HDS Time issue

Started by Mike Cork, October 23, 2018, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

I have two HDS 9 Gen 2's all the sudden today both stopped displaying time. I just get three dashes. All other functions are fine. I've tried all I can think of. I've even deleted the overlay and put it back. Nothing. I've went back in and verified the networking and all is correct.

Thoughts?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Wizard

Sounds dumb but did you try to reset the clock?

Wizard

Mike Cork

I reset the whole unit, not sure how to reset the clock. But after a hard reset it still fails.

Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

There should be a way to set the clock; my Elite units have that capability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

I'm very familiar with how to set the clock on the Lowrance units. In fact, I can change it to UTC time and it will show up in my overlay but that's 7 hours off of my current time. I tried setting it to UTC and then going and adjusting my offset but it doesn't affect UTC time.

The overlay is there, the time is set but it just won't show it. What really throws me for a loop is that both of them have the problem at the exact same time.

I've now gone as far as reset to factory settings and performed the latest update which was five years old and only affected things like autopilot. Still three dashes and no time. It's like the satellite that is supposed to give it the time isn't there.

Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

I guess you'll have to contact the manufacturer

Mike Cork

Yeah I guess so. I can see all the satellites connected but it shows a UTC time and a year of 2099. I don't get it. For years nothing and then BAM something like this  ~b~

It still bugs me that it's something simple, two units don't end up with the same problem at the same time and it not be some setting I inadvertently screwed up.

Cork's Reel Service

WTodd

Agree that both doing it at the same is high on the weird meter but since they're wired together shouldn't it happen like that?

fishin couillon

Did you lose your GPS reception???  Time comes from the GPS.....when you lost the time did you look at your satellite page??

Just an FYI, another fishing board i'm on has a bunch of guys with the same issue, most seem to be on the Gen 2 units.....dont think its anything with the unit but more of a gps satellite in the sky.....someone mentioned that they called Lowrance and they said the government is working on satellite(s) and wouldnt be till end of Oct.  beginning of Nov. before units will display time.....

Take it for what's its worth but i also dont think all these time issues would self destruct at the same time either so it sounds legit that the satellites above our heads are getting worked on or having issues.....

Mike Cork

I checked the satellites and it shows all them there, one bounces in and out. Interesting that I'm not the only one having an issue. I'll have to get some Lowrance guys local to me to check their units.

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

BTW thank you everyone for your inputs.

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

After some more research, I'm not the only one. The word that Lowrance is putting out is that it's the Air Force's fault. I have a buddy that "could" know and he could not confirm nor deny ~b~

But he did say that GPS is very good and with drones being able to land in a specific square inch, "wouldn't it be a good idea to have the ability to screw with GPS to thwart a terrorist cell, a foreign country, or a rouge American pissed off at the government."

So maybe Lowrance is correct, the Air Force is playing with things. Now the only issue is, it appears to be older HDS units that are having a problem. So will Lowrance have to provide an update or will it all go back to normal after the "Air Force" is complete? I did read where a guy was having trouble with the Point 1 as well so it might be more than just the HDS.

Cork's Reel Service

Burbarry

I think I set the time of mine on the SD card when making a few changes. I had to change the time zone as the guy I got the boat from lived in Florida. But I'm still learning these my self so could be something else.

Burbarry

Also these are gen3 models so might be different and not effected by the issues of gen 2.

Mike Cork

I just happen to run into another guy that used to be "in the know" he said long story short. If an adversary took out our satellites our current fighting force would be lost because they've relied on it for so long. So there are some self-induced problems being played with. These will affect a variety of equipment and different technology ages. Military issues are not supposed to cross over to the civilian world but sometimes they do...

I'm sure if I keep digging I can come up with a lot more conspiracy theories. Two is enough for now, both make sense  :surrender:

Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 23, 2018, 04:57:47 PM
Yeah I guess so. I can see all the satellites connected but it shows a UTC time and a year of 2099. I don't get it. For years nothing and then BAM something like this  ~b~

It still bugs me that it's something simple, two units don't end up with the same problem at the same time and it not be some setting I inadvertently screwed up.

Mike, ran across that yesterday too.  last weekend all was fine.  yesterday the console unit stopped displaying time.  the bow unit was still fine.

was going to just run the latest update (v6.0) and see how it goes.

interesting.

two HDS 7 gen2 touch units.  the bow unit works off the internal 'receiver'.  I have the console unit tied to the 'puck'.  only difference i can see.

