First thing you throw?

Started by Bankbeater56, October 28, 2018, 03:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankbeater56

Question, you get to a new pond our lake what are you looking for and what's the first thing you throw? Now I understand time of day plays a big factor in that decision but I'm wondering what is your thought process on finding fish?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTodd

I want to know how aggressive the fish are so I'll throw something like a buzz bait....something that moves fairly quick.

zippyduck

Weedy:  Frog
Sparse weeds: spinnerbait
No weeds; whopper plopper
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

BrandonK

Noisy topwater

weightless Texas rig or 1/8 oz finesse jig to shallow cover

Smallie_Stalker

You're really asking two questions here and the second one might depend on the answer to the first. All other things being considered like weather and sky conditions, temp etc...................

So, question 1 - What do you look for:

I look for several things. First I look for any signs of visible cover. Next I look to see if there are any other forms of wildlife active in or out of the water. Then I look at water color.

Question 2 - What do you throw first - If there is visible cover present I will throw either a crankbait or a jig depending on the type and location  of the cover. I choose the color based on the water color from step one. I prefer the crank if I can get away with it and it helps me cover water to gauge if the fish are active ( this is also aided by whether any other animal life is active in the area from question one).

If there is no visible cover present The crank will again get my first nod for the reason stated above. If that doesn't produce then I will throw something like a jig or a Carolina rig to tell me what kind of cover/structure might be there that I can't see and to get an idea of depth changes etc.

At that point I will know how the bottom is laid out and what's down there and I can make a decision on how to go from there.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

merc1997

way back in my pond fishing days and because i did not have money for only a couple of lures, i caught many bass on a doll fly either by itself or a small piece of red worm added.  it caught many bass out of the pond and it fit my pocket book.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

D.W. Verts

GOOD STUFF BO!

My FIRST thing on a pond is water clarity, every time, no matter what. #2 is water temps (season). I then factor all these other great tips in and go from there.

If I was told that I only could pick ONE bait to start with no matter the conditions it'd probably be a spinnerbait.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Bankbeater56

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 28, 2018, 06:22:28 PM
You're really asking two questions here and the second one might depend on the answer to the first. All other things being considered like weather and sky conditions, temp etc...................

So, question 1 - What do you look for:

I look for several things. First I look for any signs of visible cover. Next I look to see if there are any other forms of wildlife active in or out of the water. Then I look at water color.

Question 2 - What do you throw first - If there is visible cover present I will throw either a crankbait or a jig depending on the type and location  of the cover. I choose the color based on the water color from step one. I prefer the crank if I can get away with it and it helps me cover water to gauge if the fish are active ( this is also aided by whether any other animal life is active in the area from question one).

If there is no visible cover present The crank will again get my first nod for the reason stated above. If that doesn't produce then I will throw something like a jig or a Carolina rig to tell me what kind of cover/structure might be there that I can't see and to get an idea of depth changes etc.

At that point I will know how the bottom is laid out and what's down there and I can make a decision on how to go from there.  :-*

the_huber_show

Here lately for me it's been a chatter bait.  But honestly it normally depends on what is already tied on from the last trip :)
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Capt. BassinLou

Assuming the conditions are ideal, I will first go look for shallow water with good amount of cover, above and below the water. My top 4 baits for this scenario would be: frog, Uvibes, Spinnerbaits, and/or a swimjig with a swimbait trailer.

SteveTX

My order of baits is based on what I am presented with. If only allowed one choice to start my bait probably would be a jig. Just to versatile not to. I can have a enormous amount of presentations with the one bait.

redux

I'll pitch a jig with a creature bait around first and then I'll use it as a swim jig.
You can't win of you're not in.

V1hyp

I'm a sucker for top water. I usually always start off with a Buzz Bait for most of the year...

SFL BassHunter

I'll usually start with a topwater lure. THen work my way down the water column. All 4 feet of the water column lol  ~bb
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing