Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lunar Tables Question  (Read 206 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Lunar Tables Question
« on: December 07, 2018, 06:00:46 PM »

As we are planning our bucket list trip to Florida, a very different response was received from my proposed guide.  This guide (very experienced)  pays a lot of attention to Lunar cycles.  I must say this have never really come up before for any of my trips.  Then again, I have never fished in Floridia.  The guide is encouraging me to select dates during the Full Moon or New Moon Phases.  He even provided the time periods in question. 

I have never paid much attention to lunar tables before and wish to verify or test the guides recommendations and ask you folks what you think of planning a trip by these cycles.  Please consider that this is a bucket list trip and my goal is for Big Bass and maybe even my first 10+.  Lets hear what your thought might be about this.

Also the guide has rated 4 lakes in the area with the best potential for big bass.  Here is his list

#1  Lake Istokpoga

#2  Lake Toho

#3  Lake Kissimmee

#4  Lake Okeechobee

I'll admit that I was a bit surprised at his ranking list.  FYI this list is based on using lures and not bait.

Champriderz

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: Lunar Tables Question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »

I'm not a big sight fishing guy but my friends who live and die with it absolutely believe in the full moon.    Just like the major and minor feeding cycles, I more or less ignore them and go when I can.  I think there are so many other variables that can affect the bite I just try to ignore that and fish hard all day but if your schedule allows I would go by the guide's recommendation.

Steve81

• Largemouth
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:07:20 AM »

I also would go with what the guide recommends. Outside of the fact that he certainly knows more about the lake than his clients, I am also a firm believer in the effects of the moon phase on the spawn.

If this was a bucket list kind of trip, I would definitely want all odds stacked in my favor.
2007 Triton Tr21X/225 Pro XS
Hijacker JP/25P Tempest
Lowrance electronics

FD

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:04:52 AM »

Bud,

His big fish lake list is right on.
Istokpoga is the gem in that list that gets the least pressure and can be the hardest to fish.

I also believe in the lunar tables but, weather trumps the tables in Florida.

If the weather is stable for a week then the tables are fairly accurate however when you’re having fronts blow through every 5 days, the tables go out the window.

That does not do you any good when your planning a trip just keep it in mind when you get here.

If I was planning a trip, I would shoot for a new moon and hope for stable weather.

Sent from the end of the paved road...
TR 20X2 - Merc 250 Pro XS - Humminbird        Ford F-550 4X4

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »

if you ever spend enough days and nights on the water and pay attention, bass's feeding cycles certainly do change times.  moon cycles do play a big role when bass are in the spawning cycle.

even deer hunters will tell you that there are times when deer are way more active during the middle of the day as opposed to first and last light.  it all coincides with the moon and gravitational pull.

way back, there was a company that published a booklet called the action graph.  it was based on the moon cycles, and had a graph of the peaks and valleys of activity during each 24 hour cycle.  that thing was so accurate it was unbelievable.  i would always plan to hit my best spots for bigger bass during the times of the peaks and valleys because that was always when the bigger bass caught always occurred after keeping track for a few years.  a gave one to my brother to use for deer hunting and same thing, he found it to be very accurate for deer activity and began to use it to plan his deer hunting times.

so, bud, i would say the guide is giving you some good advice.

bo

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »

I guess in all my years of taking fishing vacations, the fishing was secondary to the time.  For this trip however I can go anytime and the entire trip is being planned around the types of things that the guide is recommending.  Probably this is why I never worried about the lunar cycle because the time and date schedule were more important.  Now in my retired years the time has little value and I am able to take advantage of these kind of nuances. 

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 11:16:28 AM »

Depending on how close you can book a trip with this guide, and how open he/she is to leaving a spot open for you on short notice, I would let them tell you when they think the best time will be and book that time.

How close to the date you go can you book? Are we talking weeks, or days? If it's weeks, I would try and pin them down for more specifics. Generally speaking, a lot of people will fish the new moon over the full moon if given the chance, and vice versa. Your guide might be the same way. Try and get as specific as possible and you will have the best chance at catching a bucket list fish IMO.

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »

I am one of those folks who like to plan well in advance.  I don't do many things at the last minute.  We have already selected two dates for this trip.  One date is at full moon cycle and one is at the new moon cycle. The trip most likely is happening in mid March or very early April.  The early April choice (new Moon) is my present choice given projections of water temp will be.  I am currently awaiting date confirmation from the guide and then will book some lodging. 

I have hired many guides in my years and the fact remains that it is a business and I would not ask them to hold any dates.  Once the date is finalized I will make the deposit to officially book the days.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »

Bud, you most likely made the best choice, the guide knows his water and what gives the client the best shot.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Fun4me

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »

I am one of those folks who like to plan well in advance.  I don't do many things at the last minute.  We have already selected two dates for this trip.  One date is at full moon cycle and one is at the new moon cycle. The trip most likely is happening in mid March or very early April.  The early April choice (new Moon) is my present choice given projections of water temp will be.  I am currently awaiting date confirmation from the guide and then will book some lodging. 

I have hired many guides in my years and the fact remains that it is a business and I would not ask them to hold any dates.  Once the date is finalized I will make the deposit to officially book the days.

Apologies. I didn't word my post well enough to get my thoughts out. I wasn't saying you should expect the guide to hold dates for you, I meant that I wondered if the guide could slip you in on short notice, assuming you and the guide would be willing to do that.

Example;

Mr. Kennedy, this is *insert guide*. The big girls are biting, the weather is stable, and I had a cancellation for day after tomorrow. If you want the spot, it's yours. Something like that, although it sounds like last minute planning isn't something you would prefer. 

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »

OK, I understand what you are saying.  I guess he would probably do that if I asked.  The real issue is time and distance.  By the time everything gets rounded up and made ready here at home the short notification would probably have passed.

One of the real fun things for me when planning a trip like this is to scope out all of my options.  Make all the reservations and then have plenty of time to fantasize about how good the trip and the fishing are gonna be.  This is when I get to catch nothing but big fish in my dreams.  ~gf

For me the anticipation of a trip is almost as good as the trip itself.   I guess that is just the way I roll.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 24 queries.