Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerkbait mono vs floro winter months  (Read 260 times)

apburninup

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Jerkbait mono vs floro winter months
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »

Does anyone go to mono in the colder months to help the bait suspend a little more. Was thinking about taking all the floro off my reel to try it but wanted to here some feedback on it before I did so.

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
Re: Jerkbait mono vs floro winter months
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »

I use Mono, 8 or 10 lb. Maxima.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »

Welcome to the site!!! Good to have you here!!! Pull up a chair, pop a cold one, open a can of cashews and peruse the site, there's a lot here. Ask questions and when you wish post some answers and let us know what works for you. Don't forget to enter the New Members Contest, you could win a really nice prize.
I don't use flouro much, basically as a leader for dropshot.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:21:55 AM »

I would leave the floro on.  It's more sensitive than mono, has less stretch and I doubt if it weighs enough to make the jerk bait sink.

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:29:03 AM »

I use AN40 mono. It is made for cold weather and is more flexible than regular mono. It was originally called Bagley's Silver Thread AN40. I bought all my mono in 3-6 thousand foot spools.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 03:34:57 PM »

Help me out here- I'm an old guy who hasn't use these new lines... So, Fluorocarbon sinks. I understand where this could help, especially in maybe getting a jerkbait deeper. However, my question would be does it sink enough to pull the nose of the jerkbait down during a long pause (like most of us fish one in colder water)???

Dying shad (and Bream, etc.) struggle with their noses UP. I've always weighted my stickbaits to do the same thing. So if a sinking line would pull the bait down to even LEVEL, then it's too much for me.

Sensitivity means dick when jerkbait fishin'. Line stretch almost the same (if you know how to keep your hooks sharp anyway).

I am gettin' old enough that being set in my ways may become a hindrance. But I'm willing to be convinced.

And Wizard's old AN40 was THE jerkbait line in the day. I didn't know that it still existed.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »

I like Fluoro for my jerkbaits. Fluoro does weigh enough to effect the nose of bait. An easy visual example is to tie a popper to Fluoro and see how hard it is to make it spit. The weigh of the line keeps the nose of the popper to low to let it work effectively.

Back to jerkbaits, I like Fluoro mostly because it seems to have less stretch than mono. I like some stretch because we are dealing with treble hooks, however I also have a lot of grass and working a bait just over the grass, sometimes ticking it, the fluoro seems to help the bait rip out of the grass easier. I know there are test out there that say Fluoro and Mono stretch about the same. However in the lines I use the Fluoro seems to stretch a little bit less than mono.

I never really thought about the Fluoro effecting the posturing of the bait but it does. I always thought it was my snaps but in a DUH moment... I use the same snap with both lines.

Another issue with Fluoro, less quality Fluoro lines have bad memory. This memory will cause the bait to drift toward you when at rest. So the bait really isn't sitting still as long as you think it is, plus it's putting slack in the line as it moves toward you. So make sure you're using a quality Fluoro.

All this is not to say that mono isn't a good way to go. I would suggest saving money and leaving your Fluoro on unless you see some of the problems mentioned. It's not really going to cause your bait to fall when you are trying to let it suspend. Fluoro will let your bait get a foot or two deeper on a long cast.

Anyway, I'm rambling with info overload.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »

Help me out here- I'm an old guy who hasn't use these new lines... So, Fluorocarbon sinks. I understand where this could help, especially in maybe getting a jerkbait deeper. However, my question would be does it sink enough to pull the nose of the jerkbait down during a long pause (like most of us fish one in colder water)???

Dying shad (and Bream, etc.) struggle with their noses UP. I've always weighted my stickbaits to do the same thing. So if a sinking line would pull the bait down to even LEVEL, then it's too much for me.

Sensitivity means dick when jerkbait fishin'. Line stretch almost the same (if you know how to keep your hooks sharp anyway).

I am gettin' old enough that being set in my ways may become a hindrance. But I'm willing to be convinced.

And Wizard's old AN40 was THE jerkbait line in the day. I didn't know that it still existed.
you just gave the clue as to why the holy rogue still slaughters them.

bo

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »

i have actually been doing a side by side using braid and mono on jerk baits.  so far, i like the braid better.  you feel the bite better, and the hooks go in better.  just as with crank baits, i have not had an issue with tearing out hooks.  i am using a 7' medium rod.  when working the jerk biat, it takes way less effort into the twitching phase because of the no stretch.  the same can be said when using braid on spoons and you are fishing 50 ft. plus.  you are fighting strecth with both floro and mono every time you move the spoon.  i get along very well with 10 to 20 pound braid.

bo

Stren_g

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »

i have actually been doing a side by side using braid and mono on jerk baits.  so far, i like the braid better.  you feel the bite better, and the hooks go in better.  just as with crank baits, i have not had an issue with tearing out hooks.  i am using a 7' medium rod.  when working the jerk biat, it takes way less effort into the twitching phase because of the no stretch.  the same can be said when using braid on spoons and you are fishing 50 ft. plus.  you are fighting strecth with both floro and mono every time you move the spoon.  i get along very well with 10 to 20 pound braid.

bo

I've had good luck using braid with a leader. I use that on most of everything anymore. I like how it handles. 7' medium rod, 30lb braid and about a 6' 12lb mono leader work like a charm.

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 06:05:41 PM »

bo
Dale

This is why anglers pay attention to bo and Dale. Good information from two standup anglers. Few anglers pay as much attention as Dale when fishing. Dying shad and bream struggle with their noses up. That is worth the price of a club entry fee right there. I know that but would never have thought to mention it. Dale and bo are going to make me think about writing with more detail.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »

And then we confuse the new guys with the details. You know?

Actually, things like this are the very basics to me. But then again, some of us have been doin' this awhile. And there we go, off topic, in a good way, again.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

OkobojiEagle

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »

I prefer suspending jerkbaits fished with braid and nylon leader.  The nylon leader provides good strike detection when floating on the surface.

I've held the belief that a shad's quivering, sinking action was a bass' dinner bell... bring on the Senko.

oe

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 04:11:52 AM »

While I use a lot of Braid, there are rods I have that are filled with Floro and Mono.

I use Mono for Topwater and for baits like a Jerkbait. In particular I use Berkley Big Game in 12 lb test, although I have used a low as 8 lb test if the water was super clear and cold.

Some years back Mono got a bad rap as the new Super Lines came out, yet millions if not Billions or more of fish have been caught over the years with Mono. Does it stretch, yes it does. However there have been lots of tests done that show in some cases it doesn't stretch as much as once believed and some do less than a similar Floro.

After all it is not like pulling a fish from deep within a Hydrilla Mat, as most often a Jerkbait is fished in ore open water or on the edge of grass.

That being all said, there is nothing wrong with trying the line you now have on. If your catching fish then it's working and all you need.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »

If you use floro on suspending jerkbaits it may pull the nose down as Dale and Wizard said, the cure for that to weight the back of the bait, using larger hooks, adding a touch of lead tape or Suspend dots but doing that will change the sink rate and instead of suspending may sink, very slowly but heading down instead of up. The reason I don't use braid is because I've had it foul the hooks if I do use it it's with a mono leader.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 23 queries.