A Weapon Should Eat

Started by Mike Cork, November 26, 2018, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

Okay guru's, I am curious what ammo you would never buy?

In my opinion, if it says it's a 9 MM round, I should be able to fire it in any 9 MM weapon. Or vice versa.

Thinking zombie apocalypse, I'm scrounging some old warehouse and I find a bunch of ammo, do I pass it up because it says blazer brass on it?

What ammo should I buy on the cheap because I'm killing paper with it at the range? What ammo will tear up your weapon. All kinds of sales on Ammo this Cyber Monday, looking to save some range money.

Keep in mind I do clean my weapons regularly...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FloridaFishinFool

How old is the ammo?

I'd be leary of old ammo.

The problem with being so far South like you and I are, is that we live in much higher humidity, and the gun powder inside can slowly absorb more and more moisture over the years.

If it were me, I'd avoid old ammo.

That said... have you looked on ammograb a website that searches for lowest prices on ammo?

It says this morning...

11¢/rd   500 for $57.50   Wolf 9mm Luger Bulk 115 grain FMJ   
Ammunition Store
"9mm 9x19 Ammo 115gr FMJ Wolf WPA Polyformance 500 Round Case"

12¢/rd   1000 for $121.00   Bulk 9mm Luger 124 grain   
Mass Ammo
"Sasquatch & Blazer Bundle - 9mm 124gr 500 rounds TMJ & 22LR 40gr Lead RN - Flat Rate Shipping!"

12¢/rd   1000 for $129.00   Bulk 9mm Luger 124 grain   
Mass Ammo
"Sasquatch & CCI Bundle - 9mm 124gr 500 rounds TMJ & 22LR 40gr Lead RN - Flat Rate Shipping!"

13¢/rd   500 for $67.50   Wolf 9mm Luger Bulk 115 grain FMJ   
Outdoor Limited
"Wolf 9mm Ammunition Polyformance WPA9FMJ115 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket Case of 500 Rounds"

13¢/rd   50 for $6.75   Wolf 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ   
Outdoor Limited
"Wolf 9mm Ammunition Polyformance WPA9FMJ115 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket 50 Rounds"
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Princeton_Man

Might be easier to answer with what ammo I would buy. CCI, Federal, Barnes, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, American Eagle, Sig Sauer, and IMI are all good.

I stay as far away as possible from Wolf, Fiocchi, TulAmmo, anything Russian. Essentially if it isn't top shelf, I avoid it. I avoid dirty ammo and I avoid steel case ammo. I don't like aluminum ammo either but that has more to do with functionality.

Check out the Remington Black Paks, 500 rounds for $99 and there's a $20 rebate right now.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Stren_g

I keep it simple, paper gets Winchester white box and carry gets Hornady critical defense. I'd be Cautious with old/ found ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_huber_show

Well I know for me it is TulAmmo it's a SUPER dirty steel case out of the box.  I could feed it threw my Glock with no issue but any other weapon it would malfunction at some point.

I really like Federal or CCI Blazers for the price
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

Wizard

I would not use anything that says, 9mm Makarov, Red Star, Red Dragon, Panda or Wolf. All are extremely dirty and some are not smoke less.

Wizard

BrandonK

Quote from: Wizard on November 26, 2018, 02:38:23 PM
I would not use anything that says, 9mm Makarov, Red Star, Red Dragon, Panda or Wolf. All are extremely dirty and some are not smoke less.

Wizard
Agreed 100%

I will add, you get what you pay for

I've never had any issues with any ammo from any of the large, dependable manufacturers in any quality firearm. The Hi-Point I had, well that was another story

SteveTX

My Ruger P95 has ate every brand imaginable and the only stuff I ever really didn't like was the steel cased stuff like TulAmmo. It leaves a very nasty grit residue in your gun. I seem to find the same from other off brand steel cased ammunition. So I avoid steel cased not because it is steel cased but because of the mess most brands in steel seem make.

Ive shot 1000s of Blazer Brass rounds and had no issues I can recall. They have been around quite a while. As has been stated if you stick to a more widely known brand name in brass I think you should be fine.

Also I would suggest since its a paper target and your shopping for "deals" be careful to not end up with some + or ++ rounds. These are really unnecessary and do cause higher than needed pressures in the gun. 

SteelHorseCowboy

I avoid steel cased ammo except in com-bloc weapons designed for it. Everything else gets brass.
That's it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

the_huber_show

Quote from: BrandonK on November 26, 2018, 05:14:44 PM
The Hi-Point I had, well that was another story

Man I have the opposite.  My dad has the Hi-Point 9mm handgun and it's a tank!  When you find the right ammo for it this thing will do some work.  You do have a malfunction every now and again. 

I had the Hi-Point 9mm carbine and that thing was a blast!  It rarely had a malfunction and was fun to shoot.  Wish it had larger magazines for it

BrandonK

Quote from: the_huber_show on November 27, 2018, 08:31:36 AM

Man I have the opposite.  My dad has the Hi-Point 9mm handgun and it's a tank!  When you find the right ammo for it this thing will do some work.  You do have a malfunction every now and again. 

