MM35 Alligator Alley

Started by Capt. BassinLou, November 24, 2018, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Joined up with UB FL Member FLOGROWN and fished the Miami Canal with him today. Before I dive into our outing, here were the conditions today:

Temp: Upper 60's
Water Temps: Mid 70's
Skies: Partly Cloudy
Wind from the West 5-10 in the a.m and 10-15 in the p.m.
No Current
Water Clarity: Clear with 6ft visibility
Water levels: Normal for this time of year
Fishing time: 7am - 4pm
Bass boated: 29

I met up with FLOGROWN at the ramp little bit before 7am, and we headed South on the Miami Canal. My goal today, besides fishing of course ;) was to show FLOGROWN the ropes in regards to frog fishing. Basically, how to fish it, where to throw it, and identifying the strike zones, etc.. etc..

It took about 30 minutes for the first bass to strike, but after that the bass showed their hand for the day and it was all about casting into the right cover and working those strike zones. Unfortunately however, those strike zones were TIGHT to cover. Anything outside those strike zones and the cichlids were going to have a field day.

I stuck with the frog the whole day, and FLOGROWN fished with various baits but stuck to his guns and fished the frog the majority of the time. The bass weren't big today but they were really feisty and plump. Despite the heavy presence of gar and cichclids. The bass are feeding well. Spring is going to be crazy out in the Glades this year, I have a good feeling about it.

Day in Perspective: FLOGROWN, it was absolute pleasure fishing with you today. We had our good share of laughs and discussions. Looking forward to fishing with you again in the future.
Although we boated plenty of fish, the bass were sticking to their guns and holding very tight to cover. But if you take your time and break the cover down, there are plenty of bass to be had out there right now.

Thank you for reading. I'm sure FLOWGROWN will share today's experience a bit later on.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if he's sleeping already...   lo lo  ;PEP)

SFL BassHunter

Thats awesome that you were able to meet up with each other! Good to see FloGrown getting some frog action.

Thanks for the report!
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on November 24, 2018, 05:14:10 PM
Thats awesome that you were able to meet up with each other! Good to see FloGrown getting some frog action.

Thanks for the report!
Thanks Rick!!

FLO GROWN

I truly appreciate the invite had great time fishing with you and getting to know as a person. We had alot of great laughs and you got to witness FlOGROWN's legendary hook set lol!You are one hell of a fishermen but a really cool dude to hangout with.I learned a ton of information from you on frog fishing IAM determined to put it all together and become a successful frog fishermen. Great day Lou !Thanks again!!!

PS- heading to holey land in a few hours got the frog rod ready lol!

"Tight lines"

FLO GROWN

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on November 24, 2018, 05:14:10 PM

Thanks for the report!
I didn't get the skunk I got lucky and got one, had a handful I set the hook wrong or pulled it out there mouth,but Lou was killing them!!He can dance that frog like nobody's business and perfect cast,it's gonna take some time for me to put it all together but I'm determined,Lou taught me a lot that I can work on,lethal lure to use here in Florida

"Tight lines"

LgMouthGambler

Yes, learn from him you must. Seek wisdom in him you will.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rchiuz

Nice! Glad you guys found them. Always great to see that top water frog bite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

Canesfan

Glad you got to fish with the Frog Whisperer.

FLO GROWN

Quote from: Canesfan on November 25, 2018, 04:39:49 AM
Glad you got to fish with the Frog Whisperer.
Lol he is the frog whisper no doubt about it had a great time

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
"Tight lines"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FLO GROWN on November 24, 2018, 07:21:07 PM
I didn't get the skunk I got lucky and got one, had a handful I set the hook wrong or pulled it out there mouth,but Lou was killing them!!He can dance that frog like nobody's business and perfect cast,it's gonna take some time for me to put it all together but I'm determined,Lou taught me a lot that I can work on,lethal lure to use here in Florida

Regardless of how many bass you caught, I'm happy that you learned and took with you several valuable tips in regards to frog fishing.  As you experienced and mentioned on another post, the frog is a very versatile bait and as you felt, it's one of the most physical demanding of bass fishing techniques. But as you learned, when the game plan comes together, frogging can be extremely rewarding.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FLO GROWN on November 24, 2018, 06:04:31 PM
I truly appreciate the invite had great time fishing with you and getting to know as a person. We had alot of great laughs and you got to witness FlOGROWN's legendary hook set lol!You are one hell of a fishermen but a really cool dude to hangout with.I learned a ton of information from you on frog fishing IAM determined to put it all together and become a successful frog fishermen. Great day Lou !Thanks again!!!

