Dobyns DX 744c vs DX 745c Extreme HP

Started by deltaratl, December 05, 2018, 02:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltaratl

I was curious if I want to try 3/4 oz jigs with trailers, will the DX745c be a better choice than the DX744c? I am trying to learn how to fish more with jigs in the coming year and am planning to use 3/8 - 3/4 oz.

I weighed a Bass Patrol 3/4 oz football jig with a Reaction Innovations Beaver 4.2 (
approx 1.2 oz paired together).

Am I past the "sweet spot" of the DX744c ( rated 1/4 - 1 oz) ? Should I go for the DX745c ( rated at 3/8 - 1.5 oz)?  Do you guys usually match the rod's weight rating with just the lure or combine the lure with trailer weight?

Thanks for all the tips.  As a newbie, I appreciate it !

SteveTX

For me it's the entire package hanging on the top of my rod. That rod doesn't know to separate the jig from the trailer when it's trying to support the weight.

I don't have either rod but imho I like the 5 power for your application.

Mike Cork

I think all together you are going to be beyond that perfect spot in the 744, but the 745 will love it and if you are fishing in a bunch of junk (Delta grass and reeds) I wouldn't be afraid of the 746.

If you're going to multi task this rod the 745 will be great, but if it's dedicated to fishing vegetation in the California Delta, I'd step into the 746.

PS, did you call me? Please try again this afternoon if you'd like. I'm busy busy today but who knows... I have a Parent Teacher deal at 1100 and I'll be at the shooting range between 1200 and when ever the paper finally dies or I run out of bullets to throw at it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Chip Harm

I agree with Mike.  In my opinion the 744 is a little on the light side for that jig set up, I usually will only go from 3/8 to 1/2 oz on this rod.  I like the 745 for 1/2 oz with a big trailer, and the 3/4 oz.
Chip

www.elitetungsten.com

Dink Dawg

I would not go less than a 745C.  It sound as if you will not be punching with it so you'll be in great shape. I love mine and it's a Pre HP model.

deltaratl

thanks for all the input, time to order the DX745c !

And Mike, great chatting with you today.

Wiscmike

In my opinion the 745 is the perfect rod for your application.

Mike Cork

Quote from: deltaratl on December 06, 2018, 12:55:16 AM
thanks for all the input, time to order the DX745c !

And Mike, great chatting with you today.

Don't leave us hanging, once you get a trip or two with it let us know what you think...

Thanks for calling, I always love talking with members.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

deltaratl

thanks Mike !

The DX745C FH is en route and I cannot wait to try it out. 

I appreciate everyone's input.  I really want to learn more about jig fishing and hope to also start pouring and tying my own jigs this winter also.

Gary Dobyns

THX guys. Not much to add here. The 744 could do it but as already said it's better in that 3/8-1/2 oz range. The 745 will fish those very well too, but shines in that 1/2 to 3/4 oz range.