Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Lockett Lures Outlet

K9 Fishing Line

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not?  (Read 241 times)

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Why not?
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »

There is a secondary point across the cove from my condo which may be the best looking secondary point on the lower end of the lake. I have fished it innumerable times over 20 years in all seasons. I have never had a BITE on this point nor seen anyone else get a bite. I have looked for pollution, dumping, sewer pipe or anything which would affect the water. I even borrowed an underwater camera and saw nothing to adversely affect bass. Also, there are never bait fish or craws on the point. That point has become my nemesis because I can't figure out why it is toxic to marine life. The point is located on land owned by the largest resort on the lake. It's marina is located 100 ft. from the point. Plenty of fish in the marina and starting 75 ft. on either side of the point.
I am thinking the resort has something to do with this barren point but I've run out of ideas. I'm willing to accept scientific discussions, thoughtful thinking, intuition or just pulling it out of your rear.

Wizard

D.W. Verts

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Why not?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »

I haven't fished it in years, but it does have everything, including deep water close by.

In the early 80's, late September, we were headed back into the holler behind your condo (the docks weren't there then) when a PILE of bass began schooling from just off that point to the middle of the cove. We stopped, and they were mega-SPOTTED bass. We caught several over three pounds, and one over four before they disappeared,but they were all the way upon that point. One time.

It's funny- that school worked it's way up the bluff all day to the South, and the last time they were seen was in the mouth of Pogue holler, where the school was even larger yet. I've caught some nice Kentuckies in the area in the years since, but I spent a lot of time looking for that particular school with zero luck.
I'm just lookin' for clues at the scene of the crime...

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

Every living thing needs oxygen, so that might be the first place to start if you or someone you know has the equipment to test O2 levels.

Then, the next step might be water samples for chemical analysis if you're willing to go to that expense.

You might also ask the DNR about it if you haven't already. Although, I once asked the MD DNR about why tidal rivers on the western side of the Chesapeake didn't support LM bass, even in the upper reaches of the tidal zones, while those on the eastern side did support them. I was told it was due to prevailing currents and salinity coming in from the Chesapeake Bay. Since then LM bass have been caught in the upper reaches of some of those western shore rivers, although not many. Rivers on both sides of the bay support Pickerel and various freshwater panfish species so it always seemed to me they should support bass too.

The fact is, unless the DNR has an interest in testing and finding an answer, they may have never really looked for one very hard. IMO, that was the case in those MD rivers.  ::)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Could it be that given the proximity to the nice cover provided by the docks such a short distance away that the pull to be there is much stronger. The fish find it that much better that just by the draw of the dock there is none staying on that point?  :-\

I know that doesn't excuse the lack of marine life to zero in that area but its the best I could come up with. 
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here
IBASS CLASSIC 2018 3rd place / IBASS 2017 4th place 

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »

possibly a spring?  but with low oxygen levels?

bigjim5589

• Forum Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »

Usually springs aid in oxygenating the water, because of currents created but perhaps that's not always the case. It's certainly possible a spring could be contaminated away from the lake & bringing something toxic to that location in the lake.

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

Usually springs aid in oxygenating the water, because of currents created but perhaps that's not always the case. It's certainly possible a spring could be contaminated away from the lake & bringing something toxic to that location in the lake.

just thinking 'point source'.  since everythng else looks to be there, just not baitfish, food source or predators.

wizard:  you ever drop a crayfish trap down there and see if any are around?

TNDiver

• Life Member
  • Too many hobbies, too little time!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »

I wonder if there aren't chemicals coming from the resort leaking into the water.  I am thinking grass fertilizers, weed killer, etc.  I then wonder what is below the sediment?  Is there off gassing in that area that effects oxygen levels?  Did the resort dump some stuff into the lake?  Could be something too like another area just has more and better food sources. 
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

Wizard

• Charter Member
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 08:40:20 PM »

I'm going to look into TNDIVER's idea of something buried. I heard that when the resort, Lodge of Four Season, was built, a lot of overburden was pushed into the lake. An old road runs to the point.
Dale, schools still use the cove in September. Now, they suspend under shad in the center of the cove. Some other changes in the area. During summer, when the shad schools form between the Lodge and Chimney point, huge schools of white bass stay with them. I've seen as many as 100 boats fishing at the same time. Also Walleye off the major drops.

Wizard

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 24 queries.