My new Dobyns needed a partner

Started by fishballer06, December 06, 2018, 07:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

As some of you saw, I picked up a Dobyns Champion 734C on Black Friday. And as any good recovering Bait Monkey addict knows, any new rod requires a new reel to go with it. I've always been a Shimano guy, with a few Daiwa's sprinkled in the lineup. However, every now and again I like to branch out and try something from a different company just to see what the competition has to offer compared to the big two.

And that's what brings me here. I managed to get myself a sweet deal on a new Quantum Tour S3 casting reel in the 7:1 ratio. I've always shyed away from Quantum because of their quality whenever I was younger, but I figure that guys like Van Dam, Lee, Swindle, Hackney, and Ashley wouldn't be making all that money if they didn't have a competent reel to get the job done for them.

This reel has quite a few features that had me wanting to try it. The first thing that drew me to this reel was it now has a swing away side plate, rather than their old design that just popped off and could fall into the water like my old Tour MG did that I last had from Quantum. Some other neat things this reel has: a 95mm carbon fiber handle, a line size indicator on the handle cap, a 150 size spool in a 100 size frame (equals small and comfortable in the hand with long range casting capabilities), and an externally adjustable braking system.

All this sounds fine and dandy, but now I'm stuck sitting around all winter waiting for soft water in March or April. I can't wait to test this bad boy out. From what I can see of this reel already, it has me wanting to try the spinning reel version of this reel as well.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

the_huber_show

Shoot sounds like you need to do some yard fishing :)
Fishbrain: The_Huber_Show

SteveTX

Quote from: the_huber_show on December 06, 2018, 10:03:12 AM
Shoot sounds like you need to do some yard fishing :)
Exactly! Id be pitching to everything in the yard. I couldnt stand winters up north Id go crazy wanting to fish but not ice fishing. ;)

I'm not sure who started it but the line size indicator is a nice feature if you have quite a few reels. I swear I thought that was so stupid when I read about a reel Lews had with it. But I own one now and honestly its saved me trying to see what was spooled on it at least once.

LgMouthGambler

Im very curious as to what you think of this reel. I almost pulled the trigger myself a bit back to test and see what its made of. Knowing that Banax makes them, and also made the Okuma Helios LP I had, I didnt bother. Same reel, different style. But, to give you goid vibes, it was a smooth, casting son of a gun.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

Well that wasn't fair, made me read that big ole teaser just to find out I have to wait until spring to know how it does :'( :'(

Just not right  ~roflmao

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Sounds like you better head out to the Alleghany to do some test casting, the troops are getting restless!!! lo lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Captsteve

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 12, 2018, 03:52:54 PM
Well that wasn't fair, made me read that big ole teaser just to find out I have to wait until spring to know how it does :'( :'(

Just not right  ~roflmao
too funny

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

fishballer06

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 12, 2018, 03:52:54 PM

Just not right  ~roflmao

Fly me down and house me. We'll fish all winter Mike! I'll even bring Zippy with me.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Quote from: fishballer06 on December 14, 2018, 07:48:39 AM
Fly me down and house me. We'll fish all winter Mike! I'll even bring Zippy with me.

The room and board is easy, it's getting the transportation funds  :'( let me work on it after I pay off Christmas. Having a couple of live in grandsons is putting a rather large strain on the budget this Christmas :surrender:  :shocking:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service