Looking to buy my first GPS/Fish Finder

Started by TNDiver, November 27, 2018, 06:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNDiver

As some of you know, I just bought a 20' deck boat.  It has a depth finder, but no fish finder.  I don't plan to tournament fish or anything that involved, just fish by myself and with the kids or friends.  I saw a Garmin Striker 4 3.5" screen with CHIRP transducer on Amazon for $100.  Seems like it would suit me just fine, but I am just not sure.  What is everyone's opinion of that option and what other options or what things should I be looking for in a fish finder?  Given Mike's and others problems with Lawrence, I am thinking about staying away from them.

Also, is this something to buy used or would you recommend new?

Thanks for any and all advice.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Princeton_Man

Quote from: TNDiver on November 27, 2018, 06:08:03 PM
As some of you know, I just bought a 20' deck boat.  It has a depth finder, but no fish finder.  I don't plan to tournament fish or anything that involved, just fish by myself and with the kids or friends.  I saw a Garmin Striker 4 3.5" screen with CHIRP transducer on Amazon for $100.  Seems like it would suit me just fine, but I am just not sure.  What is everyone's opinion of that option and what other options or what things should I be looking for in a fish finder?  Given Mike's and others problems with Lawrence, I am thinking about staying away from them.

Also, is this something to buy used or would you recommend new?

Thanks for any and all advice.
I do love my Garmin EchoMap CHIRP SV and I plan to add a second one up front this Summer replacing the bird. I'm not familiar with the Striker but I've heard nothing but good things about them. My advice would be go with a bigger screen. A 5" is good but a 7" is awesome. While I'd like to have a 9-10 incher, I'm real happy with 7. As sharp and clear as the Garmin display is, you're still going to have some eye strain with that 3.5.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

Good point!  I have just reached the point where I am a proud owner of many cheater glasses, so yeah the bigger screen would be a plus! 

How old is too old for a fish finder?

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

coldfront

Quote from: TNDiver on November 27, 2018, 07:04:03 PM
Good point!  I have just reached the point where I am a proud owner of many cheater glasses, so yeah the bigger screen would be a plus! 

How old is too old for a fish finder?

one of the best  units I ever had with an old LMS-480.  then the LCX-17.  those were the old grayscale units, but in terms of quality, about as good as it got.  then everyone went to color graphs. 

find a company that supports an older unit (Humminbird, Garmin), then someone who just HAS to upgrade to a big screen TV and you should be able to get a good deal.  age of the sonar should not matter as much as the support you get for it.

Can't speak to the folks at garmin, johnson.  Mike and I CAN speak about Lowrance.  theyre' great units, but the company seems to think we ought to be happy as heck to change them out every two years like it's an iphone.

that ain't me.

ring fry

If you don't need built in maps then the Striker series is great.  I too would recommend a bigger screen.  You can make your own maps while you fish.  If you want/need built in mapping then I would suggest the echoMAP series.  There are some good prices on them if you look around.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Burbarry

I'm actually selling a couple older fish finders would trade for some lures looking for crainbaits but always open to anything bass fishing related. It is just the units as I kept the transducers for the new HDS I put on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDiver

Thanks Burberry, but I am looking for one with a transducer as well, and I think I may stay away from Lawrence.

Built in Maps means they have the map of my lake already on it? I assumed it had them already, like on my phone.

Mike Cork

Buiit in mapping could have your lake, you'd have to check the list to see if they have it and to what level they have it, IE 1 foot increments or 5 foot increments...

More than likely your lakes are on any internal mapping as they are pretty popular.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

At the time that I bought my EchoMap Chirp it came preloaded with Lake Vu HD had more internal maps than any of the others and most had 1' contours. I upgraded to the Lake Vu HD Ultra for the added features including the Auto Navigate feature which I find priceless when fishing unfamiliar water.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on November 30, 2018, 10:06:21 AM
Buiit in mapping could have your lake, you'd have to check the list to see if they have it and to what level they have it, IE 1 foot increments or 5 foot increments...

More than likely your lakes are on any internal mapping as they are pretty popular.

AND if a guy wanted to put a mount on his console to hold his tablet, might be able to use 'those' maps vs running htem on a sonar unit.

D.W. Verts

I'll be selling my Garmin Styker 7cv this winter. It's great, but I want a 12" for my console and I'll put my 9sv on the bow (PanOptix compatible). It's a year old, will have the transducer, and I'll figure up a decent price if your interested.

No matter what you do, go with as large a screen as you can afford. You will not regret it.
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Dale, if I put my old "Little Green Box" on your console, you would still catch bass.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

Quote from: Wizard on December 01, 2018, 11:05:34 AM
Dale, if I put my old "Little Green Box" on your console, you would still catch bass.

Wizard

I would LOVE a "little green box!"

Okay, trivia time- what is it?
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Princeton_Man

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 01, 2018, 12:51:39 PM
I would LOVE a "little green box!"

Okay, trivia time- what is it?
It be a Fish Lo-K-Tor (Lowrance). :)

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

TNDiver

Quote from: D.W. Verts on December 01, 2018, 10:22:29 AM
I'll be selling my Garmin Styker 7cv this winter. It's great, but I want a 12" for my console and I'll put my 9sv on the bow (PanOptix compatible). It's a year old, will have the transducer, and I'll figure up a decent price if your interested.

No matter what you do, go with as large a screen as you can afford. You will not regret it.

DW, I would be interested.  Please let me know when you get ready to sell.