Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOOK2 - 9" Fishfinder/Chartplotter w/Splitshot Transducer? (Down Imaging)  (Read 178 times)

bobsquatch13

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass

I have this new unit coming in as just bought (excellent price I think?) I realize more or less obsolete but I am in mid 70's with serious very expensive health problems and looking for "cheap" and simple as just don't get out to fish like I'm used to anymore. My 2001 Bass Cat Pantera III got few month's ago had Pinpoint 5" bow & console and I could not get either to work right. Removed the bow as main concern at the moment and bought the Lowrance Hook2 but it has transom mount transducer which I want to run down the trolling motor shaft to install - does anyone know what "adapter kit" is needed for that? Trolling motor is new MK Fortrex 80# no US2 sonar. I also don't want to mount on its bracket directly in the foot pedal recessed area, would like to get a raised mount to get high enough for my 7 1/2' rod butts to fit under if I can but am seeing those raised mounts going well over $100 and prefer not spending that much. Once I get the bow done and back to fishing in early spring will work on getting something for the console, likely a 7 or 9" tripleshot, maybe. Appreciate any help if possible. Thanks

RDY2GO

• Smallmouth
  • Ready to go fishing!
Re: HOOK2 - 9" Fishfinder/Chartplotter w/Splitshot Transducer? (Down Imaging)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »

I realize it's been a while and you have probably moved on and figured it out by now, but...

My boat came with a Hook 7 in the console, I told the dealer I wanted a matching one on the bow, since I'm new to this I didn't want to worry about learning two different units.  I was more concerned with consistency than bells and whistles, my thought process being that once I figured out how to use them, I would have also learned more about what was available and know more about what I wanted as well.

After telling them this I realized my old eyes would appreciate a larger screen, so I called and asked him to get me a Hook 9.

I pick up the boat and can immediately tell that the units are different, but I just assumed that it was the difference in screen size.  After looking at the box it came in that they gave me I discovered it was a Hook 2 Tripleshot.  Doing more investigating I found that they used a Splitshot transducer on the trolling motor. 

To address your question, it appears that what they used was the mount that came with that transducer which has no 'protection' and is held on with two hose clamps.  I can see where it might could get damaged, but so far I haven't had any problems, however, the boat has only been in the water three times.

To circle back, I did confront the dealer and essentially shamed him into giving me the Tripleshot transducer and have been looking at the various aftermarket trolling motor mounts for it.  I've been told the side imaging won't work well at trolling speeds so I'm hesitant to drop a wad on it only to be dissatisfied with the way it works.  So at this point I am considering a cheap method of mounting it using PVC and clamps in a stationary position on the trolling motor just to see what happens.

What did you end up doing?
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »

Bobsquatch I apologize for missing your question. Thank you RDY2GO for helping out, the next guy may need it.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »

I believe the HOOK was replaced by the HOOK 2, an upgrade in performance. You can side scan at trolling motor speeds and do it pretty well but with all the turning you do it muddies the picture, you need to go in a straight line or turn very slowly, it's why I opted for the Split Shot at the bow. I have the 9 inch and the larger screen really helps old eyes. This coming year I plan on replacing my HDS 7 TOUCH at the console with the HOOK 2 9 inch Triple Shot. I fish mostly grass beds and Triple Shot  or Down Scan don't work in grass, spring and fall I fish shallow, I use the down scan while I'm looking for fish from the bow over humps ot rock piles and places without grass, same with side scan, when I find good cover or fish with side scan I shut down the big motor and head for the bow to check it out.
The Triple Shot transducer is too long to mount on a TM motor, you'll need to find an aftermarket mount, I'd put it at the console. I buy factory refurbished, full warranty and less money. The 11/2 RAM Mount is all you need, it's recommended for 7-9 inch units.
The power and sensitivity are the same as the more expensive units, you have room for only 1 sd card and they can't be linked, for the money I think they're well worth the money for someone not fish big name tournys. The one thing I would strongly recommend is checking out Dr. Sonars site and picking up the DVD he did on these units, it'll shortcut the learning process.
The Split Shot transducer only needs 2 zip ties to mount it to the TM motor, really neat. With the RAM mount and fact the cables plug in instead of screw on it's very easy pull the unit when you're not using it, out of sight away from sticky fingers.
Rodney
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:22:00 AM by Oldfart9999 »
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

RDY2GO

• Smallmouth
  • Ready to go fishing!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »

This is the "test" set up that I was talking about in my post.  I haven't done it yet, this is one that someone over at BBC did and posted about. 

Interestingly enough, I shared this somewhere else having a similar conversation and someone came back saying that the transducer was facing the wrong direction from how it is intended to be mounted so the images would be backwards unless something could be done within the set up of the unit itself.

Based on the blurring images due to swings of the trolling motor, this is interesting in that due to the way it's mounted it stays straight with the bow, so the swings would be less severe.
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

RDY2GO

• Smallmouth
  • Ready to go fishing!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

This is the commercially available Triple shot mount from Russell Marine.  It's mounted "correctly" and is protected from the elements, and is "reasonably" priced.  There is another mount available commercially as well that is seemingly built more robust and offers more protection, but it comes at a price.  More than double that of the Russell.

But with this one you are still dealing with the swings of the trolling motor.
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

RDY2GO

• Smallmouth
  • Ready to go fishing!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:36:50 PM »

In my case, ideally the Triple shot would be mounted on the console I know, but my issue at this point is that in order to do so I'd need to mount the transducer to the back of the hull, and at this point I really like the fact that my Hook 7 one is a thru the hull type.  I'm also not in favor of mounting the smaller 7" screen on the bow, old eyes and all...  That's why I went with the 9" and what started this whole thing.

I'd really like to try the side imaging at the bow, just because and to be able to use it.  I absolutely see myself upgrading electronics in a year or two, so at this point I'd really rather wait and see how I feel and what I gravitate towards once I learn how to use what I have!   :-*
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »

Bobsquatch I apologize for missing your question. Thank you RDY2GO for helping out, the next guy may need it.

Mike, Bob PMd me the same question so I answered him as best as I could that way.
Rodney

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:42 AM »

The second mount would be a better one to use, expensive yes but stronger.
Rodney

RDY2GO

• Smallmouth
  • Ready to go fishing!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »

It's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.  I mean, I've wasted more on less...   ;)  And it's a lot less than the one from Transducer Shield. 

My thoughts on the PVC mount, if I could even make it work on my Fortrex, was just to get the 'ducer in the water in a "controlled" environment and see how the side imaging worked.  Then if it seemed like it might be worthwhile, get one of the commercial mounts.  There are so many conflicting thoughts and opinions on if it will even function at trolling motor speeds that I was just looking for a way to test it out prior to committing to it.
Bruce McCrary
Cotton Grove, NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.