Just a friendly reminder to clean your reels

Started by LgMouthGambler, November 06, 2018, 07:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Just when you think they are clean, that little bit of grime can help down the road. A nook and cranny clean can help to keep from really getting out of control.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

But then I just decided to go all out since the wife and kid were out. Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Yep... several of my reels are up for their yearly spa treatment soon. Good reminder.

the_huber_show

Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

SteelHorseCowboy

I want to get an ultrasonic cleaner. Some of these parts start getting tiresome to use q-tips and makeup brushes on.

I'm still running that Revo with factory lube. Swore I'd never do that again after finding crusty gunk in the cheapo Lew's spinning reel, but it's performing quite nicely.

LMG, do you know what size spool bearings are in the Revo X? They've quieted down and smoothed out a LOT, but I may still upgrade them.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on November 06, 2018, 09:33:22 AM
I want to get an ultrasonic cleaner. Some of these parts start getting tiresome to use q-tips and makeup brushes on.

I'm still running that Revo with factory lube. Swore I'd never do that again after finding crusty gunk in the cheapo Lew's spinning reel, but it's performing quite nicely.

LMG, do you know what size spool bearings are in the Revo X? They've quieted down and smoothed out a LOT, but I may still upgrade them.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

3x10x4, 5x11x4

Lee Smith

I got this guy in Florida that does mine, he's an a$$ but damn good at them there reel cleanin' thangs, problem is, none of mine have been on the water since I got them back last time  :'(  :'(  ~xyz
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SteelHorseCowboy

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Lee Smith on November 06, 2018, 10:24:50 AM
I got this guy in Florida that does mine, he's an a$$ but damn good at them there reel cleanin' thangs, problem is, none of mine have been on the water since I got them back last time  :'(  :'(  ~xyz

Yeah, something needs to be done bout that.  8)

Mike Cork

You know what they say about the mechanic's car is always broke... my reels always need work LOL Gotta wait for the weather to turn really cold and I'll tear them down.

But Lgmouthgambler's advice is solid and will save everyone money on parts and heartbreak on lost fish due to a malfunctioning reel.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on November 06, 2018, 09:33:22 AM
I agree 100%! I clean my own but I think it would be a better cleaning and easier with a cleaner. I already hinted to my daughter I would like to have one for Christmas.  ;D

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 06, 2018, 05:00:29 PM
You know what they say about the mechanic's car is always broke... my reels always need work LOL Gotta wait for the weather to turn really cold and I'll tear them down.

But Lgmouthgambler's advice is solid and will save everyone money on parts and heartbreak on lost fish due to a malfunctioning reel.
I cant attest to that. My S10 runs top, and so my reels. Haha! Love you brother.

<")))>{

Mike Cork

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 06, 2018, 07:33:30 PM
I cant attest to that. My S10 runs top, and so my reels. Haha! Love you brother.

<")))>{

And you have a young one at home... Don't know how you find the time. After I clean 50 reels a week, the last thing I feel like doing is working on my  :'(

Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 07, 2018, 12:44:51 PM
And you have a young one at home... Don't know how you find the time. After I clean 50 reels a week, the last thing I feel like doing is working on my  :'(

I know how you feel, after working on computers and servers all week long the last thing I want is a problem with my home PC. I've gone weeks with a messed up computer. lol
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 07, 2018, 12:44:51 PM

I pour a glass of bourbon, and get to it. Usually once the kid is asleep around 8pm.  lo

I also dont clean 50 reels a week. I have to limit my amount of reels to still keep my free time for my family. I just make sure my clients are spread around the year.

Mike Cork

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on November 07, 2018, 03:11:25 PM
I pour a glass of bourbon, and get to it. Usually once the kid is asleep around 8pm.  lo

I also dont clean 50 reels a week. I have to limit my amount of reels to still keep my free time for my family. I just make sure my clients are spread around the year.

I started this way but never could tell anyone NO, then it became a business. I hung it all up a few years ago but wound up right back in it.

Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

It's great advice, even though most of mine haven't been used since they were gone through last they'll still get the treatment this winter. SHC, Harbor Freight has one that is highly recommended. For those of you that don't do your own mike, LMG and PRO Reel all do excellent work at a fair price, check them out. If you have any questions post them you'll receive timely answers and good advice.
Rodney     
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cbburke

Thanks for the reminder - I tend to do it on the first "SNOW DAY".
That means I dont have to go to work and I get paid for it :)
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

YoTone

would you ever do a tutorial on how to clean and re lube  a reel? like which parts to pay extra attention to and which grease and oil to use?
Native Slayer 10

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: YoTone on November 13, 2018, 01:23:32 PM
would you ever do a tutorial on how to clean and re lube  a reel? like which parts to pay extra attention to and which grease and oil to use?

If you look at some of my threads, there are pictures that may help. Otherwise, I dont give away my "processes" of what I do, or what I use. There are YouTube videos out there that may help you as well if need be. I can tell you, hard parts get grease at friction points, and bearings get oil. Please dont take this the wrong way. You are more than welcome to contact myself or Mike Cork if you need someone to do it for you.

YoTone

totally understandable that youre not giving away your hard earned tricks of your trade.  i didnt even think first before i thought about asking.
Native Slayer 10