Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Words On the Vegetation Spraying from a Former Spray Operator  (Read 232 times)

Deadeye

• Charter Member
  • You going Fishing again? Well Duh, I'm breathing.
Words On the Vegetation Spraying from a Former Spray Operator
« on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »

I will preface this by saying that I can not Confirm that this person is or was a Former Spray Operator. This Posting was Copied from another Fishing Site where the Information was Posted in a Public Forum

EXCERPTS FROM AN AA SPRAYER
Yesterday I had the privilege to speak for well over an hour with a former AA sprayboat applicator. I promised to keep his anonymity, but I was given permission to share his experiences. This gentleman worked out of the Lake Port AA office spraying on Harney Pond,Little Grassy,Kings Bar, to Buckhead areas ,including canals leading to Roland's and Mary Ann's place.

His like the overwhelming majority was a short lived employment lasting about five months. During the short time employment he witnessed unprecedented turnover, Ten operators came and left that one office, in that time period, including several long time employees. "When people really see what they are doing their conscious will not allow them to continue".

I guess this helps explain the continuous adds on their web and Facebook pages for "applicators wanted". These are not good, safe or well paying jobs. Two years ago starting pay was $ 9 per hour, now because of demand it is $ 13

"Less than $500 take home to kill nature and ourselves"

"Man with over 16 years ,only making $18 an hr"

Contrary to popular belief , these sprayers DO NOT get paid by the gallon. However Ed Harris FWC at hydrillia meeting on Orange Lake five weeks ago,openly admitted that these spray company's are reimbursed "by the gallon" for chemicals used.

But there is a kicker; sprayers are given daily quotas. The boats are rigged with chemtainers that hold exactly 100 gallons, to make mixing and measuring an easier process.Applicators are encouraged in order to stay in "good standing" to apply 10-12 containers per day ( 1000 to 1200 gallons, per boat ,per day) !!

New applicators are not required to have state mandated Applicators Licenses, they are given an extended grace period ,and are covered as long as they spray along side a Licensed operator (reasonable explanation for why I always see them spray in pairs). From another totally reliable source, father of the man that gives monthly , two day training to new AA applicators, says the average new employee last "90 " days.

This means that a large percentage is not well trained or even ever licensed , for that matter.

This individual quotes " running over animals especially nests is considered "part of the game when spraying on required grid systems" "this happens all day ,every day"

The inside terminology for a days work is "going to level the lake" !!

Also the new method ,with newly rigged boats,I have heard of but never personally witnessed is called "scorching hydrilla" where boats are rigged with a underwater dispensing gizmo to inject chemicals near the bottom ,directly to the roots.

This person has also had awful experiences with different chemicals ,he stated that mixing of different chemicals is routine as well as other bonding and dispersing chemicals.

All fisherman might appreciate this: after leaving his bucket in the truck one morning, he had to take care of his morning duties, sat back over the narrow airboat gunnels,and popped up two seconds later,already burning from dried overspray on the boat. It burned thru his skin, took eight weeks of torture to heal and has a long time reminder.

On a second occasion, straight chemical got on his shirt sleeve , rinsed immediately ,and burned completely thru his skin in seconds, requiring another lengthy recovery.

"Some of this stuff is way worse than they say, with some chemicals ,stuff is scorched dead in one hour"

After years of pubic complaint of AA sprayers "dumping their tanks" at the end of the day ( I have witnessed this many ,many times), because of weather or to finish the quota ,AA Applicators are instructed to "find a spot, and pump it over" !

After being required by weather to do this one day, he sat I one secluded area,pumped over and "specks,gillies, and shiners floated to the surface all around him. He then took this to a supervisor and was told "I've never seen this ,don't worry about it"

This mans spirit truly breaks for the damage he has caused and the total destruction "leveling of the lake" he knows happens daily.

His final straw was continually having to dig out garbage dumped in the back of his truck, having to hold his head down to fill up, get lunch, or be in public.But his final straw was spraying at Roland's, Roland pulled up in his rig, chewed him upside down, inside out for ten minutes " you are killing EVERYTHING on the F-ING lake" !!

This man is a sportsman, fisherman and loves his state. He is courageous and deserves thanks from every Floridian. I believe every word !

- Pastor Scott Wilson - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2137237459666762&id=10000 1415871130
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

Deadeye

• Charter Member
Re: Words On the Vegetation Spraying from a Former Spray Operator
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:50:39 AM »

Just about everything this man is saying I have seen being done. 3 Boats Spraying in the same area over and over.

One spot on Lake Monroe had some small floating pads and eelgrass under it. I was catching fish on every drift through or past it. While I was there 3 Spray Boats showed up and sprayed all around me over and over, but I wouldn't leave the spot while they were there. Finally all 3 left.

