This state is the best kept secret in bass fishing!

Started by Steve81, January 12, 2022, 01:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve81

I know that this section hasn't seen much action in quite some time but I just wanted to say how incredible the fishing is in South Dakota. It hasn't mattered if I was chasing largemouth on Big Stone, smallies on Oahe, both on Angostura, or anything in between, the fishing has always been phenomenal!

Now that that's out of the way, I wanted to let you guys know that I have volunteered to help out with some moderation aspects on UB and this section is one of those. While I don't live anywhere close to SD anymore, I am still friends with a lot of anglers there and I know you guys are always fishing your tails off. My hope is that you guys could find the time to post some fishing reports here. I understand that this is technically a bass fishing forum and it is ice fishing season in SD but I would happily take some ice fishing reports! Regardless if the report is from ice season or open water, you are welcome to be as specific or vague as you feel comfortable.

coldfront

great!  I've had the opportunity to fish SD a few times.  Oahe for walleye (painful painful painful just dragging bottom bouncers around...) and some time around Roy Lake/Clear Lake chasing largemouth, smallies and PIKE...  only had a few of those pesky walleyes jump on our baits.
if you've never had the opportunity to fish SD for bass... it should be considered a bucket list opportunity.  and be sure to look past, outside of Francis Case and Oahe lakes.
only place i've ever seen a 19" LMB go 6 pounds... 

Steve81

Quote from: coldfront on January 12, 2022, 07:33:27 AM
great!  I've had the opportunity to fish SD a few times.  Oahe for walleye (painful painful painful just dragging bottom bouncers around...) and some time around Roy Lake/Clear Lake chasing largemouth, smallies and PIKE...  only had a few of those pesky walleyes jump on our baits.
if you've never had the opportunity to fish SD for bass... it should be considered a bucket list opportunity.  and be sure to look past, outside of Francis Case and Oahe lakes.
only place i've ever seen a 19" LMB go 6 pounds...

Right? Those bass are built like tanks in that place! When I lived in North Dakota, our bass club would travel down to SD for a weekend. We would fish one day on Oahe then the next day on this tiny lake called Pudwell Dam. This lake was nothing more than a big farm pond but it was a public lake and had a boat ramp. It was also a largemouth lake. Ton of cover in the form of different types of vegetation (reeds, milfoil, pondweed, etc.,) and also had a lot of pike. However, the bass were all quality. It seemed like every bass there weighed at least 3 pounds.