Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flipping Rod with Slow Tip  (Read 275 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Flipping Rod with Slow Tip
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »

I am currently planning a trip to Florida in the Spring.  Seldom do I find myself with a need to flip but the guide I have hired does recommend that I consider a flipping rod with a slow tip.  My question is why does a flipping stick need a slow tip?  My plan has been to just use my Fury 735C for both flipping and pitching.  I just don't have the space for a longer rod and don't plan on making another rod purchase for a flipping stick.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
Re: Flipping Rod with Slow Tip
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:34:50 AM »

I use a 735 Savage for pitching all the time. I do not Flip much at all. I actually prefer a fast tip and really want another 6 power. The last one I had shattered but it was awesome until it went pow. (It wasnít a Dobyns for the record)
I see most of the Flipping rods are moderate action and not really my style. I think your rod will work but itís mainly what youíre comfortable with imho
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »

I am guessing that since the guide is recommending 65 lb braid and 5/0 - 7/0 heavy hooks it might be something to do with hooksets but not sure about that.  In my experience the heaviest line I use is 50 lb power pro but I do use 5/0 hooks.  Since I use Daiwa TATs  SVTW103 reels there is not a lot of reel space for heavy line although flipping and pitching does not take much line anyway.

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

I am guessing that since the guide is recommending 65 lb braid and 5/0 - 7/0 heavy hooks it might be something to do with hooksets but not sure about that.  In my experience the heaviest line I use is 50 lb power pro but I do use 5/0 hooks.  Since I use Daiwa TATs  SVTW103 reels there is not a lot of reel space for heavy line although flipping and pitching does not take much line anyway.

You are going to need about 30yds of line. Flipping mats is close quarter battling. The tip action is subjective at most.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:09:21 PM »

My understanding from a video I watched from one of the pros a while back is that the slower tip allows you to give the fish some cushion in case it tries to surge while you're trying to get it out of the really thick stuff.

My punching rig consists of a Heavy rod, some would even recommend an XHeavy, fast tip, 65lb braid, 4/0 to 5/0 superline hooks but you can use heavy wire flipping hooks too. I personally use superline worm hooks cause it keeps the bait from shredding a lot longer than flipping hooks.
I don't know what baits you'll be throwing that will require a 7/0 hook though.

Your SV will handle the 65lb line without issue. You won't need much line anyways.

What lake are you finally going to go to?

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FLO GROWN

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »

I am currently planning a trip to Florida in the Spring.  Seldom do I find myself with a need to flip but the guide I have hired does recommend that I consider a flipping rod with a slow tip.  My question is why does a flipping stick need a slow tip?  My plan has been to just use my Fury 735C for both flipping and pitching.  I just don't have the space for a longer rod and don't plan on making another rod purchase for a flipping stick.
Lately I been pitching here in South Florida with my Fury 735c and absolutely love it, great rod for  pulling them out of vegetation.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

"Tight lines"

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »

Guys I punch a lot and I've caught a lot of bass between 8 and 12 pounds punching. For me the slow tip is about keeping big pissed off fish from coming unbuttoned. This is best explained with a mini scenario:

Angler flips out 10-15 feet from the boat, into water 2-6 foot deep, so we're talking about 20 feet of line.

Heavy bait punches through the mat

Bass grabs bait

Angler sets the hook

Bass either surges deeper into the grass or up on top of the mat, all of this right at the boat... In both of these next scenarios, keep in mind that this is a fresh bass, meaning it's not worn out at all from a 30 yard battle to the boat. This is a man against bass, both with every ounce of adrenaline fresh in their muscles.

1) If bass surges, the slower action will give and prevent tearing the hook out. Think about a single hook in a bass's mouth. As the bass surges away from you, the hook is going to try and rotate in such a way that the only thing keeping it in the bass's mouth is the barb. If that bass can get the leverage, and break the barb free, the hook pops free.

2) If the bass comes to the top of the mat, it's mad and hasn't been warn down so it's full of energy and will flop and thrash wildly. Remember you only have a few feet of line out. The slower action will absorb line slack as the bass thrashes around so close to the boat. If the bass gets slack in the line, the side to side thrashing will sling the big weight around and is likely going to help jerk it out of the bass's mouth.

In my roughly 15 years of punching I've learned a lot of things, and while a light broom stick feels good in our hands when we are thinking about giant bass and heavy cover, something with a lot of back bone but a slower tip is going to be better at allowing you to take a photo op with the bass of a life time.

Bud, your 735 Fury has the right combination and will do great. I just like my flipping/punching rods to be a little longer and use a 795. I've used a 736 some this past year and it felt pretty good too. I think you'll be fine :-*
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »

Thanks Mike, that is exactly the type of information I was seeking.  Makes sense when you see it in the format you describe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.