Oh, and drawing conclusions (conspiracy):  lately my phone GPS (google maps) has really been acting up.  intermittent, no signal.  hmmm.

Mike Cork

Both of mine are still in-op as of this weekend. I'm going to give it until the first week of November like Lowrance asked but then I will expect them to build a patch and fix it. I've done some research, there are a ton of folks having problems, it's definitely not isolated. If you have a Gen 2 Touch you're almost guaranteed to have a problem. Once we all start complaining an update will show up.  ~rant

I'm starting to think the real conspiracy is that Lowrance is trying to buy time so they can build the fix for a change in the satellite's software.

Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

MIke,
you know I'm a really die-hard Lowrance guy.  I'll stay the course until I decide I need/want upgrades, then I'm switching to Johnson, Humminbird.

I prefer the lowrance units, technology.  I just chafe over how the customer service/focus has changed from way back when they used to reside in Tulsa.

ths doesn't help.

Mike Cork

I'm with you, I've fished Lowrance since paper graphs. I've always love the units and the service but as you said the service has changed.

I cracked the screen on one of my HDS 9's a while back. Being a touch screen it's useless with a crack. I called Lowrance and it was just out of warranty. Not that warranty mattered as it was my fault and I was prepared to pay for it.

While they have plenty of screens to fix it with, they won't. The tech said since it's out of warranty they won't fix it. I repeated that it wasn't a warranty issue and I just wanted to send it to them to fix. He repeated, it's too old, buy a new one.

Don't want to turn this into a bash thread. We'll see if the Air Force turns things back on or not.  ::)

Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: coldfront on October 29, 2018, 09:18:22 AM
Mike, ran across that yesterday too.  last weekend all was fine.  yesterday the console unit stopped displaying time.  the bow unit was still fine.

was going to just run the latest update (v6.0) and see how it goes.

interesting.

two HDS 7 gen2 touch units.  the bow unit works off the internal 'receiver'.  I have the console unit tied to the 'puck'.  only difference i can see.

Oh, and drawing conclusions (conspiracy):  lately my phone GPS (google maps) has really been acting up.  intermittent, no signal.  hmmm.
Sorry no intention to hijack the thread but no conspiracy on the Google Maps. When my truck broke down at the beginning of the month I called roadside assistance and they said they had my location from the gps in my phone and could see it on Google Maps. Said they'd be there in 30 - 45 minutes. About 45 minutes later I got a call from the driver asking me to verify the street name and address. When I told him he said he was on the right street but the numbers didn't go up that high. I verified the address again and this time I mentioned the city (Quincy). He said I'm in Newton - about 20 miles away!!! When I asked him why he said according to dispatch that's what the gps on Google Maps read from my phone. When I looked at my phone settings the gps was correct but when I opened Google Maps sure enough it had me in the wrong city.

I've had the problem off and on since then.  Maybe problems with the satellites themselves?

IDK but I just thought I'd let you know you weren't the only one with the Google issue either.

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Bassinkorea

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 29, 2018, 11:02:46 AM
If you have a Gen 2 Touch you're almost guaranteed to have a problem. Once we all start complaining an update will show up.  ~rant

I have two Gen 2 touch units (9 & 12). I should be on the water this weekend, so I will look and see if we are also affected on this side of the globe.
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

oldjim

Went out and cheked my Hellix 9, no problems. Gps ok time ok
oldjim

coldfront

Quote from: Bassinkorea on October 29, 2018, 07:18:01 PM
I have two Gen 2 touch units (9 & 12). I should be on the water this weekend, so I will look and see if we are also affected on this side of the globe.

think it all works except the time function.  I was doing some mapping.  GPS looks just fine.

coldfront

any updates on time issue?  neither of my gen2 touches are 'right'.

just talked to Lowrance Tech Support/Customer.  no timelines for fix. 

what I'm wondering:  Garmin, Johnson (US companies) don't see to have issue.  is there possibly something with foreign ownership of Lowrance at play? 

Mike Cork

A very interesting thought and with our current administration pissing on folks...

Mine still don't work.

Lowrance users as a whole are not seeing the problem. Apparently it's only with the HDS units and only older HDS units at that.

Cork's Reel Service