Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to buy first trolling motor  (Read 291 times)

TNDiver

• Life Member
  • Too many hobbies, too little time!
Looking to buy first trolling motor
« on: November 27, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »

Looking to buy my first bow mounted trolling motor with foot pedal.  It will be for a 20' Deck boat (~2,500 lbs dry weight) that has a front deck and hook up for a trolling motor.  I am not going to be tournament fish, just occasional fishing with friends and family so I am not looking to break the bank, just a middle of the road, work horse that will last.  I saw a Minnkota Edge 70 bow mount with foot control and with a latch and door bracket for $650 on Amazon.  Would that be good enough?  Others to consider?

As a first time buyer, what would you recommend in terms of options, etc or other things I may not be thinking about or not aware of?

Is this something I should look to buy used or better to buy new? 

Any advice would be appreciated. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Re: Looking to buy first trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »

Your first consideration is to determine the shaft length your trolling motor would need.  I know some deck boats can sit quite high and a longer than the traditional bass boat would require.  The second consideration of course will be the battery configuration that you will need and do you have the space to hold the batteries.  Once you have that information then you can determine the motor type that you will need.  In my opinion the best all around Minn Kota motor would be a fortrex 80lb.  Good all around motor.   The motorguides are also nice as well so it will become a matter of choice and budget considerations.  Also to be noted are the use of a 12V motor or a 24V motor that quite frankly might be determined by your available battery space.

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

Complete newbie so where would batteries tend to go?  I have a bunch of space under the boat, so I am guessing I can put 2-3 there.  From what I have read, it appears I may need up to 3 batteries for all the electronics (plus a GPS/Fish finder)?

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

Your first consideration is to determine the shaft length your trolling motor would need.  I know some deck boats can sit quite high and a longer than the traditional bass boat would require.  The second consideration of course will be the battery configuration that you will need and do you have the space to hold the batteries.  Once you have that information then you can determine the motor type that you will need.  In my opinion the best all around Minn Kota motor would be a fortrex 80lb.  Good all around motor.   The motorguides are also nice as well so it will become a matter of choice and budget considerations.  Also to be noted are the use of a 12V motor or a 24V motor that quite frankly might be determined by your available battery space.

AND a lot of fortrexes should be out there as folks try to upgrade to the Ultrex.  I'd love to sell you MY Foretrex (80lb thrust) for just that reason.  just let me know if you want to talk turkey!   lo

i'm just a short drive down the road in Chatt.

while I am serious, i suspect you can likely find something if you just look a bit.

as for batteries:  dedicated for the trolling motor (2 deep cycle) and one for the big motor start/cranking.  you should be able to run your electronics off this one.  that's typically what most do.  Unless you're trying to run 3 big screen units plus the sound units, plus livewells, nav lights, etc.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:50:56 PM by coldfront »

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »

Coldfront, hit me up when you think you might be ready to sell.  I might have to wait until after Christmas.  I have to wait to get the motor installed on my boat and once I have it, I can go over it and decide what all I need or what space I have for things like batteries and storage.

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 08:04:25 PM »

Coldfront, hit me up when you think you might be ready to sell.  I might have to wait until after Christmas.  I have to wait to get the motor installed on my boat and once I have it, I can go over it and decide what all I need or what space I have for things like batteries and storage.

check back when you're ready.  if you can't find, don't find something local, happy to talk.  see if I can help.

photos available if/whenyou want.  to Buds point:  it's a 45 inch shaft. may/may not even be what you need.  might be too short.

that other TM you mentioned at the start?  that's a good TM as well.

work through what you need, need to know.

oh, and if you want, would be happy to also work out a smokin deal on a lowrance Gen2 HDS7 touch sonar unit.  Perfect condition except for the clock don't work.  would also include the navionics area CHIP for lakes.  (guys gotta try!   ~roflmao)

reason being:  if/when I go to a new Ultrex, I'll pair it with a humminbird up front.  but will still be running the HDS7 at the console.  I don't fish tournaments, so don't really care if I get on/off the water in a set amount of time.

