200 vs 225 Four stroke Merc

Started by oldgas, December 02, 2018, 08:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgas

Looking to rig a new boat.  Looking at the options between the 200 Prosx V-8 Merc vs the 225.  They are baseiclly the smae motor.  I am told by the dealer there is about $2,400 bucks diffence between them.  The dealer also tells me there is VERY little diffence in preformance between the two from hole-shot through mid-range.  The dealer tells me $2,400 bucks is a lot of money for about 3 to 4 HPH top end between the two.
Anyone have any thoughts?

WTodd

If the difference between the 2 is THAT small, I'd go with the 200 and spend the $2400 on fishing gear......win-win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

Traditional thinking says that you should always go with the maximum horsepower that the boat is rated for.  The claim is that it makes for better resale.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: oldgas on December 02, 2018, 08:13:10 AM
Looking to rig a new boat.  Looking at the options between the 200 Prosx V-8 Merc vs the 225.  They are baseiclly the smae motor.  I am told by the dealer there is about $2,400 bucks diffence between them.  The dealer also tells me there is VERY little diffence in preformance between the two from hole-shot through mid-range.  The dealer tells me $2,400 bucks is a lot of money for about 3 to 4 HPH top end between the two.
Anyone have any thoughts?

How important is the difference to you? I seriously doubt its 3 to 4 mph difference. Dealers say many things. It boils down to what do you really want? I agree with WTodd approach, if your leaning to go with the cheaper outboard, use the $$ difference for a something else , or just simply as a savings.  :-* Good luck with your decision.

D.W. Verts

It's ALWAYS been this way with motors- they can't build a new platform for every single horsepower. The only real difference in my 200 from a 225 is the ECM- programming. Sometimes there's a slight exhaust change.

I am not as familiar with the latest technology, but I'm sure I'm right. I also seriously doubt 4 mph for just 25 hp. We didn't see that much with 2S motors.

Another thought on how we're sheep to slaughter. How much difference over the years did we pay between a V-6 150 and a 200 or 225? Why? Where's the $ at? Seriously. They have the same parts, just different configurations! It was sometimes hard for me to sell these things and stay sane.
Old School Bass Fishin', My Hickbilly Life, and Hickbilly Outdoors with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

Wizard

Almost anything you do to car engine to up power it from factory specs can be done to an outboard. As Dale said, standard blocks are used for several engine sizes. The blocks were bored for different cylinder sizes. The block and cowling for a 160 and 175 are the same except for cylinder bore. In the day of 150 hp limits, you often found someone putting a 150 hp cowling on a 175 hp engine. Optimax vs,ProXS is a matter of strengthened or hardened engine parts. The ProXS is (supposedly) a more reliable engine. You can change engine output with modules, propellers, propeller plugs, weight of boat and gear and boat balance, Unfortunately, perception is everything in an engine. Current perception is that the bigger the engine, the better.
You can also change things by using different lower units or gearing in the units. Now, you can make all these changes to the engine OR just buy a bigger engine when you purchase the boat. Your choice.

Wizard

Wizard

OK, I win the dummy award for the day. I didn't see the title said Four Stroke. Be careful whipping me me. I bruise easily.

Wizard

Princeton_Man

I am in no way a Mercury man and I agree with most everything said here. Most of all though, I agree with Bud's statement. You'll get it back in resale by going with the max hp.
If you're going to keep it to the very end with no chance of ever selling it.... go with the 200. -J

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club