I had the Hi-Point 9mm carbine and that thing was a blast!  It rarely had a malfunction and was fun to shoot.  Wish it had larger magazines for it
Carbine was the problem for me. Would jam up every other round

the_huber_show

Quote from: BrandonK on November 27, 2018, 09:09:19 AM
Carbine was the problem for me. Would jam up every other round

Wow!  I loved mine it was so much fun to shoot

Lee Smith

Don't miss down wind and you want have to worry about 9mm ammo Sir!  ;)  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Captsteve

I buy my my ammo in bulk from Luckygunner.com I think you'll like there prices

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Captsteve on November 27, 2018, 01:35:41 PM
I buy my my ammo in bulk from Luckygunner.com I think you'll like there prices

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
They charge shipping so their prices are a few dollars higher than MidwayUSA, Natchezz's, and Academy who offers free shipping based on $$ amounts.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Deadeye

Blazer Brass is fine, no problem with using it.

Blazer Aluminum is Junk-- stay away from it.

Steel Case ammo is cheap for a reason. I won't use it.

WWW (Winchester White Box) is great fro range use or just fun shooting.

For Protection Purposes Try several Brands and use what your gun likes best.

On Hi-Points, I have one bought it years ago. Dang thing just keeps on shooting and is surprisingly acturite. But it's fault is it's just to dang heavy to carry. Makes a great Truck Gun though.

the_huber_show

Quote from: Deadeye on November 28, 2018, 08:41:56 AM

On Hi-Points, I have one bought it years ago. Dang thing just keeps on shooting and is surprisingly acturite. But it's fault is it's just to dang heavy to carry. Makes a great Truck Gun though.

I agree!  I used my dad's once for an IDPA shooting match to see how it would do.  Ran fantastic!

I would never carry one as you would have to have a super belt to hold it up and forget conceal ability  lo

Deadeye

Quote from: the_huber_show on November 28, 2018, 10:06:07 AM

I agree!  I used my dad's once for an IDPA shooting match to see how it would do.  Ran fantastic!

I would never carry one as you would have to have a super belt to hold it up and forget conceal ability  lo

Well when you consider the Gun's Manufacturer (Hi-Point) doesn't recommend breaking it down to clean until after 1500 Rds have been fired through it, you could say it is reliable.

Of course I HAD to see how it worked and torn mine down not long after buying it. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it can be done. Life Time Warranty and made in Ohio.

As to the OP I wish Ruger had come out with the LCP before I bought my P3AT KelTec. I wold of bought in instead. Much better Fit & Finish.

The first additions pf LCP had some ejection issues, although most never had them it COULD happen and Ruger Recalled all of them. For sending them back they fixed them and gave you a 2nd Mag and a Hat. Had a friend that bought 2 one for him and one for the wife. He sent both in and Ruger gave him a extra Mag for each and 2 hats.

Keltec however does not do Recalls. I was shooting and heard a TINK after firing at the target. I stopped and tore the gun down. The 2nd Recoil Spring had blew through the front of the Slide. I went to Coco (home of KelTec) and went to the CS Desk. She took the gun with no questions and returned with a new gun with my Serial Number on. I asked what happened and was told "oh we had a bad batch of Slides go through where the hole for the rod was drilled out to far". I asked if they planned to do a Recall and was told "No. We are just fixing them as they come in". Piss poor CS if you ask me. Never will buy another.

the_huber_show

I have almost pulled the trigger on Keltec before but never felt comfortable with them in my hands.  Glad I didn't it sounds like

Princeton_Man

Quote from: the_huber_show on November 29, 2018, 08:45:09 AM
I have almost pulled the trigger on Keltec before but never felt comfortable with them in my hands.  Glad I didn't it sounds like
A number of my LEO friends up in Northern VA used to carry the Keltec .380 as a backup piece. Those things were cheap but they functioned pretty flawlessly. I've had a couple of their PMR-30's an had the same experiences.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

the_huber_show

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 30, 2018, 01:51:17 PM
A number of my LEO friends up in Northern VA used to carry the Keltec .380 as a backup piece. Those things were cheap but they functioned pretty flawlessly. I've had a couple of their PMR-30's an had the same experiences.

Funny how even weapons function differently for different people.  Like electronics.

Wizard

Uh, Lee. What's a miss? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Wizard

Princeton_Man

Quote from: the_huber_show on November 30, 2018, 04:08:45 PM

Funny how even weapons function differently for different people.  Like electronics.
I've owned my share of bad weapons.... very briefly. Any less than 100% reliability or performance and they get traded/sold.

Always been pretty fortunate with electronics.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TWBryan

Mike, have you considered getting into reloading your own ammunition?
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

Mike Cork

Quote from: TWBryan on February 05, 2020, 03:06:18 PM
Mike, have you considered getting into reloading your own ammunition?

I have but I just don't have the room. I don't have a garage and all the shed/spare closets in the house are crammed with fishing gear LOL

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service