it's almost like I'm retired!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:09:45 PM by coldfront »

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »

We are all flying a bit blind to fully answer your questions.  It will be good when you finally get your boat home to get some detail pictures so we can assist you a bit better.  I have forgotten what make and model of boat you are getting.  Let us know so maybe we can look it up on line and get some specifications to help us understand.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »

This should help in finding the right shaft length.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-i-select-shaft-length
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:50:52 PM »

This should help in finding the right shaft length.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/how-do-i-select-shaft-length

That is a great chart.  I think I'll keep that one on file too.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »

TNDriver congrats again on getting this new boat.  Have fun getting accessories for it also.  I have both brands of trolling motors > Motor Guide on my G3 / MinnKota Fortrex 80lb 45in shaft on my Stratos.  Both are bow mounted and foot operated.  I also have a transom mounted Motor Guide on the G3 also.

I enjoy both of them and both have been pretty much trouble maintenance free.  Both have different features so you wont' go wrong with either one. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »

I just don't know if an 80 pound will be enough. I realize that you're not tournament fishing and hard core wind and bad weather are probably not an option either. However your boat is 1000 pounds heavier than a 21 foot bass boat that we put 109 pound trolling motors on. This just has me scratching my head.

Let me do some digging, I read somewhere what a good weight to pound ratio was, let me see if I can find it.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 09:44:30 AM »

Here is a link to a page with some great information.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blogs/selection/86933703-trolling-motor-thrust-guide

Keep in mind that the forumula they give is to find the minimum (and an 80 should work), when on the water your going to want a little more power to keep the boat wakes from pushing you on the bank, to help fight the wind, and I believe you're fishing some power plant lakes and current is brutal on a trolling motor.

I also would like to mention that a 24 volt system is going to last much longer than a 12 volt system. A boat the size of yours will kill a 12 volt system in half a day if there are any external forces like wind and or current. It's just a heavy boat, nothing wrong with that, but adjustments have to be made.

Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »

Go for the largest TM you possibly can, better to much than not enough.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »

Go for the largest TM you possibly can, better to much than not enough.
Rodney

This is great advice.

I forgot to mention I'm a motor guide user and have been since day one. They are different, and one really isn't better than the other, but as a user, you'll get comfortable with a particular brand.

Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »

The boat is a 2005 Starcraft Aurora 2009 deck boat.  Thanks for all the resources, it will give me something to do when I am off from teaching.  I have to hook up a wiring harness and then get the boat Saturday, so I will have more information then.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »

After looking at what appears to be your boat year and model, the deck layout might not be conducive for installing a trolling motor.  I also note that the battery compartment appears to be quite small and looks like it is only set up for a starting battery.  It is hard to tell from the spec sheet I was viewing.  Also this a a very heavy hull and as suspected the height of the hull will require a long shaft troller if that is even possible.  I would think that this may be a back burner item for you until you can possibly see if anyone else has a trolling motor set up.  Although this boat appears that it has two fishing seats on the very front deck you might have to just make your adjustments from the big motor.  I sure there must be a way to install a troller but it will be different even if there  is room for more batteries.

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »

I expect the quick release mount and/or a Terrova style mount will make for the cleanest installation.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »

I know it is wired and has a place to mount a bow mount trolling motor.  It also has a big storage area underneath that I could probably build or attach a dual battery mount system.  I am guessing it will take the 52" shaft.  Like I said, once I get the boat on Saturday, I can crawl around and see what all I am going to need.   I am guessing it will take the higher lb and 24 volts.  Thanks for all the input, it certainly helps

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »

If you can put it in the water and measure from the deck to the water, it'll give you a better idea of what length shaft you'll need.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

TNDiver

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »

Well I have the boat and can confirm there is a battery for a trolling motor.  I am guessing I can add a second one.  Now I just need to see how low it sits in the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 23 queries.