Extremely happy Dobyns Customer!

Started by CybrSlydr, November 02, 2018, 10:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CybrSlydr

As you all know, I've been on here asking everyone about what rod I should get and all that.  Well, I finally made the decision and called them up and utilized their upgrade policy to send me a DC 734C F/H.

I very nearly took the opportunity to go all-in and upgrade to a Champion Extreme rod but I decided to take the money I'd have spent on the rod and buy some line and a couple lures instead.  Budget dictated I could have either the rod and no line/lures or take the lower-tier rod and get the line/lures.

For those who didn't see my other thread, I was upgrading a Sierra 692 spinning rod that I broke the tip on.  I went to a "local" retailer of Dobyns rods that participates in their replacement policy and paid the replacement fee and got a new 692.

Well, I wanted to side-grade to a baitcasting rod as I got a Curado DC.  So I e-mailed back and forth with Jon at Dobyns and eventually mailed in the replacement rod and received credit towards the upgrade to the DC 734.  I had them overnight it so I could get it out and fish with it on Saturday since I'm going to the Columbus Crew playoff game on Sunday.

The rod arrived in what can only be described as bomb-proof shipping.  Strong cardboard tube with endcaps securely stapled in place and a handy "Open This End" sticker.  Taking the rod out of the tube showed it was secured in a plastic sleeve and had almost all of the guides wrapped over the sleeve in bubblewrap.  Honestly, short of running over it with a truck (which I've seen happen with packages), you couldn't possibly damage the rod.

When I got to looking at the rod, I realized just how damn BIG a 7'3" rod really is!  lol  The Cherrywood HD I'm using is 6'6" and the old spinning rod was 6'9".  But man, is this rod a beauty!

The labeling is in blue, which I absolutely love (it's my favorite color) and it compliments the black and graphite color of the rod extremely well.  The cork on the full-grip is excellent (which makes me wonder how the DX and Xtasy rods could have a better cork when this stuff is soooooo nice), the reel seat is rock solid, the guides are straight as an arrow...

Folks, this ChampionXP rod is an absolute beauty!  I thought I'd hit it out of the park when I bought the Sierra as it was, until now, the nicest rod I'd owned.  This ChampionXP is clearly another step above - which as I said with the cork I'm not sure how there could be two levels above the ChampionXP when the ChampionXP is so spectacular!

Huge thanks to the nice lady I spoke with on the phone, to Jon and the Dobyns company for customer service second-to-none and an absolutely stellar product. 

I can't wait to take it fishing tomorrow!

Jordan

FLO GROWN

Awesome!!!I own a few fury and I love them I can't imagine how nice the champion series is!Enjoy!!!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Capt. BassinLou

Champions are awesome rods, enjoy your new stick.

Smallie_Stalker

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Awesome. Glad you like the way it looks it should fish equally as well.  ~c~

SFL BassHunter

You went with the right rod ! ChampionXP 734C is fantastic! It is the most versatile rod you'll ever own.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Dink Dawg

That's fantastic. I truly believe Gary get's more satisfaction from responses like yours than just about anything. The Champion is still the flagship series and Gary designed and has these rods built to his EXACT specifications. It's what he fishes.

The side benefit is you have a base line for knowing power and action of the 733 and 735 XP's. You, or anyone can order a model up or down and know with confidence how that rod will feel and perform.  The 734 in any series is a winner. I have two Savvys and two Champion 734C models. Thanks for sharing !

Mike Cork

The Champion 734C was the first Dobyns Rod I purchased and I was just as impressed as you are. I own many Dobyns Rods now and 3 of them are the Champion 734C it's just that versatile.

As Dick Dawg said, the Champion XP series is Gary's Flagship rod and the rod you'll see on his boat deck when he's on the water.

Again Congratulations and thank you for the follow-up, Gary will love it.  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

the_huber_show

I love my Fury! 

I am hoping to get a Champion next year
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

CybrSlydr

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 05, 2018, 11:02:49 AM
The Champion 734C was the first Dobyns Rod I purchased and I was just as impressed as you are. I own many Dobyns Rods now and 3 of them are the Champion 734C it's just that versatile.

As Dick Dawg said, the Champion XP series is Gary's Flagship rod and the rod you'll see on his boat deck when he's on the water.

Again Congratulations and thank you for the follow-up, Gary will love it.  ~c~

I'm pretty sure that my next rod purchase will be a ChampXP spinning rod in the 1/8oz range for my Neds and other lightweight tackle. 

Thanks for the responses everyone - I did read them all and appreciate them!  I just wish the forum had the ability to "like" posts so you knew it was read without having to inflate my post count.  :)
Jordan

Gary Dobyns

Thank you very much for the kind words and great response. I personally fish about 90% Champs myself. This series just fits me for what I like to do. The Champion Series will always be the "backbone" of the company. The 734C is always a top seller because of the versatility of the rod. The Champ 734, 735, and 736 are all personal favorites. Please remember the 735 and 736C Champs are faster than the 733 and 734 Champs. The 736C is a beast and still my favorite rod of all time.

THX again, much appreciated.