difficult and even self destructive for end users to do so.

Heck, even for warranty repair shops they don't want us servicing certain reels until factory reps come to our shop to train us. This goes for daiwa and shimano.

The Rooster

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »

Read a long time ago that hot sauce is not compatible with other lubes and once used you have to continue with it or the parts have to be deep cleaned with special chemicals to remove it before other lubes can be used again. A guy on another site who did reel repairs (think he has passed away now) used to hate it. Said he had tanks hed soak parts in and the stuff would turn his solution red and hed have to drain and change it once done. That aspect of the lube along with the designs (mostly looks) of Quantum reels is what makes me avoid them. Clearly they are a successful company so they must have something right, and KVD is making a career out of using them. I just dont care for the reels and it is mostly because of that lubricant (and ugly spinning reels, LOL! Handles look like theyre made from an erector set).

I am already using Super Lube grease for gears. Didnt know there was an oil. The grease has been fantastic and was recommended to me by Pro Reel years ago on another site.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »

I've not only switched from hot sauce to a different lube without any special preparation, but I've currently got a small dropper bottle that has a mix of Hot Sauce and Zoom Spout. That was just an experiment. Works just fine, but I've found no added benefit to mixing the two.
I'd mixed them to see if by some chance the Hot Sauce would make the Zoom Spout paraffin based lube separate.

Ballistol flushes out old Hot Sauce by the way.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 24 queries.