The next week I went back and all of the pads and grass was gone, sprayed until it all died and the fish were gone as well.

The Public is starting to hear and be made aware of what is going on. Whomever is in control of this needs to be held accountable.
Eternal Optimism. It's what drives me to fish. Next cast is THE cast that will provide the reason why I am here. Big Bass, Small Bass, No Bass-- Everyday and Every Time out learn something. What worked and what didn't and why. In the end go enough days and then, Today is the day that it will all come together and the Fish Gods will smile.

WTodd

• Largemouth
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »

The only way we will see a change is getting this story to the local media; the Government absolutely hates bad press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big g

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »

Why are we the tax payer paying for this crap?  It is sad to see the results of this crap, and it is wide spread.  Who actually controls this, and is it all about money?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 10:01:34 PM by big g »
(Fish) - Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

TR21FL

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

Well now I know why FWC blamed a recent fish kill at Tenoroc while spraying on it being overcast, thunderstorms, and a tornado warning. I guess they dumped their whole load in one area to get away from the weather. Walt saw the email I'm referencing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again here, what they are doing is criminal. If Roland Martin can't get their attention, not sure what recourse we have.

~Barry~

~Barry~

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »

Maybe when ole Johnny Morris sets up camp on the N end of Okeechobee, maybe...just maybe...there could be something done. After all, it takes money to fend off money.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FD

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »

Some spraying is necessary.

My HOA has a permit and we do it ourselves only to maintain canal access.

Image what Toho would look like in August if they did not spray. You would have 15,000 acres of topped out hydrilla. And then in September a major storm comes along and wads it all up on the south end and blocks S-65. Now everything south of I-4 and west of downtown Orlando floods causing BILLIONS of damage.

That scenario is real and is how the spraying is funded.

The problem is the management of the government contract and the contractors themselves. The EPA used to oversee the contract and a few years ago that shifted to the FWC. I had hope that it would be better managed and for a while it appeared that it was. But when you have a contract that is paid by the gallon and unscrupulous contractors that only look at dollars, you have a recipe for environmental disaster.

Unless the sportsmen in Florida band together and make enough noise to affect policy change ( which we wonít - only a handful of people show up at the FWC public meetings), or the contractors suddenly gain a conscious (not going to happen either), all we are going to have is a bunch of whining and hand wringing while millions of acres of habitat and fish get destroyed every year.

If itís just the same 10 of us at the meetings, itís very easy for the FWC to to frown, say ďweíre doing the best we canĒ, pat us on the head and send us on our way.

If you want change, get involved. Then you have to get 10 people involved and they have to get 10 more. Until we are a large and well organized enough group to be a threat either politically or financially, nothing is going to change.

Sent from the end of the paved road...
TR 20X2 - Merc 250 Pro XS - Humminbird        Ford F-550 4X4

WTodd

• Largemouth
Words On the Vegetation Spraying from a Former Spray Operator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:22:12 AM »

If the contract was written for the contractor to be paid by the gallon then itís a horribly written contract PLUS no oversight.....yeah this is definitely a Government operation.

FWC is clueless...Iíve been doing contracts for almost 40 years; private, international and mostly Government and you cannot administer or oversee contracts from an office.

99% of the bass fishermen want clean water and we know that some spraying is necessary but from what Iíve seen personally thereís no end goal except to spend the money allocated for spraying regardless if itís needed. IMO the experts are the guys in the boats every weekend and weíre told to shut up and we donít know what weíre talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:58:42 AM by WTodd »

TR21FL

• Charter Member
  • Roll Tide!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 03:59:10 PM »

Lee, I hear ya, there is a need to "control" vegetation but they are well beyond that. If you're killing fish, you're over spraying and in too large an area for them to move to cleaner water. What they did to the Hillsborough River will take years to recover, if ever.

~Barry~

~Barry~

Deadeye

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:23:22 AM »

Moderation has been what I have been saying fro several years now.

I actually had a FB Conversation with a FWC Fisheries Biologist. The Post was started by FWC about how bad vegetation was for our waterways, and I responded with a comment about there needed to be Moderation in what is being sprayed.

He responded with a pic of a feeder creek that was choked off with Floating Hyacinths and said that this was why spraying had to be done.

Once again I agreed with him that indeed spraying did need to be done but not to the point that the very body of water they were trying to protect suffered.  There were several others that joined in at that point agreeing with me and stating cases of where the spraying had killed the body of water.

The FWC Poster simply disappeared.

He/they did not want to have an open to the public discussion that was able to disprove the Agenda they were pushing.

However there was also several posters who commented on how "great" the waterways looked now that the FWC had cleared all the vegetation off.

Moderation. Everything must be done in Moderation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 26 queries.