Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Jigs Anyone?  (Read 1239 times)

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
Re: Hair Jigs Anyone?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »

You don't need an expensive vise to start, my first, I still use it at times, was about 12$, the one I use most about 30$. Scissors need to be good to make the work fun instead of frustrating, don't skimp, doesn't mean expensive but good quality. When I find it I use 210 denier thread for the most part and except for specialty use you really only need dark green, black and brown. Whip finisher, it's what you like, mine sits collecting dust, I normally tie a uni twice. I use Hard As Nails, sometimes super glue. Jim gave you excellent advice. It'll take some time but you'll sort out what works for you and lets you enjoy the creative side of the hobby to it's fullest.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

bigjim5589

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »

Thanks for adding your thoughts Rodney!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

No, the vise doesn't have to be expensive. But, like I said, it needs to hold all the hook sizes, and solidly.

It's very frustrating when you're trying to tie materials on the jig head and the hook slips, or the head moves in the vise jaws so that you can't keep the proper tension on the thread. Been there!  :'(

I have a Regal Medallion vise, and it's not cheap in price. It's a great vise, but I got it a long time ago, ( before they started putting the "medallion" on them)  and it won't hold some larger size hooks that I use. Mine has the "standard" jaws, and they don't open wide enough to accept some heavier wire hooks when they start getting into the 2/0 to 3/0 size range. It does hold any hook that will fit very solidly. If you only tied jigs on light wire hooks, it will do the job & very well.

Regal now makes a couple of versions with different jaws to fit a wider range of hooks and even have a stainless steel version. (Very expensive, but I would love to have one!  ;D)

I also have a much less costly "knock-off" vise based on the Regal design. I paid about $35 for it. The Regal I have is mounted on a pedestal and sits on my tying desk. The knock-off has a C clamp mount so needs a table edge to use it. After tying on it a few years, I can honestly say it would be a great choice for tying jigs. It even holds some slightly larger hooks than the Regal. I bought mine from an Ebay seller, but they're sold by various vendors.

I agree with Rodney about thread colors, you don't need a lot of them, but that's a choice that each tyer has to make for themselves. I have & use several colors, but mainly because I'm tying flies too with the same threads.  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »

I had an aluminum block cut to a size I could clamp to a bench or mount in a woodworking vise, it has a hole drilled in one end that lets the support shaft of the mount slide in it and is drilled and tapped from the end for a thumbscrew to hold the shafts tight. It makes it able to be used almost anywhere, a friend made where we both worked, if you're able to do this it makes most any vise more usable.
Rodney

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 06:24:02 AM »

This is the vise and rig I was talking about.
Rodney

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »

I screwed up and powder painted the eyes also. Might as well make it difficult, I cured the paint before I discovered it, lots of fun! lo lo :bang :bang
Rodney

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:31:21 AM by Oldfart9999 »

Stren_g

• Charter Member
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »

I'm putting together a small shopping list, I think I'll get started with smaller jigs and maybe even put together a few bass jigs. Also in consideration is getting into pouring lead in the spring. My garage isn't heated and I'm a sissy when it comes to cold weather  :surrender: I figure I can purchase jig heads at first, and then pour enough over the warmer months to last tying/building through the winter.

bigjim5589

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »

I'm putting together a small shopping list, I think I'll get started with smaller jigs and maybe even put together a few bass jigs. Also in consideration is getting into pouring lead in the spring. My garage isn't heated and I'm a sissy when it comes to cold weather  :surrender: I figure I can purchase jig heads at first, and then pour enough over the warmer months to last tying/building through the winter.

Sounds like a good plan!  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

I think I said before, any help I can give, all you need to do is ask!  :)

My garage isn't heated either. When I pour, I open the overhead doors for ventilation, but do have a small heater. My legs & hands tend to get cold quick, so as long as I can keep them worm, I'm good!  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

oldude

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »

jim what if the cost for a small order of 4ea of jpg629a,633a,636a, and 635a in 3/8oz   they ook very nice and i might learn something new lol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 25 queries.