Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tip for boats without a bulge pump  (Read 117 times)

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Tip for boats without a bulge pump
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:14 PM »

I once owned a 14 ft Star, tri-hull bass boat. It had a 40 hp Merc and a 14 lb, thrust MotorGuide. It had everything a much larger boat had except for a bilge pump. I rigged a bilge pump with alligator clips and set it in the bilge area. To use it, we would put the hose over the stern and hook the clips to the starting battery. Many anglers with a small boat didn't know to do this.
Old timers had a way to bail the boat few would use today. We would put the drain plug into the drain from inside the boat. Sounds stupid but there was a reason. During a heavy rain, a small boat fills quickly with water. To remove the water from the boat, start the outboard and go on plane. When on plane, remove the drain plug and put it in a pocket so it doesn't get lost. As the boat moves, a vacuum is formed around the outside of the drain hole. The vacuum literally sucks the water out the drain hole. When the water has drained, replace the drain plug. One caution: don't slow the boat while draining the water. Lose the vacuum and the water will fill the boat through the drain hole,

Wizard

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • Ultimate Bass Life Member / LSCR Club Member
Re: Tip for boats without a bulge pump
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:21:54 PM »

Wiz,  tks for sharing the 'Ole Times' with us.  The part of removing the drain plug and getting on plane works great like you mentioned.  I had issues with that part  ~b~  I finally figured it out though...  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »

After a couple 3 times bailing I bought bilge pump, much easier. I know your method of pulling the plug on plane, was just a bit chicken to try it. lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Goldstar225

• Smallmouth
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:12:34 PM »

Wizard the "drain while on plane" method works well.  We had to do it often on our leaky jon boats.  Just don't do what my idiot former brother-in-law did.  He snatched the drain plug out and it flew into the river. The ONLY drain plug he had in the boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.