Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me pick a reel for a swimbait rod  (Read 314 times)

Dangerfield

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Help me pick a reel for a swimbait rod
« on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »

My fishing season is over and I've already started making a list for some off season purchases. I came to you guys and gals last year looking for help on a selecting a quality multipurpose rod - I ended up with a Fury 735, wish it was a 734 but I digress and to be honest it worked out great.

I'm pretty much set on a Fury 795 or 806, the plan is to purchase mainly treble hook baits but I would be lying if I didn't have the urge to get into the 7.8" keitech or a weedless 68 special. On the treble bait side, I'll start out with the usual suspects, Gantarel jr, Gantia, DowzSwimmer, BBZ-1 6", LC Real Blue Gill, Mini MS Slammer and S-waver 200 - maxing out around 4oz. My brother has the 795 (w calcutta 400b) and I think I'd rather go upto the 806 for 1 not to limit my future purchases and 2 know for certain I can cast bigger baits then him. Presentation is key when there's more than 2 on the boat ;D

The swimbait community is all over round reels for the line capacity while the glidebait following is all in on speed to retrieve slack line. I'm kind of set in the middle but I want some opinions. From a round reel perspective, I don't have many options, it's either the 400B, 200D or if I get lucky on an auction site I'm sure I can get a Luna 300, although I would prefer the smaller 253. I don't have big hands, so palming the round reels is cumbersome but doable - I've used my brother's set up a few times. I think the low pro side offers the best of both worlds, I can get a 6.3.1 reel with line capacity such as the Tatula Type HD (old frame), the new Tatula 150/200, Coastal TWS and a few older Zillions (j-dream, 100h) that would require a drag upgrade, a bit of tuning. I really like the new Zillion platform but buying one pretty much eats up my rod and reels budget for this new rig. I'll likely spool up with 25lb+ mono or fluoro, like Sunline 25 lb Armillo Diefer Nylon Mono, YZ Hybrid or FC assassin or sniper.

I learned (and prefer) to baitcast using magforce, but I have had time with other baitcasters revo sx, calcutta and curado K. If I go the lowpro route, should I factor in tuning?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Help me pick a reel for a swimbait rod
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »

Tatula HD if you want LP. Nothing beats the Calcuttas and Conquests in the round reel dept IMO.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

the_huber_show

• Charter Member
  • The Skunk Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »

Line capacity go with a Lews Super Duty 300
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Dangerfield

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

Tatula HD if you want LP. Nothing beats the Calcuttas and Conquests in the round reel dept IMO.

<")))>{

What's LP? Would you happen to know if these new Tatula 150/200 that Daiwa released just redesigns of the original Tatula frame with deeper spools?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »

What's LP? Would you happen to know if these new Tatula 150/200 that Daiwa released just redesigns of the original Tatula frame with deeper spools?

LP=Low Profile

Yes, they are usually just a spool and handle selection on the OG Tatulas.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Dangerfield

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »

LP=Low Profile

Yes, they are usually just a spool and handle selection on the OG Tatulas.

Thanks! Any tuning you would recommend for the Type HD? Carbontex drag?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:23:22 AM »

Thanks! Any tuning you would recommend for the Type HD? Carbontex drag?

Drag stack is pretty stout in that reel as is. Unless its worn out, I would not change it. Maybe a good set of spool bearings to aid in ease of casting. If you want to smooth the reel out, change out the bushings for bearings where applicable,

Dangerfield

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »

Drag stack is pretty stout in that reel as is. Unless its worn out, I would not change it. Maybe a good set of spool bearings to aid in ease of casting. If you want to smooth the reel out, change out the bushings for bearings where applicable,

What's the main difference between the Type HD and the 200? The Type HD is becoming quite difficult to find on the auction site but there's an abidance of the new model. If they're both on the same frame, I imagine with slightly different spools, is one Mag-force and the other Mag-force Z?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »

Spool, handle assembly most likely. Im not sure on all the specs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 24 queries.