PS- heading to holey land in a few hours got the frog rod ready lol!

Appreciate the kind words FLOGROWN. If you don't mind I would like to share with the group how our trip came up.

FLOWGROWN, has been in communication with me determined to learn how to frog fish. After a few messages back and forth, I wanted to see how dedicated he really was in learning how to fish the frog, so I proposed a challenge. I suggested on his next outing he take only his frogs and his frog rod with him on the outing, that's it. Doesn't sound like tough challenge right? Think again, especially if you have never frog fished before. ;)

Being a man of his word, FLOWGROWN accepted the challenge and busted his butt for 5-6 hours in applying what he had learned so far leading up to his outing. Long story short, the outing or "challenge" was a humbling experience, but he still caught a bass. We discussed and broke down the outing, and through our conversations I was able to identify key points that he really needed to focus and improve on. At the end of it all, our schedules matched up and we got together and had a frog fishing clinic.  :) We identified what he needed to work and improve on, and I'm confident all of us will be seeing nice bass pics from FLOGROWN in the near future.  ;PEP)

Donald Garner

Congrats on the catching there guys  ~c~  Tks for sharing the trip and pictures with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

j102

Nice! Glad you guys had a good day!

Lipripper

Lou and FLO GROWN thanks for the report and glad y'all were able to get together and do some Frog fishing and if you really want to learn how to fish the frog you went with the right person. ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FlatsNBay

I'm surprised that ole Froggy (Lou) let any frog fish slip by so you can catch one! I've witnessed his vacuum like capabilities first hand. Sounds like a good day.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on November 26, 2018, 06:39:02 PM
I'm surprised that ole Froggy (Lou) let any frog fish slip by so you can catch one! I've witnessed his vacuum like capabilities first hand. Sounds like a good day.
Lol!! Smh...
Thanks Flats! :)

FLO GROWN

Lol he's fast

"Tight lines"

SFL BassHunter

Only way to get some fish is to cast to where he was gonna cast next faster than him. ;)
Lol or you'll go down the entire stretch of canal wondering how he's the only one catching any fish on froggy.

I say that jokingly of course but with a bit of truth. A lot of it really is about placement. Lou knows where to place it.
WWLD? That's the question and the answer to frog fishing successfully.

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FLO GROWN

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on November 27, 2018, 05:45:48 AM
Only way to get some fish is to cast to where he was gonna cast next faster than him. ;)
Lol or you'll go down the entire stretch of canal wondering how he's the only one catching any fish on froggy.

I say that jokingly of course but with a bit of truth. A lot of it really is about placement. Lou knows where to place it.

Lol that's like saying keep up with Eddie van Halen playing guitar not happening lol

"Tight lines"

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on November 27, 2018, 05:45:48 AM

Rick, your froggin skillset has improved leaps and bounds. So much so, that you cast right at or really close where I would cast. I have to fish faster just to keep up with you!!

FLO GROWN

I appreciate him taking the time and showing me how to frog fish and it motivated me to becoming a frog fishermen,that being said  I just enjoyed being out there with him fishing great dude!!!

"Tight lines"

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on November 27, 2018, 05:57:36 AM
Rick, your froggin skillset has improved leaps and bounds. So much so, that you cast right at or really close where I would cast. I have to fish faster just to keep up with you!!

Thanks but trust me you aren't trying to keep up with me lol.

Flogrown yeah the important thing is you had a good time out there!

Florida Bass Fishing

FLO GROWN

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on November 27, 2018, 06:31:51 AM
Thanks but trust me you aren't trying to keep up with me lol.

Flogrown yeah the important thing is you had a good time out there!

Had a great time and learned ton about frogging

"Tight lines"